Which Is Better?

• Cedar Point

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Kings Island

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Ben

CF Legend
OK, simple question - which park do you prefer, Cedar Point or Kings Island?

Cedar Point isn't as great as it's made out to be, granted, but it's got three 'good' B&Ms, Millennium Force, fabulous Maverick, iconic TTD and Magnum, and some great water rides. It also has a lovely location and a much nicer feel than a lot of the CF parks.

Kings Island has Beast (only good at night), the two worst B&Ms of their types out there, and a load of other crap.

Please, discuss.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Cedar Point is essentially an island of roller coasters(Yes, I know it's a peninsula, but idc). You have not only the amusement park, but you have a beach, hotels, boating, water activities, all of this great supplementary stuff for people who aren't into the rides. For those who do like rides, you have the fab Maverick, the fab Dragster, the semi-fab Raptor, the overrated but still a decent coaster Millennium Force, the iconic Magnum XL 200, and you have a ton for everyone else without loosing(Most of) the quality!

Kings Island just has 3 stand-out coasters, with a bunch of filler and family stuff. Can't compare with CP.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I love going to my home park and all but I'm sorry, Cedar Point is my favorite park period. That park has a massive lineup of coasters ranging from pretty good to amazing, a wonderful location, rich history, and parts of it are extremely nice.

Call me basic, call me a CP Fanboy, but there's no park at which I'd rather spend the day of the ones I've visited.

Ketchup

Mega Poster
Kings Island was a real surprise for me.

Diamondback is probably the third best B&M hyper out of the eight I've done and the Beast at night might be my favourite ever coaster experience.

Nevertheless those two alone coasters alone can't stop it beating Cedar Point which just has too much quality overall.

Also Cedar Point has Maverick which is amazing.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
As someone who is clearly very familiar with both parks and obviously visits all the time, I'm going to have to give it to Cedar Point - just. There is so much there in comparison to Kings Island, which is has a lot of filler attractions.

Saying that cedar Point frustrates me and should be better than it is. Some coasters that would be stand out coasters at Kings Island become filler attractions when at Cedar Point - There is no need for a B&M invert, wing and a dive machine in the same park (same area in the park too) unless they are going to perform radically different to one another. Kings Island's line up doesn't have this problem as none of the coasters are particularly similar to another. Cedar Point's weather phobia is also notorious and looks like a real pain.

Kings Island however doesn't let you ride the slingshot alone and I wasn't allowed to hold hands with the employees. :(

Olaf

Mega Poster
Both parks are overrated as ****, go to King's Dominion instead.. (I really hope they'll get a intamin hyper or a intamin mega)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
^Says the guy with i305 in his name, one of the most overrated rides ever. :)

Kings Island is Carowinds minus Fury. Mostly **** with a great invert and an on again off again Hyper.

Cedar Point has Maverick, MF, and TTD.

Simple really.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Lmao, okay, okay... Hear me out.

Kings Island is better because:

Flight of Fear is a massively underrated ride. KIs was slightly better than KDs.

I really like old Arrows loopers and I really like Batwings... Vortex is awesome.

Beast isn't only good at night... It just goes from being good in the day to being outstanding at night. And even if you disagree, at least they have a modern woodie.

It has one of the few Arrow suspended coasters left, one miles better than the **** waste of space at CP.

Whilst I never rode it, Son of Beast existed. That was real. That was a thing. They had this interesting thing. An interesting thing is something Cedar Point will never have. Same with The Bat. Same with MOST of their lineup.

I actually think Vekoma Dutchmans are pretty neat. There's not many of them, either.

Not ridden Banshee, but it's had pretty unanimous applause. I can guarantee its better than Cedar Point's price of green turd.

They have a far superior drop tower.

They're not in a dumb location plagued by bugs and weather issues. The weather issues is a huge problem with CP. It rained all day at Kings when I went, nothing closed.

Kings Island also has a nicer atmosphere overall.

It's also waaaaay less busy.

Cedar Point has Maverick, which is outstanding. Better than anything at Kings Island for sure, but nothing else there is remarkable. Nothing.

**** CP.

Edit: by the way, I know my praise of Kings Island is bias because I sort of exaggeratedly hate on CP, but all else being equal, I would genuinely rather visit KI.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Beast during the day is awesome, will ride it at night in about 6 weeks so I'll judge it then.

CP is better. I haven't been in 10 years compared to KI which was 2, but it's not that close? Granted I'm missing half the creds at KI and don't care to pick most up, as I'm not a whore, and CP I'm missing Maverick, Gate, and obviously Valravn, the quality is better at CP.

