What's new

Cedar Point | Gemini Midway Update | Disco & Flying Scooters

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Re: Cedar Point | Gemini Midway Update | Disco & Flying Scoo

I'm honestly enjoying having Ouimett as CEO since he's trying to make the parks a bit nicer and understands the importance of theming. If we can see them building Banshee-level rides in the future I might like Cedar Fair a LITLE bit more...

I hate to drag this conversation on, but I feel like Cedar Point's only shot of building a giant drop tower would be a Zumanjaro-sized one on Dragster. Six Flags might have dibs on that copyright-wise (not sure how that works) but I feel like if they have the opportunity they should take it. There's nothing else they can really put there (unless they put a type of observation cabin in to replace Space Spiral, but I don't see anyone doing that anytime soon) and while they have PT, bottom line is that it simply isn't as scary as other drop towers out there. Building one on the side of Dragster definitely wouldn't hurt (I don't think they're that expensive) and could possibly help the queue times around the park (GateKeeper noticeably helped last time I went) so I think this might not be a terrible idea. Repainting Dragster and building a black and white drop tower with a similar theme (maybe market the three dropping gondolas as a drag race?) would be a good investment for the park, plus could help give them an excuse to spruce up the Dragster midway a bit. Not a full renovation like te Gemini midway, but just a few touch ups.

BACK ON TOPIC

I've noticed Cedar Fair has had a thing for lights ever since Windseeker. There were the light shows on the Windseekers, the Snoopy's Starlight Spectaculars, and the effects on GateKeeper (which are more than light up eyes and wing tips, the train bodies actually had twinkling purple lights that activated when it went through the keyholes), I feel like they could light up these rides nicely. I see Lake Erie Eagles getting a Windseeker-type show with the beams, and few twinkling LEDs on the disko's car and maybe some blue chasers on the structure.

Darren B

Giga Poster

^I actually agree with your drop tower argument, Although I haven't been to CP I've spoken to many that have and their response is always meh when it comes to the power tower and for me visually looking at it, It doesn't give me that chill like drop towers do.

I really don't think an Intamin drop tower would look out of place at all, especially with sit down/stand-up and stand-up floorless options, turning the S&S into a shot only then gives you 2 very different rides altogether with 2 very different visual perceptions. I wouldn't stick the tower onto TTD though, or any other coaster for that matter, Six flags have done it already in the USA so there wouldn't be any originality in CF copying that.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Cause CF installing a multitude of Windseekers in the same fashion of Star Flyers isnt copying or being original :eyeroll:

If Cedar Fair feels that having a 400ft tall drop tower is marketable, then they will do it. Plain and simple.

Flyers <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

2012Jarrett said:
I've noticed Cedar Fair has had a thing for lights ever since Windseeker.
Think further back - maXair in 2005 and Skyhawk in 2006 both feature their own array of LED lighting.

But indeed, there has been an effort over the last few years to keep the Cedar Point skyline well-lit. Power Tower, Giant Wheel, and Blue Streak have all received an updated LED light package.

jolash

Mega Poster

Hyde244 said:
2012Jarrett said:
I've noticed Cedar Fair has had a thing for lights ever since Windseeker.
Think further back - maXair in 2005 and Skyhawk in 2006 both feature their own array of LED lighting.

But indeed, there has been an effort over the last few years to keep the Cedar Point skyline well-lit. Power Tower, Giant Wheel, and Blue Streak have all received an updated LED light package.

As well as Milly. And thank god for the lights on PT. The light system was broken and bulbs burnt out for as long as I can remember.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I reached out to Cedar Point to clarify on what exact rides will be retired for next year, and it was confirmed that Rock Spin and Turn, Space Age, and the Bumper Boats will all be removed.

RockSpinandTurn1.jpg

SpaceAge1.jpg

BumperBoats.jpg

As mentioned in Cedar Point's announcement, Frog Hopper will be relocated inside Camp Snoopy and rethemed.

froghop.jpg

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

Taxi said:
rtotheizzo17 said:
Even with this new "cred" the Point stays 1 behind Magic Mountain. :)
Go and join Dick Kinzel. You and Him seem to be the only ones who seem to care about such petty issues.

Quality over Quantity. :angel:

Right, because being able to market "we have more coasters than anyone else" to a fanbase, and general public that identifies your park with coasters, is petty.

Intricks

Strata Poster

rtotheizzo17 said:
Taxi said:
rtotheizzo17 said:
Even with this new "cred" the Point stays 1 behind Magic Mountain. :)
Go and join Dick Kinzel. You and Him seem to be the only ones who seem to care about such petty issues.

Quality over Quantity. :angel:

Right, because being able to market "we have more coasters than anyone else" to a fanbase, and general public that identifies your park with coasters, is petty.

Seeing as how their lack of 3 coasters from MM 19 has yet to stop them from calling themselves the Roller Coast or the Coaster Capital of the World (or whatever they have decided to use this year), I dont think they are too bothered by SFMM shoving in kid coasters.

So yea, you's a wee bit petty one.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

Whatever. It all started as a sarcastic comment and then the Cedar Point fanboy brigade comes out of the closet faster than Lance Bass.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Dont you mean Ricky Martin?

Besides, you were the one who made the initial comment of count (sarcastic or not), which makes you sound more fanboy-ish than those who responded to you with statements stating otherwise.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

Valleyfair is getting a disk o like cedar point for 2014. So it won't surprise me if the other parks will be getting one in the coming years, if they don't already have one.

Hutch

Strata Poster

Took a quick look on the park's Facebook and found a few pics. Please note that some of these are over a month old.

397482_10151923860466463_844453266_n.jpg

1084913_10151963847581463_1814963114_o.jpg

Wilderness Run/Jr. Gemini has also been painted green.
1529988_10151975870791463_1970178701_o.jpg

Overall I really like what they're doing to this place. This will be a great little area once it's complete.