What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Hutch

Strata Poster
Re: Mean Streak to get Meaner in 2017?

Finally!

Hopefully this will lead to RMC.

When they say that it will "get the axe," to me it kind of sounds like they will tear it down completely. I hope it's just Iron Horse.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

Nice to see that something is finally happening.
Here's hoping it will be teared completely down and be replaced by a huge Intamin Prefap <3

Ben

CF Legend

That's so morbid having last rites like what xD

But yeah can't wait to be disappointed by a GCI there in 2018.

S

SimonSays99

I hope CP will do a world-first prototype. Like the RMC single track or MACK spinning looper.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

For those trying to read into the timing of the ride's closure and if the ride will be torn down or not:

Mantis closed October 19, and was re-trained.
Disaster Transport closed July 29, and was torn down.
Wildcat only required a 5 year old with Erector Set experience.

Otherwise, GhostRider closed September 8 for a GCI retrack, and reopened June 11.

Bear in mind, different ride structures require different lengths of time to tear down - wood is a lot easier than steel. Obviously, a retrack does not require as much prep.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rADY3e9Etp4[/youtube]

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Can't wait to be disappointed by some half arsed RMC Iron Horse conversion getting rid of one of only two wooden coasters in the park.

I'd be happy with a big GCI replacement though. Even if its clearly not going to happen. sigh,

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Another thing to bear in mind is the placement of a maintenance storage shed and haunted house in the middle of the Mean Streak footprint. Yes, sheds are easily torn down - but CP does value it's on-site storage capacity.

Screenshot_2016_08_01_12_52_07.png

Given current land utilization, Cedar Fair's activity with GCI, and the coincidental lineup of Ghostrider's GCI retrack closure and open dates; my heart of hearts feels a retrack. ... and it being by GCI.

However, the fan-made RMC retrack concept for Mean Streak from a few years ago... please Cedar Point, I'm begging.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbJF3ZxPRQ[/youtube]

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

So can we now start to pretend that suddenly Mean Streak was the greatest coaster ever and how truly sorry we are for its loss to the coaster world? #RIPMeanStreak #SaveMeanStreak #NeverForget and such.... (ew)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

#MeanTweak?

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster

Hyde said:
Another thing to bear in mind is the placement of a maintenance storage shed and haunted house in the middle of the Mean Streak footprint. Yes, sheds are easily torn down - but CP does value it's on-site storage capacity.

Screenshot_2016_08_01_12_52_07.png

Given current land utilization, Cedar Fair's activity with GCI, and the coincidental lineup of Ghostrider's GCI retrack closure and open dates; my heart of hearts feels a retrack. ... and it being by GCI.

However, the fan-made RMC retrack concept for Mean Streak from a few years ago... please Cedar Point, I'm begging.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbJF3ZxPRQ[/youtube]
I don't see it being a retrack. In the video, it says Mean Streak is getting the "axe." Sounds like they're trying to imply it is either getting demolished or RMCed. Also the axeman in the video is chopping the wood, again implying it is coming down. I don't get why they would make an announcement like this to simply retrack it. If it isn't RMCed I would bet that it will be demolished for a new coaster. Call me crazy but maybe Cedar Point will eventually build the world's tallest and fastest wooden coaster in its spot if they demolish it? A GCI retrack just seems so unCedar Point like if that makes sense. Just a theory and my $.02.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Havent all the other RMC'ed rides been closed down to get put under the "axe" so-to-speak to be reinvented into a new coaster?

But yeah, the guy chopping at it does kind of seem a bit odd. Maybe they are following up with Kinzels initial plan of adding in a 2nd 300ft tall coaster in the back of the park?

Ben

CF Legend

roomraider said:
Can't wait to be disappointed by some half arsed RMC Iron Horse conversion getting rid of one of only two wooden coasters in the park.

I'd be happy with a big GCI replacement though. Even if its clearly not going to happen. sigh,

Are you seriously saying you'd rather Mean Streak than one of the conversions, which are all ranked as some of the best Coasters on the Planet?!

Just, no.

I honestly think we're looking at it coming down and a new GCI turning up there for 2018 - I just don't see something that extensive happening a year after Valravn.

An RMC would be too out the blue - they've done projects with GCI in 2016 and 2017 now (not to mention historic relations) and we know how CF love spreading the work of one manufacturer around the chain a project a year.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

The most perfect choice for the park would be an iron horse conversion of Mean Streak - likely to take 2 years due to it's size.
The second best choice would be a quality wooden coaster.

