What's new

(Coaster)BMac's Dev Topic

bmac

Giga Poster
A friend of mine gave me NoLimits as a gift for graduating high school and after basically pressing buttons and :xcensoredx:ing around with everything that NoLimits has to offer I started making designs. I've always been proud of how well I made roller coasters on RCT1, 2 and 3 and I feel I'm doing pretty good with NL so far but still have huge room for improvement overall. I want to get into engineering and hopefully impress the coaster manufacturers enough to get a job with one of them. That is still a good 4+ years away, so I might as well get cracking now.

Anyways onto the designs and a short disclaimer, I won't be doing anything too fancy, most I'll do is probably a custom station and some path making. Videos (when redone and posted, for now you have pictures until my internet speed gets better) will just be simple on-ride and off-ride videos (Sorry movie editing fans).

This OP will be a the hub for all my creations to be in one spot with albums and PoVs, everything new that has been made or done will be posted throughout the thread as per rules and also added to this post.

NoLimits Creations:

1. Kronos
Manufacturer: Intamin AG
Model: Mega Coaster
Design: Custom (Twisty Out-and-Back)
Length: 2694 ft.
Height: ~150 ft.
Drop: ~145 ft.
Top Speed: 62 mph
Vert: 4.3 G's
Lat: 1.4 G's
album
On-ride
Off-ride

2. Luftwaffe
Manufacturer: Gerstlauer
Model: Euro-Fighter
Design: Custom
Length: 1846 ft.
Height: 99 ft.
Drop: 96 ft.
Top Speed: 52 mph
Vert: 4.4 G's
Lat: 1.6 G's
Inversions (in order): Immelmann, Vertical Loop, Zero-G Roll, Sidewinder
album
On-ride
Off-ride

3. The Legend
Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard
Model: Sit-Down
Design: Custom Terra-coaster (influenced by Kumba, Silver Bullet and Kraken)
Length: 3816 ft.
Height: 141 ft.
Drop: 135 ft.
Top Speed: 61 mph
Vert: 4.2 G's
Lat: 1.6 G's
Inversions (in order): Vertical Loop, Cobra Roll, Zero-G Roll, Vertical Loop, Double Corkscrew
Other: 5 tunnels and a 96 degree overbank after first loop[/siz
album
On-ride
Off-ride
Download

4. Trailblazer
Manufacturer: Great Coasters International
Model: Wooden
Design: Custom Terra-coaster
Length: 3060 ft.
Height: 107 ft.
Drop: 103 ft.
Vert: 3.8 G's
Lat: 1.7 G's
Other: Mid-station pass through at 35 mph
album
On-ride
Off-ride
Download

5. Kuga
Manufacturer: Intamin
Design: Terrain
Length: 4670 ft.
Height: 157 ft.
Drop: 134 ft.
Top Speed: 66 mph
Vert: 4.7 Gs
Lat: ?
Other: Launch from 0-66 mph in 2.4 seconds
album
test launch

6. Xantia
Manufacturer: ?
Design: Terrain
Length: 7984 ft.
Height: 45 ft. (highest point off ground)
Drop: 175 ft.
Top Speed: 72 mph (achieved twice)
Vert: -1.2-4.2 Gs
Lat: 1.6 Gs
Other:
album
PoV
Download

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: (Coaster)BMac's Dev Topic - Trailblazer

Alrighty I have on-ride and off-ride videos of the other three coasters I've built and Trailblazer vids will be coming soon.

For now I have a stats bump that you might enjoy!

Length: 3060 ft.
Height: 107 ft.
Drop: 103 ft.
Vert: 3.8 G's
Lat: 1.7 G's

Snoo

The Legend

VERY jerky.. great layouts but still jerky through most elements. Work on your smoothing. :D

bmac

Giga Poster

yeah I've been working hard on improving that. Hopefully I can kink out as many rough patches as possible with Trailblazer before I give you guys a PoV. I'm also getting started on a launcher which really won't get much attention until I fix TB.

