What's new

Coaster Count needs to rethink what a roller coaster is.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
I have been looking at the coaster count website and found something which 100% is not a rollercoaster .
1941.jpg
Yes that's Right do you guys agree this thing is not a credit!
so i hope this is okay move this if you think this not in the right thread and if your wondering what this is.
it is
RidgeRider, Abbey Grounds

davidm

Strata Poster
Its also categorised on Coaster-Count as "undefined", which means that is not counted as a coaster unless YOU choose to count sketchy things like that or like the Seuss ride at Universal.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
Its also categorised on Coaster-Count as "undefined", which means that is not counted as a coaster unless YOU choose to count sketchy things like that or like the Seuss ride at Universal.
but why? a Larson super loop is more coaster than this and thats not on coaster count!

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
"more coaster"? Not sure about that, Larson loops are all powered and in a single plane, at least this is gravity-powered, has hills and turns.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
"Is it a cred?"

The age old question. Some things, like a good ol' B&M invert, are definitely coasters. Other things, like those Skywarp things, are a little more grey. What is absolutely black and white, however, is that that thing is not a coaster. :p

Silly, silly, Coaster-Count.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Just recalled that this thing was also listed on coaster-count. It's under undefined, but who in their right mind would count it as a coaster.
6148.jpg

Oh and I made a POV a few years ago, just to show how ridiculous it is...

Matt N

CF Legend
One thing I will say is that Captain Coaster's coasters are apparently inspired by Coaster Count, so I was rather interested to see that Grand National was classed as 2 credits despite being a Mobius, but rides like Gemini, Colossus at SFMM and Krypton at SFMM were classed as 1?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
While yeah I don't Think it's a coaster I don't see the problem with CC putting it on and letting people decide what they thinks a coaster.

I've yet to hear someone give me a satisfactory definition of a roller coaster to be honest. There are always exceptions to any rules I've heard people say.

davidm

Strata Poster
Totally checking loads of Intamins off today then :)
(but they are all "undefined" so don't 'count' of course, much like Seuss rides or Alpine coasters ;) )

Edit : Woohoo - 1000! :)
tmp.jpg
(only not really of course, and that 966 is 2 out as well because Mobius)

Last edited:

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've never seen Coaster-Count as an authority on what counts or not, just a tool to count things. It's up to the user to decide whether they want to be a dirty cred whore.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'll probably be going back and ticking off the Intamin drop things, mostly because I HATE seeing those red dots on parks I've been to, but I won't be increasing my "proper" count. My coaster-count count is a few higher than my proper count already for that reason. Like, I won't NOT tick off those bobcart things, but I'm totally not personally including them in my actual count.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ exactly ; and all that is the difference between the "Strict / Personal / All / Even More" counts on coaster-count - it lets you record what you have ridden and count what you deem to be worth counting.

To try to explain that to anyone who STILL doesn't understand, the fact that I have controllable and undefined 'highlighted' in that screen shot means that I don't count controllable (Alpines) and undefined (all the other junk) - so my 'personal' count is different to the 'all' count which would include those. And the 'strict' count excludes water coasters, butterfly and powered (but I'm not that strict) ;)

Coaster-count lets YOU decide what to count, it doesn't tell you what a coaster is though.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
"more coaster"? Not sure about that, Larson loops are all powered and in a single plane, at least this is gravity-powered, has hills and turns.
its playground equipment so is a zip wire. its not on RCDB as well if these count what about
ok then i want the monorail at chester to be added to coaster count as a a credit then as i decide it is! see its on website called coaster count and these ridge riders are on the same page of nemesis and icon that does not feel right ones are state of the art technology the other one is playground equipment, dangerous ones at that i wonder why so many are SNBO.

kenny cook

Mega Poster
While yeah I don't Think it's a coaster I don't see the problem with CC putting it on and letting people decide what they thinks a coaster.

I've yet to hear someone give me a satisfactory definition of a roller coaster to be honest. There are always exceptions to any rules I've heard people say.

The issue is, i don't think a single definition will ever define a coaster. There will always be exceptions to the rule, and there will always be a little bit of grey area. My overall opinion of whether to classify it or not is: If I walked up to 3 random GP in a park and asked them if that was a rollercoaster, would at least 2 of them say yes?? If yeah, then yeah, I'll count it (as they'd even know that Larson loops are coasters as seen by their facebook comments, and they'd know that a tiny loop in an England playground isn't one either)