• Kings Island

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Joey said:
No stupid rain policy, no insane crowds and no coasters which are just large for the sake of it without soul.
For what it's worth, Kings Island is indeed guided by the same rain policies as Cedar Point (Cedar Fair afterall). And in terms of crowds... let's just say there are a lot of interesting people that visit Kings Island from Kentucky. :razz:

I would also suggest to not worry about "narrative" for roller coasters. Paramount tried it's hand at making Kings Island a theme park - however Cedar Fair uses through-and-through a true amusement park design with attractions. Give it good looking facades, a nice looking queue, fresh coat of paint, and call it good at that. Any narrative is that which isn't intentionally there.

Kings Island is one of my all time favorite amusement parks. It carries a great heritage as one of the first "modern" amusement parks (Racer kicking off the Golden Age, etc.), saw a lot of interesting development from Paramount, and has received good additions since the Cedar Fair takeover.

The ride variety is my biggest draw to the park. Banshee, Diamondback, Beast, FoF, Racer, Firehawk, Adventure Express, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and Bat give a well rounded lineup of fun coasters, with Invertigo and Vortex providing... shall we say supporting cast? Delirium, Windseeker, and Drop Tower are also great flat rides.

Park layout is pretty conducive, and Cedar Fair has made great strides in condensing the Paramount sprawl of major attractions. (Bat, I'm looking at you) And Kings Island's Halloween Haunt is always my favorite Halloween event, far superior to other Cedar Fair parks.

All that being said, no, Kings Island is not a competitor against Cedar Point.

On roller coasters; I named nine Kings Island roller coasters that I seek to ride each visit. Cedar Point however has a solid 12 offerings I would prioritize for that visit: Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Maverick, Magnum, Gemini, Rougarou, Valravn, Wicked Twister, Gatekeeper, Raptor, and Blue Streak. Iron Dragon, Mine Ride, Mean Streak, and Corkscrew act as backfill. For flat rides, things are pretty matched: maXair, Windseeker, Power Tower, and Skyhawk are biggest draws.

The park layout of Cedar Point is one I most prefer - a main midway connected to a large loop means every roller coaster is on the way without major points of turn around.

And if you want heritage/historical significance; Cedar Point is the second oldest amusement park in the U.S. next to Lake Compounce.

No, Cedar Point does carry a cultural significance that cannot be matched by Kings Island, nor many other amusement parks for that matter. If Six Flags Magic Mountain were the Roller Coaster Nirvana, then I would in turn consider Cedar Point the Roller Coaster Mecca.

Snoo

The Legend
andrus said:
Joey said:
Flight of Fear is a massively underrated ride. KIs was slightly better than KDs.
Second that! Only ridden the one at KD, but if the KI version is even better I can't wait to go!

Snoo said:
^Says the guy with i305 in his name, one of the most overrated rides ever. :)
Wait what?? :p Can you please explain mr Snoo :wink: I305 is one of the fastest, most extreme ride experiences there is! A unique ride only tied with Batman-clones, and maybe Kingda Ka, in terms of intensity among the rides I've been on.. Sure you might not like the ride experinence. But it definitely is one of the fastest and most intense rides out there!! And a lot of people like that, including me. To say that I305 is an overrated ride because you don't like extreme rides is like saying you don't like pizza because it got tomatoe sauce on top. But guess what? There are plenty of people who do like tomatoes and hence love pizza too :p :wink:

Never said it wasn't a great ride, as it is quite intense and extreme as you mentioned, but that doesn't make it not overrated. People say the same thing about Boulder Dash, but I let them live in there wrongness. :)

And HEY! I happen to like extreme sensations! I am an ejector fanboy after all.

Jake

Strata Poster
Not been to either but I can't see how KI could be better. These kind of parks only really have the creds going for them and CP clearly has the better line up.

Ben

CF Legend
Hey Joey why you not trying to call everyone else who disagrees with you obnoxious.

Between this and the Twitter poll I think the people have spoken.

nRoll

Roller Poster
I would rate "Cedar Point" equal with "Magic Mountain" and "Six Flags New Jersey" (RIP "Rolling Thunder")...for their amazing Coasters collections .
"Kings Island" seems to me far behind now . No more "Son of a Beast" ! I am not a great "Beast " Fan . For Sure it is a long ride but without airtimes . I remember good moments riding The Racer Backward .
But definitly .... Cedar Point .