What's new

Cedar Point | Rougarou | Mantis Floorless Conversion

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So here is the run down of what is known thus far:

-CP's General Manager, Jason McClure, has stated that "Cedar Point's new ride in 2015 will be thrill ride aimed at teens and other hard core thrillsters, rather than a family-oriented ride." (http://www.sanduskyregister.com/blog/re ... ok/5839991)
-Rougarou has been trademarked by Cedar Fair (http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?ca ... x=0&page=1). And during Cedar Point's Coaster Campout, there was a banner titled "Camp Rou." Could be coincidence, or hint at ride name. (https://twitter.com/JohnnyVolk/status/4 ... 28/photo/1)
-"Hinting" tweets from Cedar Point higherups: 'No tweetups today, kids. Working on a "verRrrry hard assignment.' 'Currently working diligently on 2015. Did I spel that rite? More importantly, did I say it right...'
-The arcade level of the Coliseum has been mentioned as a possible attraction location. The old Pirate Ride building next to Raptor and Blue Streak could also be a candidate.

That's about it for now. Hoping for an official ride announcement during the second half of the season/fall.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point | Unknown Dark Ride 2015

They are also testing a new paint scheme on Mantis

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ yes, and I went ahead and created a Mantis paint job discussion in News and Rumors for that.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38053

I think it's safe to assume these are two different projects.

bentcookie

Mega Poster

If this "rumored dark ride" so happens to be true...it sure as hell better appeal to teens and thrill seekers. Personally, I still don't believe it will be a dark ride though.

Intricks

Strata Poster

I just dont really see a Dark Ride as being anything short of "campy" at our US theme parks.

Do we even have one that could be even worthy of being considered for the "hardcore thrillsters"?

As for possible name, Rougarou sounds nice enough. Plus they ready established a front in which to use it from their Haunts a few years back (do they still do that Louisiana swamp walk-through below Iron Dragon?). Seeing as how the Rougarou is a werewolf-type cryptid from some folklore in the French communities in Louisiana (not originated there though).

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Do we even have one that could be even worthy of being considered for the "hardcore thrillsters"?

Amazing Adventures of Spiderman? Curse of DarKastle? Indiana Jones? Wonder Mountain's Guardian?

What keeps prodding this attraction into the dark ride realm is that rumors originally surfaced back in 2013 of two dark rides being built for Cedar Fair, one at a secondary park and the other at CP. Canada's Wonderland was the secondary park, so we shall see if the rest comes true.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point | Rougarou | Unknown Dark Ride 2015

Those are good examples, but until WMG, I would only expect something of those caliber to be brought to me at Universal, Busch or Disney even. The Dark Rides found at Kennywood and Knoebels are more of the norm, simply because the lack of them within the Cedar Fair and Six Flags chain during non-Halloween season.

I just have my doubts towards a decent caliber dark ride appearing at the chain parks, simply because there is a lack of them. If WMG gets well enough reviews, then it will alleviate some doubts; however, I have heard nothing.

Speaking of, has anyone here ridden WMG yet? How is it? Would you say it plays to the thrill seeker cartel, or is it more of a campy gimmick?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Designed for thrill seekers or not - I would love for Cedar Point to take on a dark ride in any form. Those old enough to remember the Pirate Ride often remember it fondly. A classic Arrow haunted house, it was designed for families and always fun for a reride. The ride was removed in 1996, and I'd love for its spot to be filled.

That is why I have often joked about simply bringing back a Pirate Ride 2.0, to the same tune as Shoot the Rapids taking on the namesake of the original Shoot the Rapids that stood where Maverick now stands. (That is, Shoot the Rapids was the original, racing log flume there, which was replaced by White Water Landing, which was replaced by Maverick) Of course, if we are to assume that Rougarou is the name, French werewolves doesn't jive with the pirate theme. :roll:

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

This is clearly going to be some kind of thrill ride, and that and the Rougarou name are really the only two pieces of solid evidence.

Part of me really wants to say some sort of new high-thrill dark ride after reading this article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/ ... 28758.html

I posted it to my Facebook yesterday saying it was a must-read, but there was a quote from Matt Ouimett discussing Knott's Berry Farm in there that stuck out to me.

Assuming that the Wonder Mountain's Guardian ride works out, there will probably be some lessons that we learned up in Canada that we can apply down here in Buena Park.

He's clearly going somewhere with WMG, and it makes me want to say that's what this is, especially since a cryptid from Cajun mythology would make an amazing theme for a dark ride. A dark boat ride on a little air boat trying to hunt down the mythical Rougarou would make an awesome ride concept. However, it's not a high-thrill ride, so that can't be what it is unless there's some kind of crazy element, and that's probably unlikely on a dark boat ride, especially since Shoot the Rapids is similar if I'm correct.

