What's new

CF Coaster Tournament XII

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
The CF Coaster Tournament is back for the 12th consecutive year!

Seeding is almost entirely based on the coasters performance in the previous years tournament. If a coaster won in the first round last year, it automatically qualifies for the tournament this year. That will be the same for next year for first round winners this year. Don't get too caught up in seeding if you think a coaster is too high, or too low. (Especially with new coasters.) If you notice any errors, or have any legitimate grievances with the bracket let me know. Changes can, and often are made before voting kicks off.

Rules
1. Only vote once per matchup. (You can vote even if you have not ridden the coasters!)
2. Place your votes at the top of your post, followed by at least one line space if you would like to leave comments.
3. Place your votes in order of the matches presented.

Tiebreaker
Tiebreakers will work the same as most pervious years. For the first tie of the tournament, whoever the first person to post in the topic voted for will be the tiebreaker. Then, the second tie to the second person to post, etc. throughout the tournament.

Any coaster in the tournament who's name features a "*" (star) means there are clones of that coaster.

Additional Info
1. Anyone who accidentally votes twice for one matchup, and not at all for another, will have no votes counted in either matchup.
2. If you vote by the seed number, and submit a number that is not even competing, I will use my judgement as to what you were trying to vote for. If it is not clear, it will not be counted. (Typically I can tell because of how people vote in order.)
3. The brackets will say "Game #" and in the topic title I am changing that to "Match #s" so don't be confused by that.
4. Clicking on the name of the coaster in the bracket will link you to a POV or the coaster's RCDB page. If you notice an error let me know. (For the first round they will be added as coasters are up to compete as it takes a while to do all 128 at one time.)
5. Voting scores will appear in every matchup on the bracket as well.
6. To speed things up a little this year, I am going to post 16 matchups each day for at least the first round. If it works smoothly, I'll continue that for later rounds while still possible.

Past Winners
2007: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2008: T Express, Everland
2009: Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
2010: Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
2011: Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
2012: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2013: Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City
2014: Helix, Liseberg
2015: Skyrush, Hershey Park
2016: Helix, Liseberg
2017: Lightning Rod, Dollywood

Looking to start voting on Monday, October 1st. Voting will take place from midnight-midnight eastern time (GMT-5). If I do not close off voting, technically it is still open to vote. Also, please don't post the next one if I am late, unless messaging me first. As it is hard to be here every day for as long as this goes, if a day or two goes by without voting don't panic!

Any additional comments, or suggestions throughout the tournament please post them in here, I am always looking to improve it for future years.

Bracket can be found here: http://www.bracketmaker.com/tlist.cfm?tid=470653

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes! I love this. I'll try to keep an eye on the forum and sticky/unsticky the threads as we go. If you need a hand with any of it let me know. :)

Quick question, actually - how do you decide which new for 2018 coasters get included? Presumably they knock off the poorest performing of previous years, but how do you decide which ones, and how many, to add?

Snoo

The Legend
Looking forward to the Steel Vengeance result at the end.

Kinda forgone conclusion at this point. The rage boners of love for that ride is unprecedented. I do love this poll though. Interesting to see the results over the years.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
Yes! I love this. I'll try to keep an eye on the forum and sticky/unsticky the threads as we go. If you need a hand with any of it let me know. :)

Quick question, actually - how do you decide which new for 2018 coasters get included? Presumably they knock off the poorest performing of previous years, but how do you decide which ones, and how many, to add?
Thank you!

Coasters like Steel Vengeance I know will be popular so they're easy to throw in near the top. Outside of that, I go through all the new coasters on RCDB and list out all of the better looking ones (relatively conservative list at this point). Then I try to pair them up with coasters that seem similar from the previous years tournament, and seed them accordingly near them. That process also leads to quite a few not making it. I never have a set number of how many new ones can or can't make it though. Overall I try and use my best judgement, but that's why I like to post what I have in here a few days early in case anyone has any strong opinions!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Good to see this back again.

Won't make any difference, but it bothers me slightly that Jungle Trailblazer Zhuzhou is in there over its original, Fjord Flying Dragon, which has a bit more of an 'identity'.