What's new

Coasterfreck's Coasters

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
So my first majour rollercoaster that I did on RCT3 that I was proud to share was a B&M Wing Coaster.
The Serpent - RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 B&M Wing Coaster
POV
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGU-kh-cWTg[/youtube]
Screenshot
Shot0025-800x600_zps510a0a1e.jpg

I will upload more in this topic soon.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Good to see a new face around the RCT3 forums. Welcome!

Now, as for my thoughts on the coaster. The first half of the layout is quite nice...compact, full of inversions, and looks good. The corkscrew feels like it would be a tad bit too forceful considering the coaster's speed going into the inversion. As for the brake run, keep the brakes consistent and slow the train gradually if you wish to bring it down a few notches. The helix part looks nice but would probably be somewhat boring in real life. My advice, just cut out a helix on each side, a single should be fine for each. Overall a great first effort and looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.

P.S.: Custom supports will fix any clipping issues that will undoubtedly arise with the Wing Coaster CTR.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Thanks reddude333, for the constructive feedback I will bare that in mind with my next rollercoaster, I am glad you liked the first half though. I normally don't add custom coasters onto RCT, however I really wanted to design a couple of Wing Coasters and see how they would handled the layouts, I would throw at them, plus I had always wanted to see what Colossus (TP) would be like with Wing Coaster trains.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKEnoQWcVjQ[/youtube]
Any my latest rollercoaster is a B&M Inverted Coaster called Thunderstorm.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkRexNNK0VE[/youtube]
Unfortunately I currently don't have any screenshots of these coasters.

BBH

Giga Poster
While they're both decent coasters, the inversions and brake runs seem a bit too forceful on both. ;)

Hint: for the corkscrew in the first WC, try the 90* dive loop, that's what GateKeeper and Hydra have.

reddude333

Giga Poster
On the wing coaster version of Colossus I think you used barrel rolls when you meant to use in-line twists...realistically, this would make a huge difference on a wing coaster and it is also more accurate to Colossus. As for Thunderstorm, I like the track interaction. You are doing a good job with the compact portions of your coasters. Perhaps consider using the large corkscrew though. You seem to like having way too much speed going into corkscrews which would be quite painful. Regardless, the invert is pretty nice.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
So today, I have made 2 new rollercoasters with RollerCoaster Tycoon 3.
The first being a B&M Hyper Coaster called Sky Dragon, which I went a little bit out of my comfort zone, as I prefer to make much more compact coasters.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh69-r3PRTM[/youtube]
The second being a LIM Launch Coaster called Reshiram Fury, which is based on a rollercoaster I made on RollerCoaster Tycoon 2.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5e17T97Wjg[/youtube]
And here is a screenshot of Reshiram Fury
Shot0087_zps0c8c832a.png

BBH

Giga Poster
I get the name and that's a bit sad IMO. :lol: I think the corkscrews are a bit too forceful and fast. Somebody could injure themselves going at that speed through such a relatively small element.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
I've just created a spiral coaster, called Spiral Mountain - Yeah I struggle with making creative names.
Here is the POV
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mZSsYXexjM[/youtube]
Here are some screenshots of it:
Shot0094_zpsd173e3dc.png

Shot0097_zps30821e2a.png

Shot0098_zps4adeee8c.png

Shot0100_zps805cc1a4.png

BBH

Giga Poster
Great coaster, but that's not what Schwarzkopf Speed Racers are for. :lol:

scw55

Hyper Poster
I think the helix section has 1 too many 'laps'. Helai are 'fun', but not for long. Personally, I only do 1 lap at the very most for a helix.

If you find that you have to have excessive helai, perhaps consider if your lifthill is too high. Lifthills higher than needed often gives the train too much speed, which means you may have to include aesthetically unpleasing elements just to eat up the speed, or throw in dodgey breaks. With coasters 'less is more'. But you can get away with 'more' if it looks good.

It's not uncommon to do an initial layout, and then modify it quite heavily. If you see on my thread with 'duelling insects', you can see a drastic difference from the 'completed' layout and the 'teaser' image. I basically removed 1/3 of the lifthill. This allowed me to create a better looking layout that wasn't too busy on the eye. It also meant it didn't end abruptly. Conversely, on a layout I have only teased about, but never showed off 'complete' (the B&M red one with smoke), I removed 2/3 of the layout entirely. I did some really weird things with it originally. Ingenious ideas, but practically didn't work. Even then, during the revision, I had to 'iron out' a section due to the intensity of the section.

I understand that your coasters which you share with us are 'stand-alone concepts' with no intention for terrain/scenery/theming. However, if you 'smoothed' out the pits the coaster forms, or gave them a better form, then it would look better. It makes the world the coaster set in look very mine-crafty due to the cube nature of the excavation. You can use the 'snap terrain' tool or manually tweak it easily.

