What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

codeman94

Mega Poster
Cedar Fair applied for trademarks (wordmarks) last month for "HANGTIME" and "THE LEDGE" for merchandise sales... I wonder if that might be a clue?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The question was posed on timing for ride announcement - Cedar Point has a rich history of having to building before full ride announcement. MF and TTD both started construction mid-summer the season before opening without having been announced - TTD wasn't fully announced until the season was over. Maverick famously began with cement footers being poured two off-seasons in advance. While Skyhawk was new that season (2006), the local paper ran a concurrent headline on the cement footers and what was being built. Maverick, in turn, was not announced until later that season. Gatekeeper and Valravn too were announced later in the season, even though Cedar Point hadn't already begun tear down of Disaster Transport (for Gatekeeper).

Take a look around at other parks, and you'll see many ride announcements also happen mid-to-late the previous season at the earliest.

So, in turn, especially considering Cedar Point wants focus on the new Cedar Point Shires water park revamp, I will not expect a ride announcement until August at the very earliest. Even still, waiting to announce until the off-season would allow the park to be in the clear for fully marketing Halloweekends.

Mack

Mega Poster
would agree, other example is Kennywood (though not Cedar Fair) for all intents and purposes was demolishing Steel Phantom until way late in the season when they announced Phantom's Revenge. i think every time cedar point builds something we basically know everything but the name by the point they officially announce it. they're not gonna announce anything until possibly even the end of the season. (understandable -- potential for confusing the public into thinking it was open now not coming soon)

LightDark18

Roller Poster
The question was posed on timing for ride announcement - Cedar Point has a rich history of having to building before full ride announcement. MF and TTD both started construction mid-summer the season before opening without having been announced - TTD wasn't fully announced until the season was over. Maverick famously began with cement footers being poured two off-seasons in advance. While Skyhawk was new that season (2006), the local paper ran a concurrent headline on the cement footers and what was being built. Maverick, in turn, was not announced until later that season. Gatekeeper and Valravn too were announced later in the season, even though Cedar Point hadn't already begun tear down of Disaster Transport (for Gatekeeper).

Take a look around at other parks, and you'll see many ride announcements also happen mid-to-late the previous season at the earliest.

So, in turn, especially considering Cedar Point wants focus on the new Cedar Point Shires water park revamp, I will not expect a ride announcement until August at the very earliest. Even still, waiting to announce until the off-season would allow the park to be in the clear for fully marketing Halloweekends.
I really don't think that HalloWeekends marketing matters. Cedar Point usually makes their announcements anywhere between mid-August and Labor Day for stakeholder reasons. Being able to announce future attractions towards the end of the summer gives potential stakeholders a reason to invest, or present stakeholders to keep their stock in the company. After all, most seasonal amusement parks close after Labor Day (with Halloween celebrations not really acknowledged by non-attendees), so stakeholders can look at the Q3 financial statements of Cedar Fair, look at their park investments for the following summer, and buy stock accordingly. Therefore, CP will advertise to the public about HalloWeekends solely for the remainder of the season, then advertise Mean Streak around April 2018 (because now the GP know about it). I mean, the only people that care about the announcements themselves are stakeholders and enthusiasts like us. Unless they pull a TTD, which I'm hoping they won't, I'd be shocked if the announcement was after Labor Day.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I really don't think that HalloWeekends marketing matters. Cedar Point usually makes their announcements anywhere between mid-August and Labor Day for stakeholder reasons. Being able to announce future attractions towards the end of the summer gives potential stakeholders a reason to invest, or present stakeholders to keep their stock in the company. After all, most seasonal amusement parks close after Labor Day (with Halloween celebrations not really acknowledged by non-attendees), so stakeholders can look at the Q3 financial statements of Cedar Fair, look at their park investments for the following summer, and buy stock accordingly. Therefore, CP will advertise to the public about HalloWeekends solely for the remainder of the season, then advertise Mean Streak around April 2018 (because now the GP know about it). I mean, the only people that care about the announcements themselves are stakeholders and enthusiasts like us. Unless they pull a TTD, which I'm hoping they won't, I'd be shocked if the announcement was after Labor Day.
It's a clever thought, though two year historical trends show park investment activity mostly takes place at the end and beginning of the amusement park season:
IMG_4728.PNG
This makes sense, as individual park capital projects (aka new ride construction) are only part of the factors of consideration for investment; investors typically are more focused on annual trends, such as year-over-year attendance growth, in-pack spending, etc.

I would still argue that marketing to the general public guides ride announcement, rather than investor activity/share price.

Michael Simpson Jr

Roller Poster
Just wanted to post some screenshots I took from an incredible video posted by coasterbob62 on youtube. This coaster is starting to look like one of the if not THE greatest coaster ever made <3

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.16.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.16.17 AM.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.16.31 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.16.31 AM.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.16.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.16.45 AM.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.15.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.15.40 AM.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.16.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.16.01 AM.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.14.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.14.51 AM.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.15.12 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 1.15.12 AM.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 110

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Friendly reminder: click full image after uploading to a post to show the photo at full resolution in your post. :)

codeman94

Mega Poster
I think he means that from the pics being posted, we haven't seen much more track being laid, and they made noticeable changes to the lift hill last week, but we haven't seen many obvious new things this week.

Mossed

Roller Poster
Exactly. Last week they worked a ton of ledgers, installed track all the way to the midcourse, and took out a chunk of the lift. This week, I've only noticed the addition of one ledger on the drop.

CP Rundown

Roller Poster
Nothing has been really changed with track just yet. They are working on the area they already have up and tightening bolts and making sure everything is good to go.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Sorry for the double post, but this was on TPR...

thumb_tmp_11374-img_03521015598860.png

whew

I was just scrolling (haven't been here in a while) and when I saw this, the first ride that came to mind was Maverick. This is going to be better than expected!