Wicked Twister was a lot of fun, Blue Streak is a hidden gem, and TTD was a blast. MY was overrated, Magnum hurt, Gemini was ****, and Raptor was enjoyable. Compared to KI where Diamondback and Beast were really only enjoyable things I hit that I recall, but overall, better line up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
Joey, did you just call Beast a modern woodie?!? It's 37 years old! That's 12 years older than CP's 'modern' woodie. OK it's better but please don't say it's modern.

Your other argument that they built the worst woodie ever and then tore it down doesn't really hold up as a 'plus'.

Flight of Fear and Vortex blow, let's not even compare them to say, Gatekeeper.

Flying Dutchmans suck, Banshee sucks. Like. No.

It gives me great pleasure that between this and the Twitter poll you can at least see for sure you're being weird.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I had no idea Beast was that old, holy ****. But isnt the little woodie at CP older? Christ. Genuinely shocked, sorry. Lol.

Also, whatever - There's a difference between critically good and ...popular. CP is more popular, sure. Fact. Yup. But give me FoF, Vortex and Beast over CPs mediocrity anyday, they ARE better rides critically. They have more meaningful layouts and a better understanding of narrative progression and interest and intent than the likes of CPs tall for the sake of being tall assortment of forgettable experiences. And they would be forgettable, if it wasn't for the name CP crafted for itself.

Granted I've not not ridden Gatekeeper, but FoF and Vortex are both critically better than Swarm or Wild Eagle, IMO.

Snoo

The Legend
Vortex? Wait.. no.. NO. NOOOOOO!!!

..sorry.. just had a flashback to riding that piece of ****. :D

Ben

CF Legend
Joey said:
I had no idea Beast was that old, holy ****. But isnt the little woodie at CP older? Christ. Genuinely shocked, sorry. Lol.

Also, whatever - There's a difference between critically good and ...popular. CP is more popular, sure. Fact. Yup. But give me FoF, Vortex and Beast over CPs mediocrity anyday, they ARE better rides critically. They have more meaningful layouts and a better understanding of narrative progression and interest and intent than the likes of CPs tall for the sake of being tall assortment of forgettable experiences. And they would be forgettable, if it wasn't for the name CP crafted for itself.

Granted I've not not ridden Gatekeeper, but FoF and Vortex are both critically better than Swarm or Wild Eagle, IMO.

Sorry, what narrative is Vortex showing off?

Hoops and turns is not a 'narrative' it's a ride layout.

Or Beast for that matter.

Vortex literally just beats the **** out of you, and FoF just crawls round.

Like, there's no 'critical vs popular' you're just being weird and trying to defend your weirdness. Surely the point of a coaster is to be popular? If a ride isn't popular, sorry, it instantly fails.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
If you don't want to have a actual discussion Ben, that's fine - but please don't be so obnoxiously dismissive.

If we were just talking about the general public, if we were designing a ride right now, then I'd agree that popularity is kinda all that matters. And I do argue that all the time. But we're not talking about the GP here, this discussion specifically spawned from discussing fans. And fans of anything, enthusiasts, have very different taste to the masses more often than not.

Most cases where a ride or park is popular with fans, it's usually because it's critically well received by fans, but not always. CP is one of those exceptions. Most discussions featuring Cedar Point comparing it to other parks more in it's league, or it's rides to others of their types, are full to the brim with criticism. CP is a lot like Thorpe in that respect - high density of local fans and the place a lot of younger fans start. The volume of content at CP probably even creates enthusiasts. CP is a rare style of park - a thrill park who's reach isn't just regional. In fact, is there even another one? But that isn't based in the quality of it's rides, it's the overall package and brand built on years of highly marketable statistic laden gimmicks.

Obviously I don't mean literal narrative... :/ Roller coaster layouts do inherently have a sort of narrative in their delivery of ride experience and Vortex's is, in my opinion, a more valuable one than say... Millenium Force's. Does that inherently mean that Vortex is better than Millenium Force? No, it doesn't. Does that mean that Vortex is inherently more fun than Millenium Force? No, it doesn't. Vortex's middle section, which is standard loop-screw unimaginative crap, is sandwiched by two great elements which make it very different to most of it's kind and... Well, most coasters in general. And not in a "different for the sake of it" way. The vast majority of coasters have the layouts they do out of conventional ease, not conventional quality. They start tall and spectacular and they get increasingly slower, lower and dull. Vortex's finale batwing is spectacular. And I really like it's weird turn around after the first drop at the start of the ride too, I think it builds suspense. It's great. Yeah, it's rough as old boots, but it's... Old. It's allowed to be. Granted, I like Arrow loop-screws anyway and batwings are one of my favourite elements, but Vortex does have a great start and a great finish no matter which way you slice it. Compare that to Millenium Force, which... Does nothing. If, like me, you have zero fear of heights, MF has nothing going for it. No force. No dynamics. No interaction with the environment. Nothing. At all. It does nothing. For all it's faults, Intimidator 305 is a vastly better ride, because along with the height you get insane force and a spectacular finish that bares more similarity with Maverick than other mega/gigas.

