What's new

CF Coaster Tournament XI

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
Lightning Rod wins the 2017 CF Coaster Tournament!

The CF Coaster Tournament is back for the 11th consecutive year!

Seeding is almost entirely based on the coasters performance in the previous years tournament. If a coaster won in the first round last year, it automatically qualifies for the tournament this year. That will be the same for next year for first round winners this year. Don't get too caught up in seeding if you think a coaster is too high, or too low. (Especially with new coasters.) With that said, even one vote for a losing coaster can alter it's seeding for the next year, or save it from missing the next year's tournament.

Rules
1. Only vote once per matchup. (You can vote even if you have not ridden the coasters!)
2. Place your votes at the top of your post, followed by at least one line space if you would like to leave comments.
3. Place your votes in order of the matches presented.

Tiebreaker
Tiebreakers will work the same as most pervious years. For the first tie of the tournament, whoever the first person to post in the topic voted for will be the tiebreaker. Then, the second tie to the second person to post, etc. throughout the tournament.

Any coaster in the tournament who's name features a "*" (star) means there are clones of that coaster. To view the clones, click on "Game # Details" in the bracket, and that will pull up a list of that coasters clones.

Additional Info
1. Anyone who accidentally votes twice for one matchup, and not at all for another, will have no votes counted in either matchup.
2. If you vote by the seed number, and submit a number that is not even competing, I will use my judgement as to what you were trying to vote for. If it is not clear, it will not be counted. (Typically I can tell because of how people vote in order.)
3. The brackets will say "Game #" and in the topic title I am changing that to "Match #s" so don't be confused by that.
4. Clicking on the name of the coaster in the bracket will link you to a POV or the coaster's RCDB page. If you notice an error let me know. (For the first round they will be added as coasters are up to compete as it takes a while to do all 128 at one time.)
5. Voting scores will appear in every matchup on the bracket as well.

Past Winners
2007: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2008: T Express, Everland
2009: Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
2010: Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
2011: Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
2012: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2013: Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City
2014: Helix, Liseberg
2015: Skyrush, Hershey Park
2016: Helix, Liseberg

Looking to start voting on Sunday, September 10th. Voting will take place from midnight-midnight eastern time (US). If I do not close off voting, technically it is still open to vote. Also, please don't post the next one if I am late, unless messaging me first. As it is hard to be here every day for as long as this goes, if a day or two goes by without voting don't panic!

Any additional comments, or suggestions throughout the tournament please post them in here, I am always looking to improve it for future years.

Bracket can be found here: http://www.bracketmaker.com/tlist.cfm?tid=467876

Last edited:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Oooh yay! CF Tournament is back!

Addition suggestions:
-Lech
-Gold Rush
-GaleForce
-Red Force
-Mystic Timbers
-Heidi
-InvadR

I'm not sure about the removals just yet(except for both Dragons, those can go).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Seeing as this a bit of CF tradition nowadays (thanks @valleyfair!), I'm going to try to keep on top of the stickying/unstickying of this as it goes.

Can't really think of any other additions/removals at this point, but I would maybe group the Dragon Challenge creds together and give them one last year in the tournament before they get spited next year. They likely won't get many votes, but there's a certain nostalgia to keeping them in. :p

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Addition to Addition suggestions:
-Lech
-Gold Rush
-GaleForce
-Red Force
-Mystic Timbers
-Heidi
-InvadR
-Star Trek: Operation Enterprise

As for what to remove, group them up

Raptor, GateKeeper, Flug der Damonen, X-Flight, Swarm
Goliath, Intimidator
Volcano the Blast Coaster, Formula Rossa, Speed Monster
Karacho, Fluch von Novgorod
Wildfire, Dominator, Superman/La Atracción de Acero
Dive Coaster, SheiKra, Krake, Baron 1898, Valravn, Oblivion the Black Hole
Hungarian Horntail, Talon, Raptor, Chinese Fireball

and take a quick vote on the best couple of each?

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
@gavin, @Ben, you've recently taken trips to China - are there any of the woodies that you think would stand up in this tournament? Or steel coasters, for that matter...

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, loads.

