What's new

CoasterCrazy's NL Development Thread - Bodacious

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Hello all!

I've been playing rct3 for a long while, but after being enlightened to Nolimits by CF and youtube and my desire to create more realistic coasters, I finally bought Nolimits and decided to start with something moderately easy to learn the game....so I've almost completed a classic - an Arrow Dynamics Corkscrew (although ironically I've never actually ridden one).

It's progressing well so far, but there are a few teething questions I need to ask to help me :)
- Is there an arrow corkscrew support template or will I have to do it manually? :( Urgh...
- How does manual dispatch mode work? I've tried all the relevant F keys, but they don't seem to ever work...can I change the hotkeys?
-Creating two coasters in one file?
-Technical vocabulary?

Anyway, onto the pictures...

rqzH80b.png

wqLMGv6.png

H80E9dX.png

rOcW2n4.png

nR7aXys.png

nj4xZQA.png

NHOqBVU.png

odAqpIj.png

YsgqIJr.png

This is my first Nolimits creation so help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone :--D

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Arrow Corkscrew Recreation

CoasterCrazy said:
Hello all!
Hola

Is there an arrow corkscrew support template or will I have to do it manually? :( Urgh...

Manual. You could use the wooden supports, remove the catwalks, wide supports, and handrails. From there, highlight all supports, then click the on either large or small steel support tab, whichever you choose, and then click the support tab at the top, then go down to where it says transform supports, and then they are all steel. From there, use your judgement to delete where needed.

How does manual dispatch mode work? I've tried all the relevant F keys, but they don't seem to ever work...can I change the hotkeys?

F11 turns on manual dispatch, enter dispatches. F9 and F10 open and close the gates/harnesses.

Creating two coasters in one file?

For the moment, you can't have too separate coasters in one track, that will appear in NL2. If you want dueling/racing/mobious you can just add a station segment next to the current one and then click sync, and then it should work.

Technical vocabulary?

What do you mean by technical vocabulary?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope that helps

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Without negating the work you've already done, NL2 isn't far off release, so you would have probably been better waiting for that since I doubt NL1 will see much use in 2014.

With that said, what you've got so far looks pretty good for a first time. For supports, you could use the in-game supports (prefabs) but they don't look good as it's much easier to create your own. (Don't listen to the people that say it's difficult, the difficult part is getting a good track).

I don't tend to use manual dispatch myself as it does a great job automatically but you can change hotkeys via the simulator's option menu.

As for technical vocabulary, it's best to pick it up as you go along. 7 years of using NL and I am STILL learning stuff about to this day. But with NL2 coming along, I'm not sure how much use learning NL1 will be.

No, only one coaster per track file (Unless you create a 3Ds model, but that can't be ridden). NL2 includes this feature.

Anyway, with all that said, welcome to the world of No Limits :)

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Thanks all for your contributions! Thanks for accepting me into the world of Nolimits on CF!

Anyway, after many hours of tedious custom supporting, this recreation is finally complete! Overall, I'm reasonably content with my creation (a few spots here and there but hey) and it was a great kickstarter project for later coasters! Sorry it took so long....I never have much time on my hands!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZhyWK4ZGg&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Uncle Arly said:
Without negating the work you've already done, NL2 isn't far off release, so you would have probably been better waiting for that since I doubt NL1 will see much use in 2014.

Completely agree with you :--D . At the time when I bought NL, it was in the days when NL2 was a mere rumour, so I just went ahead and bought it! I intend to buy NL2 very soon, so expect more from me in the next few months (or to be realistic, years). Just a few questions:

Is there enough of a difference between the two versions (standard and pro) to warrant buying pro?
How's the video output for both?

Is supporting, or even general building, any easier and quicker in NL2?

How long does it take to 'master' or even understand?

Finally, how much digital space does it take up? Will I need a good processor to be able to play it well (I have windows 7, so I know it will work but...)

Thanks everyone :p

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
So after many failed 'experimental projects', I've finally completed my first NL2 coaster, a GG Timberliner, which I've named Bodacious. The intention was to create a Timberliner with an amalgamation of an out and back layout, and wooden twister elements. A few pacing problems, but overall, I'm content with how it turned out.

No screenshots this time, as I built this in a little bit of a rush, but here's the final video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDI1-dqJtY0[/youtube]