As for Beast, well, Jeremy put it better than I ever could, so I'll leave this link here. But, Beast is a themeless, apparently storyless coaster with real drama and epic. It's an outstanding ride and I think most people just get so caught up in the bullpoop definitions for which coasters "should" be judged by they forget to just enjoy them. One of my favourite things about Beast are the lift hills, with crackling broken speakers dotted along them just far enough that the sound from the first becomes inaudible by the second. It's creepy as hell, more creepy and a better experience for not being perfect.

Kings Island isn't in Cedar Point's league, yet it's a richer, more rounded, interesting experience. There's none of CP's crap... No stupid rain policy, no insane crowds and no coasters which are just large for the sake of it without soul.

andrus

Giga Poster
Joey said:
Flight of Fear is a massively underrated ride. KIs was slightly better than KDs.
Second that! Only ridden the one at KD, but if the KI version is even better I can't wait to go!

Snoo said:
^Says the guy with i305 in his name, one of the most overrated rides ever. :)
Wait what?? :p Can you please explain mr Snoo :wink: I305 is one of the fastest, most extreme ride experiences there is! A unique ride only tied with Batman-clones, and maybe Kingda Ka, in terms of intensity among the rides I've been on.. Sure you might not like the ride experinence. But it definitely is one of the fastest and most intense rides out there!! And a lot of people like that, including me. To say that I305 is an overrated ride because you don't like extreme rides is like saying you don't like pizza because it got tomatoe sauce on top. But guess what? There are plenty of people who do like tomatoes and hence love pizza too :p :wink:

Joey, are you a) drunk, or b) on crack?

Vortex is not a good coaster, and even though it's better than Corkscrew, it's still not good. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say Vortex is one of the reasons that Kings Island has an edge over Cedar Point is ridiculous. Those coasters are dated pieces of crap.

I do agree that Flight of Fear is a very underrated coaster. I actually love them and I don't mind Flying Dutchmen either. I'd take Flight of Fear over a lot of coasters at Cedar Point (Raptor, Rougarou, etc), but as fun as Firehawk is, I don't think I'd ride it over Gatekeeper or any of the other major rides at CP.

I also don't understand where you're coming from when you say that Kings Island has any kind of atmosphere. Like, what? Granted, the entrance is a heck of a lot nicer than Cedar Point's boring entrance (Gatekeeper being there is cool, but no Eiffel Tower or fabulous fountains), but apart from that it's concrete and has no character. Cedar Point doesn't either, but at least the back of the park is somewhat acceptable. The front is gash, though.

I wasn't a fan of Banshee, and Diamondback is one of the worst Hyper coasters out of all the B&M Hypers out there. It rattled, and just wasn't that exciting. Better than Magnum, yes, but for what it is, it's not that good. I should have given Banshee a second chance really, but that's how much I didn't care for it.

I don't LOVE Cedar Point either, because I prefer parks with personality and Cedar Point just doesn't have it. But, neither does Kings Island. I think the geographic area of Cedar Point gives it an edge though, despite the weather problems. Yes, it's dumb that rides shut in the rain but there have been days where I went back when I was 13/14 and they kept rides open in the rain; however, knocking a park for the weather is just silly, and most Cedar Fair parks close when one speck of precipitation falls from the sky. I like the placing on the peninsula, so regardless of the lack of theming in either park and how sterile they both look, that givecs it the edge.

As far as coaster selection, Cedar Point wins as well. Beast is fantastic, and to me is probably better than almost everything at Cedar Point, and I'm not only talking about night rides. It is extremely enjoyable during the day as well. But at the end of the day, one great coaster and two good coasters doesn't compare to one or to great ones at Cedar Point (Maverick/TTD) and 6 or 7 above average ones that they have as well.

The argument for Son of Beast is just stupid. Yes, they tried to do something innovative so kudos to them, but that thing was a piece of ****. So, they tried and failed. And that to me does not equate to extra brownie points.

I don't like Kings Island. I'd never drive there to spend a day even though it's in fairly close proximity where I could if I wanted to. As much as Cedar Point has become a bit worn out to me because I live so close, I still go there a few times a year just to hangout for the day, because it's tolerable and they have good rides. As far as it being busy, it does have peak times like every other park, but most of the times I go I wait less than an hour for everything, and more often than not, no lines apart from Maverick/Dragster/Millennium are more than 20 minutes.

So yeah, Cedar Point. Kings Island needs an RMC to make me go back.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Cedar Point, no question about it. Although I do think Kings Island has more potential for future expansion. Cedar Point is running out of space, and they are landlocked. Kings Island has space to expand more. Cedar Point will probably always be better, but Kings Island definitely could almost be on par with Cedar Point in 10 years.