What's new

Coaster knowledge

Do you feel awkward talking about coasters with non enthusiast friends?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Janey54

Roller Poster
I'm fine...THEY're the ones who feel awkward. There is always much eye rolling and comments such as ''Janey you know too much about roller coasters.'' or words to that effect.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
It depends on who I'm with, but in general I try to down play it because I don't want to bore people with stuff they're clearly not interested in. Sometimes I feel quite self conscious of how unusual coaster enthusiasm can seem to others; and am sick of the incredulous responses "what you traveled all that way just to ride a rollercoaster?!?!" when I tell friends about trips etc. Most of the time I just say 'went on holiday' and leave out all the theme park stuff.
I find it hardest when people who very rarely visit theme parks try to talk authoritatively on the matter; ie: people at work talking about 'Stealth, you know, that new for 2013 ride at Alton Towers.' I find it difficult to correct them without waffling on, or showing a little bit of goon rage at their false proclamations!

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Whenever I hear someone talking about rollercoasters/theme parks at work, my ears always prick up and usually I get asked about them - they pretty much know I'm the resident goon when it comes to that subject matter, so I'm fine talking about them.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Same as Tom, most people at work and all my friends know i'm a goon so I end up being asked for my opinion if they are going to a park.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Yeah, usually I try to correct people if their wrong about a coaster-related matter but they just tell me to shut up, or call me a geek for knowing too much. So, I've pretty much given up. If they think a 400ft drop tower is coming to Thorpe Park, than so be it. I prefer talking about coaster on this site, at least you get somewhere in a conversation.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Some of my friends kind of know that I a coaster fan. I try not to bring it up all the time though, because it seems like they don't care when I start talking about random coaster-related stuff.

The only time where a couple people thought I was crazy was when I explained to them about creds and how we coaster goons enjoy a nice kiddie coaster, and how kiddie coasters count as an actual coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Talk about digging up an old discussion!

It is never difficult talking about roller coasters with non-enthusiasts friends, as long as you realize the right context to talk in.

For instance:

What I would tell Snoo, a roller coaster fan: "Diamondback is one of my favorite hyper coasters because it has great floater airtime and a fantastic first drop compared to other B&M Hypers."

What I would tell other friends: "Kings Island has a roller coaster that is 200 ft. tall, similar to Magnum at Cedar Point. But, it is also smooth like Millennium Force, which makes it a fun ride."

Same message, different examples.

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
Some people find it quite interesting hearing about how the different rides work etc. But mainly people don't want to be bored with the facts no one other than us care about. All they need to know is how high, how fast, and how many times, "It goes upside down!"