What's new

China - 10 year old boy dies in tragic river rapids accident

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I managed to miss this news story last week (the accident occurred on the 6th) but I've just come across a whole host of articles on it.

What was meant to be a happy family reunion turned into a tragedy last week when a 10 year old boy died at West Park in Wenzhou, China. The accident occured on the parks river rapids ride when the boy fell into the water and became trapped in the rides conveyor belt lift which brings the circular rapids boats back to the station.

A roughly translated news story from the Chinese site WRZB can be read below.

“The accident happened suddenly, The boys aunt, Ms. Zhang who had been watching from the shore quickly called for help, but the belt did not stop. The aunt to the control room operator who stopped the operation of the conveyor belt.

When Ms. Zhang and park staff recovered the boy from the water, “the child was already bloody, his hands and feet had been crushed and he was not breathing.” The boys family broke down in tears.

The boys relatives said, the playground should set up warning signs on the shore, or have staff remind visitors not to disembark without permission, After the incident, the city has set up an accident investigation team and has experts on the scene to conduct a field survey and evidence collection”

The ride was swiftly closed down following the accident and the river channel drained of water. My heart and deepest sorrow goes out to the boys family and friends.

It's always difficult to read and write about accidents at theme parks and its tough to get the whole story about any incident especially when all the news is in Chinese. However it does sounds like a tragic accident. Can anyone identify the manufacturer of the rapids?
Pictures of the ride and a the accident scene can be seen below.

tragic5.jpg

tragic3.jpg

tragic4.jpg

Another picture of the scene can be seen in the link below but some people may find it disturbing so i left it out of the forum post. Perhaps some of our Chinese speaking members can shed a little more light on the accident too?

Source: http://vhcoasters.com/

Josh73

Giga Poster
Re: China - 10 year old boy dies in tragic river rapids acci

That picture was really sad. Good job not posting it.
The poor kid...

ry1996

Mega Poster

That's really bad, very sad, tragic story.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

Very tragic story. RIP that kid.

How'd it happen though? Did the boy fall out or just get before the station?