What's new

Cedar Point | Rougarou | Mantis Floorless Conversion

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Latest Construction Update Video, featuring Rob Decker, VP of Planning and Design for Cedar Fair

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtOhydQ0lN0[/youtube]

I always appreciate getting to hear from Rob, as he is the lead determiner on new additions to Cedar Fair. He is able to put the Rougarou conversion in context of looking to recreate the popularity of Hydra and Dominator with Cedar Point - floorless roller coasters have simply proven to be popular picks by park goers.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Point Buzz posted some photos of the trains they took at Winter Chill Out today:

1263.jpg

1262.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Will be able to get a better sense of the coloring once they are on the track, and we can see how everything contrasts. Certainly jarring, but orange and lime green are the main colors after all.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Someone with a different opinion than others!? That is simply unacceptable. :razz:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I was actually talking about Rougarou's coloring the other night with a friend who is of the designer persuasion; she was quite taken with the very adventurous color scheme of Rougarou.

A simple way to illustrate is by using a general diagram of the major ways colors complement and go together. Summon the color wheel!

color-schemes1.jpg

The simplest color match ups are those that are complementing (opposite sides of the color wheel), square (essentially two complementing colors), and triadic (matching colors at a third interval around the wheel). Think of popular color schemes, such as red and green for christmas or orange and blue. There are deeper delving color schemes that are also shown in this diagram, such as analogous colors that sit right next to each other. (Seattle Seahawks anyone?)

seahawks-dbs-hdr1.jpg

At any rate, Rougarou is jumping all over the color wheel, and is not necessarily following traditional color schemes but going with a more hybrid approach.

Take the Rougarou track for example: Deep Orange and Dark Teal.

cedar-point.jpg

Doing a simple color grab in an image editor will get you this type of color match on a color wheel. (Used a simpler colored wheel for better illustration - the positions are correct but the colors aren't perfect) A perfect complementing color for the orange track would be a simple blue or teal, such as what we find on a lot of the Six Flags Goliath coasters.

7a8g0065n2o00008f6h0pm.jpg

This teal however is darker, pushing it towards the red part of the color spectrum. This color match up is not a complementing scheme, but it is also not at a third for a triadic or split complementing scheme (that would be a maroon color, similar to Fly the Great Nor Easter's train, track combo)

l2p100084mhg17k0025st8.jpg

So we are left with a color combo in the middle of complementing and triadic.

Trackcolor.jpg

Now on to the trains, there are a number of colors at play across various materials (steel, vinyl, rubber) which accounts for at least 4 different colors. That's a lot to pack in!

1262.jpg

Most prominent we have the same dark orange contrasting with a laser lime green. We do however have a deep red and dark green coloring that adds aesthetic along the steel seat backs and trim.

Referencing back to our color wheel guide, these colors are arguably complementing... but also triadic in their relationship. There is also some analogous sliding of colors between orange and the deep red. Another hybrid collection of colors.

Train.jpeg

Now once the trains are put onto the track, I would imagine an overall split complement of colors. However, we have seen some adventurous Cedar Fair color schemes in the past that while they looked good on paper, had mixed results in real life.

lvv040011c162f8g00oovq.jpg

andrus

Giga Poster
Hyde said:
I was actually talking about Rougarou's coloring the other night with a friend who is of the designer persuasion; she was quite taken with the very adventurous color scheme of Rougarou.

A simple way to illustrate is by using a general diagram of the major ways colors complement and go together. Summon the color wheel!
Do you have any deeper explenation to why it would be a good idea to use the suggested colour "startegies" you presented? I find it interesting since I'm an architect student currently on my fifth year, and the only one of those I've ever heard of is the simple "complementary colours" (the two colours situated directly opposite of each other in the colours wheel). Complementary colours are those who achieve the greatest contrast possible; situated next to each other you almost get a vibrant feeling looking at them. They stick out and that's an effect you most oftenly would like to avoid using, at least in public spaces. Unless it's a traffic light of course. But I guess it could be usefull in a theme park; where you really want your multi million dollar ride to pop out as much as possible!

But like I stated above; it would be nice if you (or your friend) could explain what those other colour combination achieves for effects? Like e.g. why it would be a good ide to use a "triadic colour scheme"?

Normally when designing stuff you do not care for the colour wheel. You just simply chose those colours that you think fits the task the best, and keeps the hues about the same.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Really all color complements drive at the same point of having a vibrant collection of colors that look well together.