Soaring with Dragon, any of the Gravity Groups, Wood Coaster, the S&S launches, Dinoconda, Parrot Coaster, Python In Bamboo Forest, the Intamin Hyper, Flash...

Obv no one will vote for a Chinese DEATHTRAP but yh.

And then there's the handful of decent Japanese coasters - basically Eejanaika and Dodonpa (RIP)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Had a look through the bracket, decent selection of older China stuff is already in there.

Addition to Addition to Addition suggestions:
-Lech
-Gold Rush
-GaleForce
-Red Force
-Mystic Timbers
-Heidi
-InvadR
-Star Trek: Operation Enterprise
-Mine Blower
-Soaring with Dragon
-*Bullet Coaster
-Extreme Rusher
-Python in Bamboo Forest
-Coaster through the Clouds

Then there's 3 more Jungles and 2 more Happy Valley woodies, don't know how you want to play that.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Remove Valravn, Gatekeeper.
I'd vote for Gatekeeper over all of X Flight, Flug and Swarm tho. Some of these were just unfortunate to be paired against a world class cred, like Helix or Maverick and whilst good in their own right, just didn't have a chance.
I like Heartline's idea to drop a couple from each group, if a cred can't beat it's own ride type it won't get far.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Yeah, I like @HeartlineCoaster 's idea too. Perhaps have a preliminary round where we vote on the best of each category(or best 2 if its a large group), and replace the losers with the New for 2017 creds?

Oh yeah, the new Chinese rides should defo. be included as well. Some of those things look like absolute beasts.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
The CF Coaster Tournament is back for the 11th consecutive year!

Lastly, I need your help!
I think I tried this many year's back and didn't get much assistance. However, seeing as in recent years people have mentioned what changes they think should be made after the bracket has been created, I am posting below the "Bottom 25" or what would be this year's "Seeds 104-128" before changes. These coasters received zero votes in last year's tournament. I would like anyone who has an opinion, to please mention any coasters that should be substituted in for any current coasters. Also, opinions on including the Dragon Challenge coasters as that just closed?

Formula Rossa
Karacho
SheiKra
Intimidator
Dominator
Superman/La Atracción de Acero

*As of right now no New for 2017 coasters have been added, so be sure to include those in ideas.

I'll cry if these get dropped...

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
Since some people suggested voting, lets do that for a day or two. I already see some lists, so don't worry if you don't see this post again. However, if people want to do the following:
Top 5 Coasters you want to save. (From the 25 posted above.)
Top 5 New Coasters you would like added to the tournament.

This doesn't mean 5 is the number of new coasters, but will give me a relative idea where consensus is. I will take into coaster type/model into consideration as well seeing as a few of you liked that idea as well. New coasters may get placed higher up, but at the end of the day we are debating about the bottom part of the bracket so keep that in mind.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Intimidator
Fluch von Novgorod
Formula Rossa
Speed Monster
Superman/La Atracción de Acero

Eejanaika
Jungle Trailblazer Xiamen
Lech
Flash
Python in Bamboo Forest

I think that I would rather all 25 of those (other than Formula Rossa) be removed for more coasters from China. They have some amazing Gravity Groups and Intamins that are much, much better than most of those 25.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Save:
-Fluch von Novgorod
-X-Flight
-Superman La Atracción de Acero
-Karacho
-Speed Monster

Add:
-Lech
-Gold Rush
-Mine Blower
-Python in Bamboo Forest
-Extreme Rusher

TilenB

Strata Poster
Save:
Raptor
Fluch von Novgorod
Karacho
Formula Rossa
Baron 1898

Add:
Coaster Through the Clouds
Lech
Gold Rush
Soaring with Dragon
Lost Gravity

EDIT: I meant Gardaland's Raptor, not CP

Last edited:

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Raptor (Gardaland)
Fluch von Novgorod
Baron 1898
Oblivion TBH
Dominator

Lech
JT Jinan/Ningbo
JT Wuhu
Bullet Coaster
Python In Bamboo Forest

TilenB

Strata Poster
Umm, @valleyfair!, why did Junker get spited?

EDIT: Here's the POV of Jungle Trailblazer in Zhuzhou. I've noticed it's missing in the bracket

Last edited: