What's new

Coaster Count Stages?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
This has probably been discussed on this forum at some point, but I'll ask now.

Of course, you can gauge a coaster enthusiast's level by many things (knowledge, passion, etc.), but probably the simplest gauge is the coaster count.

DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR HEAD A SENSE OF STAGES (AND STAGE LABELS) FOR VARIOUS COASTER COUNTS?

For example, these are the labels that I have in my head:

0 - 99 = Beginner
100 - 199 = Advanced Beginner/Beginning Intermediate
200 - 299 = Intermediate
300 and Above = Advanced ('seasoned enthusiast,' etc.)

Maybe some of you folks with astronomical counts think these numbers are too low?
Maybe some think they're too high?
Maybe you think any such labels are stupid? (To be clear, I'm not trying to establish here official, objective stages; I'm just asking if you have in your head a vague breakdown.)

Last edited:

Edward M

Strata Poster
0 - 99 = Beginner
100 - 199 = Advanced Beginner/Beginning Intermediate
200 - 299 = Intermediate
300 and Above = Advanced ('seasoned enthusiast,' etc.)

I agree with this mostly. I think once you hit 300 you are considered advance. However, I would say it continues. Those with 500+ are what I would call a seasoned enthusiast. 700+ is a pro enthusiast. 900+ is the top tier enthusiast. 1000+ means you are seriously one of the top enthusiasts in the world.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Obviously a certain amount of common sense can be applied. One person with a 300 cred count may have much more diversity than another. But I'd say, in general, that 300 suggests a certain amount of experience (different states, countries, park chains, manufacturers). One would hope it's not going to be 300 wacky worms!

However, I'd argue that it's quite easy to stay in the UK and rack up a rather high coaster count full of ****. But who would want to do that? Once you start getting into coasters in a big way (read: it starts taking over your life) I think you make a dedicated effort to travel to 'landmark' coasters simply because you want to try the best new experiences.

Actually, I'd gamble that once you get really high, you start getting a higher ratio of filler rides. In my own experience, I've been going to more exotic locations and end up visiting loads of parks in one go, mopping up things that I might otherwise have left for a later trip if closer to home. Also, you just get to the point where you've ridden a lot of the landmark creds from your bucket list. For example, I've ridden TTD, KK and Stealth so although I'm looking forward to the day I ride Xcelerator, I don't expect it to be a really new ride experience. Same having ridden X2 and Eejanaika but not Dinoconda. Obviously there are differences and you want to ride them all but the point is that those first few 100 of your coaster count are where all the really new experiences happen. When that first time on KK or X2 blows you away.

My advise to younger enthusiasts building up their coaster counts right now is to savour it - you still have it all to enjoy. It's not all about rushing to get 1000 creds.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Once you start getting into coasters in a big way (read: it starts taking over your life) I think you make a dedicated effort to travel to 'landmark' coasters simply because you want to try the best new experiences.
I think that hits closer to the truth, at least in terms of one's ability to "judge" rides objectively - it's about quality not quantity of the count. Folks that have ridden X Many ACE Classics or X Many Chart Topper Coasters would certainly carry greater weight than those who have ridden 15 Vekoma SLCs.

However...

What exactly are we measuring with a coaster count? If it is indeed a sheer level of fanaticism, then maybe the proposed level increments are correct as it only looks to obtain a barometer of sheer goonery. Yet if we are looking at it from a perspective of knowing what makes a "good" roller coaster, then riding those most regarded roller coasters is the way to go.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's a tough one, but the comments @Mysterious Sue and @Hyde have made feel fairly accurate.

A high coaster count is, of course, not the only measure of goon-y-ness. You could have easily ridden many of the best roller coasters in the USA, but only have a coaster count below 100. Equally, you could have a massive coaster count, but not have visited Cedar Point.

I think a lot of it comes down to the "what makes a goon a goon" - or as @Mysterious Sue put it "Breaking the Goon Barrier": http://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/breaking-the-goon-barrier.40662/

I think a definitive list of must-dos would be hard (read: impossible) to agree on, but I think some of the big ones would be:
  • Visiting the major parks (Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Magic Mountain, Europa Park, Phantasialand, Alton Towers, Happy Valley (which one?), Fuji-Q Highland, etc). These are the major parks, with some of the most iconic rides in the world.
  • Do a big coaster road trip (preferably in the USA)
  • Visit some more exotic countries and ride their lesser known rides (thinking of my recent trips to Oman, Nepal and the Philippines). Doesn't have to be specifically a cred trip, but it's a great way to see the world and immerse yourself with the locals - in my opinion. Some may see this as just a "+1", but there's nothing quite like encouraging the old ride mechanic to get that old Schwarzkopf up and running (true story from Muscat, last year)!
  • Coming on a CF Live! :p Only half joking with this one, to be honest. I think a good part of being a goon is going on a proper goon trip with other goons!
  • Go to a park alone! Contrary to the point above, I think it's a good one to do at some point (I personally rather like it).
I'm sure you'd be able to think of more, but I think that's a good starter for 10.