Iron Streak would be a wasted opportunity, but a GCI is still a great choice for this park and as it's at the point it'll point to being an XL.

With that announcement video implying Mean Streak is going for good, a GCI retrack seems completely implausible unless they significantly change the profiling.

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone describe an rmc as half arsed :eek:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Ben said:
Are you seriously saying you'd rather Mean Streak than one of the conversions, which are all ranked as some of the best Coasters on the Planet?!

Just, no.

No not at all. I get that Mean Streak isn't well liked. (Personally I can evaluate it since I've never been). However I'd rather a replacement GCI than an RMC Iron Horse conversion.

This is just a personal opinion and it's obviously partly because I've only ridden the one RMC and it sits lower down in my rankings than every GCI I've ridden by some way. Perhaps If I'd ridden the likes of Cyclone and Medusa I'd sing a different tune but from my experiences I'd take a GCI every time.

I'm also a big woodie fan and I'd always rather see the effort made to make a decent woodie than to convert one to a steel coaster. It's probably part of a mental thing in that sense for me too. I happily admit be much happier with an original RMC wooden coaster (See Goliath. Wildfire or Outlaw) rather than an Iron Horse conversion.

Its clearly a matter of economics and from what I gather a conversion is quite a bit cheaper than a whole new wooden coaster. I just think woodies should be an important part of a parks line up and an Iron Horse conversion loses that wooden coaster feeling.

If this is announced as an Iron Horse conversion. Can i honestly say I'd be disappointed? yeah I would. But I'd clearly be in the minority. They just don't appeal to me as much as a good traditional wooden coaster does.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ I can see to your point on RMC retracks, in that original RMCs indeed have been much more well received. NTG, Iron Rattler, etc. are limited to their pre-existing footprint. Storm Chaser has been my favorite thus far of the RMC retracks, which I credit to Kentucky Kingdom simply having more footprint to deal with (Twisted Twins being dueling roller coasters).

But Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Goliath, Lightning Rod, etc. That is where the real RMC magic happens.

Overall, I am glad that Cedar Fair has given work to their two largest Dinn Corps. I still like to muse at what a Hercules RMC retrack would have looked like at Dorney though. :razz:

BigBad

Mega Poster

I have a hard time believing that it won't be an Iron Horse conversion. Not that our chatter matters, but we've known for years that Mean Streak is the perfect candidate, so they must know as well. After all, it's absolutely massive and looks like it should be an amazing ride.

My hope is that it would be done with topper track. I'm becoming less of a fan of most wood coasters as I'm getting older, but it seems wrong to me for perhaps the world's premier coaster park to have Blue Streak as its only wood coaster, particularly when they have the opportunity to keep Mean Streak as a wood coaster.

If it's torn down, I'd hope that something massive goes up in its place. A family GCI like Mystic Timbers would make me cry after a year of expecting an unbelievable RMC, and I'm not sure that anyone but RMC (or an Intamin prefab...I can dream) would be right for making something that big and crazy while keeping it reasonably smooth.

Hutch

Strata Poster

I never really followed the Ghostwriter 2.0 construction. Did they put together a video announcing the old ride's closure or their retracking plans?

When Six Flags convert their woodies, they ususally do some Twitter announcement saying "Hey, come get your rides in on Colossus or Cyclone before it closes!".

I don't think it'll be a GCI retrack. If they were to tear it down completely it might be something other than a new GCI. Kings Island isn't too far away and they're getting a new one. Plus imagine the GP's reaction when they see that they tore down Mean Streak to get another big woodie.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster

BigBad said:
I have a hard time believing that it won't be an Iron Horse conversion. Not that our chatter matters, but we've known for years that Mean Streak is the perfect candidate, so they must know as well. After all, it's absolutely massive and looks like it should be an amazing ride.

My hope is that it would be done with topper track. I'm becoming less of a fan of most wood coasters as I'm getting older, but it seems wrong to me for perhaps the world's premier coaster park to have Blue Streak as its only wood coaster, particularly when they have the opportunity to keep Mean Streak as a wood coaster.

If it's torn down, I'd hope that something massive goes up in its place. A family GCI like Mystic Timbers would make me cry after a year of expecting an unbelievable RMC, and I'm not sure that anyone but RMC (or an Intamin prefab...I can dream) would be right for making something that big and crazy while keeping it reasonably smooth.
This. Just yes.

Intricks

Strata Poster

^^ Well they did phrase the closure of Mantis as "being squashed" prior to the reveal that it was getting a conversion into Rougarou.