Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Both serve a different purpose.

But if you could only have one what would it be?

Would you opt for a video of a ride, or a few photos of a ride?

A video could be a montage of the ride, with on/off ride shots and could last for as long as you liked.

A few photos could contain an action shot, perhaps some shots of the theming.

Personally I'd rather opt for some photographs than a video.

I usually find with a video, I'll watch it perhaps twice and then forget about it. Photos, I can go back to, study in detail and look at that one image to conjure up a thousand memories. Photos are ideal for backdrops, for showing to friends and families without a PC.

How about you? Video or photo?

Mat

Hyper Poster
Blimey that was hard!

I love them both becuase you can do so much with a camera with the shutter speed and apature settings.

But with a video you can do so much more with it editing wise. You can add music, do fanci text, fanci voices the list goes on!

A

Anonymous

Videos..
As it goes, when I am observing coaster media [ahem!] I want to see what the coaster is really about...
Sure, photos can look neat, and are easy to look at in a second.. but I can more or less remember snapshots of coasters I have been on.. and it is very hard to put photos of places you have never been into perspective.
Videos do that well, and are great for really showing you what a ride is about.
They are excellent for comparing rides and finding the weak points of them (roughness etc.) which would never come up on a photgraph.

Having said that, I far prefer taking photos, myself. As I can make them much more artistic, and are very good for just keeping, and looking at from time to time. They are so much easier to take, and take a lot less time, and memory.

So its a tie for me.. but I voted videos, before I really thought about the question :p

Titan

Mega Poster
Ive been approached with this problem finally. On my trip to KK's public opening, I took quite a few videos, of launches.. mechanics doing things.. etc. But after a while I found that photos of those same things would be alot more versitile. Easier to show people, smaller files, clearer and higher quality, and dont have to be downloaded to be seen. So now my theory is "if its interesting and you dont have a million of versions of it, take photos". So yeah, photos for me. Besides, if I lost or got a video camera stolen, I have to pay quite a bit of money for a new one. And luckily Ive had good luck with replaceing one stolen digital camera and one lost camera.

Aaron

Hyper Poster
You won't be suprised by my answer, it's video.

While photos are great and can be really powerful, they just can't convey as much as a video, especially a well made one.

Martyn

Giga Poster
As most of you know, I love both. I really enjoy editing video (even though filming it tends to be a bit of a chore!) and I am very much into photography so I like to take pictures too!
It's really irritating though because on trips, if I'm filming, I never get time to take any stills, and if I go with the intention of just taking stills, then there's usually some sort of member antics that I wish I'd got on video!

I think overall, I still prefer photographs, but I got into video because I wanted to provide something different as a report for my trips. Now that there's loads of filmmakers about, I think this season I'm going to concentrate on my still photography, providing I get a new camera...

Scott88

Hyper Poster
A very difficult decision!

I really like looking at photograph's, it gives so many memorys!

I think overall though I prefer videos, I dont normally forget about them, for example I have every bpb video that I watched last year in a folder on my pc, same with Alton videos, I always go back to watch them. Also I enjoy filming alot more than I enjoy taking pictures because my photograph's normally look crap and my videos are alot better!

A

Anonymous

Photo's. While I do like watching Video's, after one or two viewings I turn it off and probably never watch it again. When I'm taking photos I like to make it look interesting, for instance making it quite arty, impressive.

For instance http://www.ukcoastercollection.cwoadatabase.co.uk/slammer4.jpg
wouldn't look as impressive in a video as it would just speed through.

Angel

Hyper Poster
I really dont know tbh with you. If its me personally Im much more swayed to photos simply because of my interest in photography but I also appreciate a well made coaster video.

Im going to vote photos as I do prefer them, you can look at the detail in them and when they come out well they look awesome. When something goes wrong you can just sit and have a laugh about it.

Howver I like both, but photos gets my vote.

joe

Mega Poster
In video's I often pause it to see a shot, and it gets annoying. Videos do capture the ride well, but I forget about it after a few views (except for CF live videos).

Photo's are alot better IMO, they capture the ride in a nice way and I love viewing the pictures over again.

So photo's for me!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I personally enjoy good photos (GOOD being the key word there :lol: ) better than videos. I mean, sure, videos are nice, but they don't give me as good a view and perspective of the ride as still photos do.

I mean, sure, videos are nice and all, but photos give a better in depth view of the ride IMO.

Yeah, it was a very hard choice, but I have to say photos, because a video could be watched 1,000 times, memorized and then not watched after a more recent video is produced, then after another video is produced after that one, the other is forgotten about (get my point now?).

Then there are photos on the other hand, that tell a bunch of stories in just 1, making them all that more special. Also, you never get bored of seeing the same picture twice, thinking about the fun times you had that day and telling people about it.

Scarlet

Mega Poster
This is quite difficult, but I definitely prefer videos. Obviously they have to be of good quality. I just love raw footage of a ride and if it's anything that I am drawn to then I can watch it to no end without ever becoming bored of it.

Every single video I've ever filmed brings back a ton of memories. Photos do too, but videos have the sound, the excitement and atmosphere and the moment all in one. I watch my detonator videos far more than I look at my detonator pictures (yes haha they have their own sections on my computer :lol:)

FastAndFurious

Mega Poster
I have 180 vids, including 147 POVs. Personally I prefer onride videos as long as the quality is good enough, in otherwise I choose pictures.

Kat

Mega Poster
That one is a really tough choice. Living up here in cumbria and not being able to drive, I havent been too many parks so I do love to see a good coaster video because then I can see the parks more clearly and can get a better idea if I wish to go there, yet pictures can capture the drops on coasters better and the escence of a ride and make me all the more want to visit the park. So I shall go for pictures.

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Gee thanks Ian, thats a real toughie!

I love the versatility of video, you can actually see the speed and direction of the ride, you have a much greater perception of the overall scene - thinks of the amazing way you can start with a wide shot and then zoom in to an object of interest....e.g. a sign :p Video also allows you to capture the atmosphere in a way that a photograph cant quite manage - the B&M roar. The downside of video is still the quality, which has improved dramatically but still falls short. Perhaps when HiDef video comes the the home marketplace, things will change.

Photographs do have that Hi Definition appeal, and way beyond. They capture a moment in time and last forever. they are far more versatile, can be framed and stuck on a wall forever, or indeed stuck in a phone or computer desktop image. They can capture the essence of a ride almost as well as video, but, as the song goes - " A picture can paint a thousand words"

For me a real toughie, I like both. If I have to choose though, it has to be a photograph.

A

Anonymous

I believe that videos give more of an impression of the parks atmosphere.

While photos can be powerfull, videos seem to get the edge over them because you can pack so much in.