Intricks

Strata Poster

to help fix with the jerking, are you clicking on CON ROLL? That will help with continuous rolls for the most part and should help that issue out enough.

bmac

Giga Poster

Yeah I did use it on everything bar Kronos, which I probably blame it being my first try at NoLimits.

bmac

Giga Poster

In the meantime while my youtube account is acting up feel free to pick out colors for my next ride! I'm not really color co-ordinated so I picked out colors from the three school systems I went to in my life just to see how they'd work as coaster colors, I don't like most of them.

http://imgur.com/a/kwve0#1

If you want to suggest custom colors please tell me the RGB Numbers so I can get it exact.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: (Coaster)BMac's Dev Topic - Name TBD

Hmm... that on-ride video was really annoying to watch. Any chance you can upload the track file?

bmac

Giga Poster

youtube said my video could be shaky and they made it worse, I've since fixed it.

Yeah I'll upload the file when I get the time, hopefully tomorrow.

EDIT: and the videos still suck >_< I don't understand why youtube is being so crappy, they look fine in Windows Movie Maker. For the troubles, I'll give you the files for The Legend and TrailBlazer.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Don't bother doing the youtube fix. It doesn't help at all. I agree with Marcus though - your layouts are awesome, but your technique is not yet good. Keep making rides though - eventually you'll get really good at it. I've been using NL since 2006 and my rides just started getting really good last year.

bmac

Giga Poster

Glad to hear it :D.

6YdJW.jpg

I started working in the terrain for Kuga today and I noticed just how unforgiving NoLimits Terraformer can be most of the time. I smoothed out areas where I had to change a lot of the layout (conveniently a lot of my work today has been pictured above). I figured out how to abuse the Windows 7 glitch that doesn't save terraform files if there's no coaster previously put in. So Kuga will be the last coaster I make accounting for terrain, and instead utilizing the terrain that I make. The land shown here is definitely going to change a lot when I get closer to finishing. I also am deciding whether or not to have the train launch directly out of the station a la Premier Rides or to move out into a standing bay a la Intamin & Schwarzkopf. Either way the ride will be pulling a 1.5 G launch from 0-66 mph in the span of a little over 121 feet. I think the math puts it at 0-66 in 2.36 something seconds which I believe is pretty tame compared to the launch that HyperSonic XLC had (0-81 in 1.8 seconds). For a modern comparison Verbolten does 0-53 in about 2 seconds using about 105 feet of track.

I currently am about 30% done if I choose not to have a second launch put in. With the single launch so far to the part of the layout I have done the track length is going to be around 3800-4100 feet. The ride is really well paced for just a single launch, staying well above 30 mph the entire time. I don't know exactly what to do with a second launch but it won't make too much difference in the layout since the ride won't feature any inversions (but it does go vertical!).

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: (Coaster)BMac's Dev Topic - Kuga

Alright I got some really nice news for you guys, first:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dltcWI894[/youtube]

Second:
zF5TD.png

IkNfu.jpg

Third:
album

Fourth:
66 mph
157 feet tall (did some smoothing that bumped the height up a foot)
134 foot drop
4670 feet long
4.6 G's
3 trains

EDIT: I also wonder how I can bump up the quality of my videos to atleast 720p, because 480p is so 2004 and so annoying to watch.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

From what I can see, it's fairly smooth, but I'll have to wait for a ride on it in the simulator.

bmac

Giga Poster

Well I still have 3500 feet of supports to work on, and I don't even know how to handle the top hat. Since most of the ride is low to the ground it shouldn't be too difficult, but the huge mash-up under the top hat is going to be a lot of fun.

bmac

Giga Poster

Alright so I decided to get working on the top hat first, still deciding between a 5-point or a 3-point support for the top piece of the top hat.
6TG1x.jpg

j5WKi.jpg

I got the idea to do this sort of supporting from the recently opened Happy Valley S&S Launcher, Bullet Coaster:
79ck0021gh343dgh31t29o.jpg

2kt0r8hi1mo8hh2p4s8001.jpg

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

You don't need to support the arch on the tophat. Intamin track essentially supports itself on that part. Just take a look at Intamin Launchers

bmac

Giga Poster

I got a little over my head with smoothing and managed to screw a lot of the layout up in terms of transitions and stuff. Going to take a lot longer to fix the issues with Kuga.

So I'll be working on another project using pre-generated terrain. Pictures and other brilliant stuff will be coming soon.