What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

codeman94

Mega Poster
^^They are laying track on the hill again, and it looks like its going really fast. At this rate they might have it finished by the weekend if they don't stop. THAT'S whats exciting!
Also, those RMC lift hill rail "fences" always look amazing, and this one does too. Way better that those Dinn single board floppy railings.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They are laying track on the hill again, and it looks like its going really fast. At this rate they might have it finished by the weekend if they don't stop. THAT'S whats exciting!
They've still got a lot of structure (which only gets more and more with every foot they climb) to build on the upper half of the lift hill before they'd be ready to install all of the track.
Also, those RMC lift hill rail "fences" always look amazing, and this one does too. Way better that those Dinn single board floppy railings.
Agreed, they look so classy!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
They are laying track on the hill again, and it looks like its going really fast. At this rate they might have it finished by the weekend if they don't stop. THAT'S whats exciting!
And we're to extract that from a single photo. ;)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Caught something worth noting last night.

19904983_1739517766077243_8764836034063664480_n.jpg

This is from the teaser poster up by Maverick, zoomed in with my phone. It's pretty clear that this looks to be some kind of Gatling gun barrel mounted to a gauntlet. Now this guy's job is just to look cool and not be mechanically or historically accurate, but this seems very exaggerated to be a depiction of something that's supposed to be in the traditional image of the American Wild West. If they wanted to give the guy a gun and he was just your average everyday highwayman, I feel like he would just be holding a Colt revolver like the character in Outlaw Run's logo was supposed to be initially.

My thinking? Maybe Mean Streak's theme will be more Western Steampunk! Think the Will Smith movie "Wild Wild West," set in the Old West but with steampunk-level technology. Cedar Fair has experimented with steampunk theming before with Iron Reef and more specifically, western steampunk with Frontier Fling. If they're also going for an outlaw theme with it, it'll certainly need something to set it apart from Outlaw Run, and steampunk would certainly do it. Outlaws have been used as a theme on RMCs before, steampunk has been used as a theme on an RMC before (Twisted Colossus), but they've not been combined. And with steampunk being a rapidly growing theme used in the amusement industry, it definitely seems like a logical choice for something that's supposed to be a world-class coaster from this era.

codeman94

Mega Poster
And we're to extract that from a single photo. ;)

I didn't realize it was a moderator's job to put wet blankets on people's excitement. This whole thread is full of people excited about this project.. Just let me be excited. If I break some kind of rule about being too excited about a photo, let me know.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Cedar Fair won't theme any ride to Steampunk. They have such a wonderful history of theming stuff brilliantly, so I can see why you would think that though...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I didn't realize it was a moderator's job to put wet blankets on people's excitement. This whole thread is full of people excited about this project.. Just let me be excited. If I break some kind of rule about being too excited about a photo, let me know.
Of course you didn't break any rules. I was teasing you! :p

Yes progress on the lift hill is cool. Personally? Totally more excited for the track progress underneath the supports, as that's what veils more in mystery.

What's more? I wouldn't use a potential Battle for CP character as indicator of theme. Take a look at the other characters: Millennium Force is definitely not about alien invasion, nor TTD a "Mad Max"-esque theme.

1.PNG
Again, not hoping for Steampunk theme, as it's already been pretty overdone, not to mention by another RMC creation...

la-trb-twisted-colossus-six-flags-magic-mountain-20140828

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Cedar Fair won't theme any ride to Steampunk. They have such a wonderful history of theming stuff brilliantly, so I can see why you would think that though...
Voyage to the Iron Reef? Professor Delbert's Frontier Fling? Not only have they done it before, but they've done it in the same park, I think it's very possible.

[snip]
What's more? I wouldn't use a potential Battle for CP character as indicator of theme. Take a look at the other characters: Millennium Force is definitely not about alien invasion, nor TTD a "Mad Max"-esque theme.

Again, not hoping for Steampunk theme, as it's already been pretty overdone, not to mention by another RMC creation...

la-trb-twisted-colossus-six-flags-magic-mountain-20140828
That's the thing though, I'm not sure it's a Battle for CP character. I feel like this is the first of many wanted posters showing different groups of the "they" that are coming, which I at this point believe is a gang of outlaws in a western steampunk setting. Perhaps there will be a depiction of this gang and each of these posters will depict one of their members. I seriously doubt this is the first and last of these posters. I did think it looked like it could be a Battle for CP character, though.

One other thing worth noting is that not only do they have to set it apart from Outlaw (and TC if they go with the western steampunk I'm predicting), but they also need to set it apart from Maverick right next door to an extent. The whole idea of Maverick is just Western stuff in general, having a coaster that was western steampunk would not only make it fit in the area quite nicely, but also give it a pretty unique identity in the park's coaster collection.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that's cool to allude to a western gang - very Hateful Eight/Magnificent Seven.

Cedar Point doesn't need to worry about ride marketing vs. Silver Dollar City, but making it stand apart from Maverick, sure. I'm confident it will be well done.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Voyage to the Iron Reef is a dark ride which I had no idea about, I just cant see CF theming any large coaster to any good steampunk standard. The fling thing is hardly themed at all, it's just a ripcord. Phantasialand yes, FLY will be amazingly themed, an RMC woodie? No.

Lofty

CF Legend
If they're also going for an outlaw theme with it, it'll certainly need something to set it apart from Outlaw Run, and steampunk would certainly do it.
Why do they? Pretty sure that a coaster that opened in 2013 over 660 miles away won't affect their product whatsoever if it had the same theme. Absolutely not at all in fact.

Intricks

Strata Poster
As to the Steampunk theme - Cedar Point has done it in the past during the haunt season with Frontierland being a Steampunk Haunt Area at least once, and have had a Steampunk Horror walkthrough for what I believe to be several years now (or at least did).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
As to the Steampunk theme - Cedar Point has done it in the past during the haunt season with Frontierland being a Steampunk Haunt Area at least once, and have had a Steampunk Horror walkthrough for what I believe to be several years now (or at least did).
That has also, notably, been crap. #MakeFrontierTrailFrightZoneAgain

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Regarding Steampunk theming - Twisted Colossus is about as Steampunk themed as Millennium Force is themed to the year 2000. Six Flags Magic Mountain literally hung some piping under the station roof and called it a Steampunk theme.

On the other hand, let's hold off on the Steampunk bashing until Phantasialand completes their new section when you'll all certainly be circle jerking over it.

cp2013

Roller Poster
I think the name Railblazer still fits a steampunk outlaw theme. the Gatling gun that we see isn't in color so as far as we know this may be a mad maxed (that's a word right) flamethrower, you can also look at the face of this "outlaw" that there is some sort of a mask or goggles like it is used for some sort of protection from something, perhaps flames?