As for the likes of triadic, split-complement, or rectangular; they are simply other collections of colors that can work well together. To delve a bit deeper:

Triadic - advantage here is color combinations are not as jarring as a strictly complementing color scheme. (Ever put red text on a green background?) Colors are vibrant and contrasting, but softer than complementary. Typically, you will see one color used as a dominant, with the other two as secondary.

superman01.jpg

Millennium-Force-Replica-Models.gif

Split-Complementary - Similar to triadic, this scheme carries strong color contrast, close to a complementary color scheme, but with less tension.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekb2NrWoQvQ[/youtube]

dominator1_sld.jpg

At the end of the day, all one would need to do to determine what color scheme is being used on a roller coaster is plotting the used colors onto a color wheel, and tracing the relationship. In general, most schemes use one dominant color, with accenting colors inter spliced.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
If anybody is interested, here's Tony's latest blog post, which reiterates basically everything that's been mentioned already:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article ... ouncements

The fire pits outside the Breakers sound like an awesome addition. During many of my more recent trips, I've been finding myself hanging out in different areas of the park for varying amounts of time - usually because I'm with a group of people but also because I've been to the park so much that I don't feel the need to ride every ride during my visit. These fire pits sound like a nice place to chill on a nice Saturday evening when the park is still packed.

Side note: they are also apparently bringing back their beach party for this summer as well. I remember seeing it in line for Wicked Twister one night last summer and I thought it looked like an awesome time. It also shows how the park is striving to be more than just the rides.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
But the sad part of the fire pit addition - they are removing the pool and good hot tub! Where will local high schoolers sneak into now?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Latest Train images tweeted from CP's Tony Clark:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/572823096794718209[/tweet]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Questions may arise on when Rougarou officially opens for riders.

Found this 2015 Cedar Point schedule online:

Notice the schedule around Ohio State Day on May 8:

May 08................... Ohio State Day (Not Open to The Public)
May 08................... Rougarou First Rider Auction Rides Day 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm .(Not Open to The Public)
May 08................... Cedar Point Season Passholder Preview Night 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm .(Not Open to The Public)

So will Rougarou be open for Ohio State Day? Or will it stay closed until the First Rider Auction?

Would be crumby if Rougarou wasn't open for Ohio State Day, especially after the shaft the park gave last year having not achieved required testing hours for some of the coasters last year.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ The new trains required new braking hardware regardless due to different sizes and specs of the new train.

Magnetic brakes are industry standard at this point, or at least a hybrid braking setup. (That is, having the first one or two sets of brakes magnetic, and the rest friction). A primary advantage to magnetic brakes is that they are 100% fail safe, as long as quantum mechanics doesn't change on us ;) . So it would make sense to install the most up-to-date hardware when doing upgrades.

You can see such an example with Gatekeeper's brake run - first two braking segments are magnetic, and followed by friction. (Start at 1:43)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIpmx063fjM[/youtube]

bob_3_

Giga Poster
A primary advantage to magnetic brakes is that they are 100% fail safe, as long as quantum mechanics doesn't change on us ;) . So it would make sense to install the most up-to-date hardware when doing upgrades.

TBH, I think the primary reason isn't that they're more safe. B&M friction brakes have yet to fail us yet! The main reason is maintenance as there is not wear on magnetic brakes due to the fact there is no contact. Friction brakes require regular replacing of brake pads. It makes sense to retrofit them here as it will save them money in the long run.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That is very true. When I say 100% fail safe, it is based on the fact that, as you allude to, there are no moving parts in the braking system. With no moving parts, there is nothing that can break nor require regular maintenance.

While friction brakes are nearly perfect, and I have yet to hear about an incident with a B&M brake, there is still plenty of examples of friction brake failures. This is usually because of some factor that impedes the brake's ability to make contact with the train, such as Rain or Paint.

Talking further with friends, there may indeed be hope for Rougarou opening during Cedar Point Day. While Gatekeeper held its first rider auction on Opening Day, the ride opened to visitors during Ohio State Day the day before - here's hoping for a repeat! :goon:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk3D1wYkOZ0[/youtube]
Opens May 9th to the public.

Jason McLure also states that it will have 3 trains, cool lighting, some effects, and sounds.

Interesting...