What's new

Coasters with on-board audio

Xpress

Strata Poster
Interesting... Super caps are more developed than my previous knowledge understood.... I need to do some reading.....

cp23

Mega Poster
Does Oblivion still say 'Don't Look Down' at the top of the drop?? Is/was that on-board audio or are there speakers at the top of the drop?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^The speakers are on the actual track/supports, not the car.

I can't remember hearing it for a good few years now actually. It's either off, or they've turned the volume right down, likely to do with noise complaints form the locals.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
X2's onboard audio is epic. It really adds to the ride. Unfortunately, during the day, you can rarely hear it during the ride.

I think I'd go as far to say that it's better than Screamin's... that same song can get old after a while. But I still like it, it fits the ride and elements perfectly.

The rest, like Terminator and the Bizarro's, aren't even worth the mention.

cp23

Mega Poster
CreditCrazy said:
X2's onboard audio is epic. It really adds to the ride. Unfortunately, during the day, you can rarely hear it during the ride.

I think I'd go as far to say that it's better than Screamin's... that same song can get old after a while. But I still like it, it fits the ride and elements perfectly.

The rest, like Terminator and the Bizarro's, aren't even worth the mention.

I can't for the life of me remember whether the audio was working when I rode X2, I was too scared of the first drop and then spent the rest of the ride trying to brace myself against the roughness/forces!! Loved the ride but was incredibly rough, I came back into the station with both my legs in the same 'leg well' of the seat.

I still don't get why people don't like the Terminator audio; I love it! :-D

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
I think what the audio actually says is really good, but they NEVER got the sound right. Ever since Media Day, it's been almost mute. And now it's gone...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Ohh thanks Gavin. I did have a look for Halloween, but unfortunately I'm going just after it all finishes, early Nov. Ohh well. Quite excited, never done a Disney before, although I think HK is quite small.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah, it's tiny, but they have the best version of Space Mountain (the LA/Tokyo version, but newer) and unique versions of The Jungle Cruise and Small World, instead of the cut 'n' paste jobs you get at all the other parks. It's cheap, too.

Try and go to Ocean Park as well if you get time. There should be a new coaster there this season (Arctic Blast) to add to the existing two. Plus, the location is probably the most impressive of any park I've been to.

Anyway, on board audio, yeah, not impressed really for the most part etc.

rickydoodle

Roller Poster
cp23 said:
Does Oblivion still say 'Don't Look Down' at the top of the drop?? Is/was that on-board audio or are there speakers at the top of the drop?
The speakers were removed quite a while ago. The mounts are there, the speakers however, are not.

Tim said:
Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris was the first implementation of onboard audio back in 1995.
The first implementation was actually a year earlier on Casey Jr., Le Petit Train du Cirque. Disney used this as a test bed for the concept as they hoped to include it in Space Mountain.

I quite like on board audio - my only annoyance is how unreliable some of the systems are. Many of the Disney systems seem to work first time but I have ridden RnRC & SM without audio and it really kills the ride experience. This also happened on Blue Fire during one of our rides.

If the audio is supposed to be an integral part of the experience, it needs to be working much more reliably than it often does on many installations.

cp23

Mega Poster
Slightly off-topic since we've established that the Oblivion audio is not an example of on-board audio, but why exactly were the speakers removed? I always thought it added quite a bit of tension to the ride, and can't imagine that it created that much noise for the surrounding area. Is it just a further example of Merlin cost-cutting?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Complaints from the locals. They said that "the speaker announcement added too much tension to the ride and caused excessive screaming".

It was ruled in court and a noise abatement order put in place. So Alton had to remove it as part of the court ruling :(

cp23

Mega Poster
Woh that's absolutely crazy, you couldn't make it up. Oh well, rather lose a bit of audio (however much of a shame it is) than the whole ride; AT just wouldn't be the same without it.

Xpress

Strata Poster
furie said:
Complaints from the locals. They said that "the speaker announcement added too much tension to the ride and caused excessive screaming".

It was ruled in court and a noise abatement order put in place. So Alton had to remove it as part of the court ruling :(

Old people.... Once their hearing goes, then they can put it back up.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I have ridden RnRC & SM without audio and it really kills the ride experience.

Totally agree with that.

The original Space Mountain soundtrack was so awsome...I like the M2 soundtrack, but the original was miles better, totally unique.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y6tIk4zuas[/youtube]