My guess for site would probably be by the Millennium Island lagoon. They just tore out Paddlewheel Excursions and it was that empty slab of concrete I saw queuing for Iron Dragon last season. I could maybe see them filling this in a bit more and building a flat ride there. It would tie in nicely with Blood on the Bayou and not to mention allow them to clean up the Iron Dragon/Millennium Force area.

Though in defense of the pirate building, Raptor and Blue Streak's areas could both use some life breathed back into them. Maybe put some lights on Calypso and give Blue Streak a new lit sign?

I just looked at the whole thing on Google Maps and the Pirate building really looks too short to put anything thrilling in unless they were to expand it. I noticed the masonry tower with the cannon was still there, though. Maybe take the cannon out and theme it all spooky and put vines on it like Thirteen? And put the dark ride inside but have it launch into segments with little to no height difference with a few heartline rolls thrown in? I could see you entering into the interactive screen, shooting at things in the swamp, and then an encounter with the Rougarou that launches you into something like I-305 with just a bunch of high-speed turns and maybe a barrel roll but on a much smaller scale. Cedar Point really took a blow when they lost Disaster Transport to GateKeeper, especially in a region with such unusual weather. Maybe this is their new indoor coaster?

Just some sleep-deprived Jarrett rambling but that's how all my speculation starts. :p

Current guesses:
1. Repurposing of pirate dark ride building turning it into a dark ride with a launched roller coaster segment. This would include a facelift of and possibly a new name for the area behind Raptor.
2. Some kind of flat ride tying into Blood on the Bayou.
3. Dark boat ride in pirate dark ride building with some kind of gimmicky thrill element thrown in there.

coaster addict

Mega Poster

Anybody for a giga-dark ride? Just kidding! When it comes to Cedar Point, expectations tend to be higher, so let's see what happens!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^^ Millennium Island is tapped out with the addition of Dinosaurs Alive!. Fat chance Cedar Point ditching a pay-for attraction. And what used to be the Paddlewheel Excursion queue is now a gift shop for the attraction.

Current rumors point to the CP Coliseum as a location, though I'll also propose the Snoopy Boutique as potential. This building was originally built to house the Earthquake ride back in the 70s, then subsequently used as the indoor playground portion of Bearenstain Bear Country (RIP) and now a gift shop.

4231379899_04fd825b5f.jpg

coaster addict

Mega Poster

Hyde said:
^^ Millennium Island is tapped out with the addition of Dinosaurs Alive!. Fat chance Cedar Point ditching a pay-for attraction. And what used to be the Paddlewheel Excursion queue is now a gift shop for the attraction.

Current rumors point to the CP Coliseum as a location, though I'll also propose the Snoopy Boutique as potential. This building was originally built to house the Earthquake ride back in the 70s, then subsequently used as the indoor playground portion of Bearenstain Bear Country (RIP) and now a gift shop.

4231379899_04fd825b5f.jpg

Oh... the good ol' days... Bearenstain Bear Country!

I am curious which building will eventually house the dark ride... whether it is in 2015 or 16!

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

I rode Wonder Mountain's Guardian two days ago and I thought it was amazing. Easily the best 3D screen effect I had ever seen, the first turn out of the lift was a tad rough but the rest was butter smooth, and the freefall drop was incredible! I really hope that Rougarou is pretty similar! Could they maybe add a second story to the pirate building so it can do all the stuff WMG did?

That being said, if the restraints can accomodate Guardian's freefall element, they can definitely do an inversion. Pretty much the same amount of negative force exerted on them in that drop, I could definitely see this one having an inversion or two since it's geared towards thrill seekers. Loved the ride, though! Even though I got trounced at the game. :p

9299_897900050239023_1592318520535816190_n.jpg

Intricks

Strata Poster

From Tony Clarks twitter.

Announcement on 9/2 come High Noon.

Let the speculation....BEGIN!

My guess is that this will either be a full rundown of the haunts, or that Rougarou - even something else - could be announced as well. Basing off the High Noon, Im guessing the announcement will involve that area. This could be for either the new attraction, or something happening in/near there (Mean Streak, im looking at you).

Intricks

Strata Poster

You want to know what was missing on that list of his?

Converting Mantis from Stand-Up to Floorless.

That obviously means its now in the works and he will make all the enthusiasts wildest dreams come true

/flawless

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Tony forgot one item - prevent Magnum from sinking. :wink:

Cedar Point did a Youtube video announcement for the Gemini midway additions this year. Intrigued with all to see what unfolds, though I'd still love for a Wonder Mountain's Guardian-type dark ride.