Seeing what other people do with your chosen coaster type can be helpful. I don't mean copy them. It's good to be unique, but seeing what other people can achieve can broaden your own ideas. Perhaps you can take someone's unique aspect and take it in a new direction.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
You've got some undoubtedly great ideas and creativity, and it's always nice to see a new face on the
forums! However, to take your work to the next level, here are a few suggestions:

Big isn't necessarily better - The second half of Sky Dragon's layout was realistic and smooth, however, on rct3, the faster you go, the rougher the POV and the harder it is to find ample sized elements. Try to stick within the boundaries of the coaster model.

Scenery! - So far, your landscaping seems a little artificial and out of place. Simply add in a station, landscaping, theming and foliage to make your coaster complete!

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Thank you all for your feedback and I do appreciate it, I know my main lacking is scenery and terrain as I purely just like creating coasters without it, I also prefer RCT3 coasters as stand alone.

I decided to remake my Sky Dragon coaster and have taken on board something scw55 suggested which was to lower the lifthill, the original peak height of the lifthill was at 260ft approximately, I have shrunk this hill by the 60ft, the layout also used to feature two over banked turns, which has been increased to three, and I have also got ridden the Mid Course Breakrun.
Here is the pov of Sky Dragon 2:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1CryzkgsrM[/youtube]
Here are some screenshots of Sky Dragon 2
Shot0109_zpsc9607675.png

Shot0107_zps5151a9de.png

Shot0106_zps81da5994.png

Do you prefer Sky Dragon or Sky Dragon 2?

reddude333

Giga Poster
I like the addition of the bunny hills at the end (although there may be a couple too many). Also, I suggest using the gradual flat-to-banked turn on the large helical hill. The transition is just too jerky for those speeds. Mostly good changes though. It's also worth considering a way to avoid having the train move at such slow speeds on the final helix.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
My newest coaster is a Vekoma Tilt Coaster, called Dragon's Fury, it is also the first rollercoaster that I have made completely over water.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTGFwxmhDH4[/youtube]

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
It began of really great. But those brakes were too sharp and also made the helix fairly bland. Simply reduce the deceleration of the brakes. It's a cool concept going over water but as others said, lets see some scenery! A cool Atlantis Theme, with stones and a broken stone monster in the water with some mist. Just some advice but your coaster are all good but there is plenty of potential to improve them.

But nice job! :)

scw55

Hyper Poster
I agree with the breaks. They feel too sever for the incoming helix. Gradually decelerating breaks make for a more comfortable viewing and generally looks more pleasurable.

The helix feels like it is placed there as an interesting way to get the track to the right elevation to complete the circuit. If you refer to real-life coasters, a lot of them have a section before entering the station that is flat. By watching real-life PoVs of coasters you can get a better understanding at how to convey a more plausible design without sacrificing your own imagination and creativity.

There is on criticism to think about with regards the tilt-coaster. The tilting element is quite a theatrical section. It feels like it's not appreciated in the layout.
Suggestions would be to have the Tilt-Section to be 'on show'. Like how Oblivion (Alton Towers)'s vertical drop is emphasised. Or by including the Tilting to be part of a narrative. The Tilt is special.
Use of scenery would be useful for both of these suggestions.

I liked the use of water. I liked the air-time hills. I liked the refined nature of the layout.
Personally I'm not fond of coasters that tend to stay "in the same plane". But if you look at B&M Hyper coasters many of them have the same footprint. Perhaps if the coaster had a strict boundary it needed to fit in I would understand. But there was room to expand on either side. It would be exciting to try branching out in different directions. I'm enjoying "diagonals" at the moment myself.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Another update, here is Zodiac my first ever RCT3 Woodie Coaster.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHXkeBgyEG4[/youtube]

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
The pacing was much better. Towards the end however got a little dull and again the brakes were a bit harsh. The name "Zodiac" I don't see how it fits the ride. This is where scenery can come to support the name and is something I would like to see in your future projects. It was a great first attempt for a first woodie though and you seem to have loads of coasters going. Just next time, get theming and it seems that for the past two rides, the ending (brakes and final elements) need some improving.

Looking forward to your next coaster!

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Thanks once again for your feedback Nemesis of Oblivion,
Firstly I am really bad at coming up with names, so will utilise any ride name which is floating around in my head at the time of giving it a name, the other name for Zodiac that I had in mind was "Rocky Mountain".
On a scenery note, I have always been really bad at scenery and landscaping on RCT3 and also on the predecessor RCT2, which is why all of my coasters have been done without scenery and will most likely continue without it.

In my next coaster I am going to try and work on my brakes and ending element, as my last couple/actually quite allot of my coasters have ended with a helix.