Crucially, I don't think coaster count is the only metric. Naturally, you don't get the higher counts without doing these things, but I think it's perfectly possible to have coaster counts in the 250+ category and never left the USA (+Canada), Europe, etc. In my mind, however you cut it, that's pretty basic. ;)

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
It's a tough one, but the comments @Mysterious Sue and @Hyde have made feel fairly accurate.

A high coaster count is, of course, not the only measure of goon-y-ness. You could have easily ridden many of the best roller coasters in the USA, but only have a coaster count below 100. Equally, you could have a massive coaster count, but not have visited Cedar Point.

I think a lot of it comes down to the "what makes a goon a goon" - or as @Mysterious Sue put it "Breaking the Goon Barrier": http://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/breaking-the-goon-barrier.40662/

I think a definitive list of must-dos would be hard (read: impossible) to agree on, but I think some of the big ones would be:
  • Visiting the major parks (Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Magic Mountain, Europa Park, Phantasialand, Alton Towers, Happy Valley (which one?), Fuji-Q Highland, etc). These are the major parks, with some of the most iconic rides in the world.
  • Do a big coaster road trip (preferably in the USA)
  • Visit some more exotic countries and ride their lesser known rides (thinking of my recent trips to Oman, Nepal and the Philippines). Doesn't have to be specifically a cred trip, but it's a great way to see the world and immerse yourself with the locals - in my opinion. Some may see this as just a "+1", but there's nothing quite like encouraging the old ride mechanic to get that old Schwarzkopf up and running (true story from Muscat, last year)!
  • Coming on a CF Live! Only half joking with this one, to be honest. I think a good part of being a goon is going on a proper goon trip with other goons!
  • Go to a park alone! Contrary to the point above, I think it's a good one to do at some point (I personally rather like it).
I'm sure you'd be able to think of more, but I think that's a good starter for 10.

Crucially, I don't think coaster count is the only metric. Naturally, you don't get the higher counts without doing these things, but I think it's perfectly possible to have coaster counts in the 250+ category and never left the USA (+Canada), Europe, etc. In my mind, however you cut it, that's pretty basic. ;)
250 in Europe is an achievement. A lot of traveling involved, then you get the likes of me.... balls

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Will

Strata Poster
^
Agreed.
454 in Europe took some degree of effort and whilst I'd obviously like to go to the US, there's a part of me that would like to have as big a number as possible from elsewhere first.
Admittedly, that's the same part of me that's never been to Ikea.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
250 in Europe is an achievement. A lot of traveling involved, then you get the likes of me.... balls
^Agreed.
454 in Europe took some degree of effort and whilst I'd obviously like to go to the US, there's a part of me that would like to have as big a number as possible from elsewhere first.
Admittedly, that's the same part of me that's never been to Ikea.
I should clarify, I'm very impressed (and frankly jealous) of your achievements. That amount of creds in Europe alone is impressive, but I think there has to be something to be said for broadening horizons too!

Problem is, you're the exceptions to the rule. You've got huge counts, from tons of countries, and had loads of experiences. My post was targeted a little more towards those who only visit the major parks in their country/state and adjoining countries/states, but could still easily rack up 100+ credits.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
What if a major factor in "experience" building is on gathering a good sample of different makes and models of roller coasters? So that's to say, rather than 200 roller coasters, the focus is on riding a Gravity Group, an Intamin Giga, a B&M invert, etc.

rob666

Hyper Poster
What about those of us who don't like air travel (for environmental reasons as well as limited legroom, I'm 6'4''), have never actually counted their coasters, but have ridden at least one new (different) one a year for the last 50 years?
Do I get a medal?
Or am I just a sad old git?

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
I don't think you can judge how much of an enthusiast someone is purely based off of number of credits. Certain people have more money and more opportunities to travel and get credits. Someone with 100 credits may be more of an enthusiast than someone with 200 credits who simply has an easier time travelling to new places.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I don't think you can judge how much of an enthusiast someone is purely based off of number of credits. Certain people have more money and more opportunities to travel and get credits. Someone with 100 credits may be more of an enthusiast than someone with 200 credits who simply has an easier time travelling to new places.
Well, as I said at the start of my question, it's clearly not THE gauge of coaster experience, but it is A gauge; it does say something, however incomplete that something is. But I expected resistance to the question, and if you don't want to take the question for what it is, because you insist a coaster count conveys nothing at all, that's totally fine, of course.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
According to the majority of the answers so far, I'm an intermediate. Yep, I'm happy with that, feels about right. 258 coasters in total, 6 different European countries (not including UK, obvs), Canada, 5 different US states, most of the major park chains covered etc... The only things that really let me down are my shockingly low wacky worm count (1, I think?) and my unwillingness to travel all the way to the Far East to get creds.
So an intermediate I shall probably remain.