What's new

Cedar Point | Gemini Midway Update | Disco & Flying Scooters

jolash

Mega Poster
Re: Cedar Point | Gemini Midway Update | Disco & Flying Scoo

gavin said:
^ No, and anyone who says otherwise deserves to be shot in the face in front of their family.

Little harsh don't ya think? At least do it out back.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

jolash said:
I really like that more in the area is being absorbed into Camp Snoopy, with Jr Gemini and the Frog Hopper being renamed. A "lets not half-ass this" mentality, and I really commend that. The pic of the flyer in front of Gemini looks marvelous as well.

Also, lets take note that Cedar Point is referring to the new Disk'O as just a RIDE, for those who are still considering them roller coasters.
Bingo.

There is a definite calculation with this addition, more so than just dropping in two new rides and calling it "Good enough."

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Yay! :D :D :D

I used to love the eagles at Kings Island as a kid and I was so sad when they tore them out (though BSC's pretty awesome too if you're an eleven-year old, so I wasn't complaining) so they're two hours further than they were, but I'm glad there'll be one closer than Virginia! (We didn't even GET to ride them when we went in 2010 because my family felt the need to walk right past it with no line, I SWEAR they'd get eaten alive by the park gnomes if they didn't have me. -_-) They're a lot of fun and I love being able to swing them around violently, so this is great news!

A while back I said that I wanted to see this part of the park get a facelift, but at the same time was concerned about it losing its old school charm that makes it feel like an 80's throwback. Both of these rides seem very much like they will fit in with the area and while they may not be from that time period, I could see them being from it.

My home park has Surf Dog which I absolutely love, but hate the theming of it. Those things are great if you ride out on the ends. And since it seems to be an underlying topic here, I personally don't count it in my coaster count. The way I classify coasters requires them to meet a set of criteria for an initial launch/gravity-powered coaster or fit the criteria for a powered coaster, and part of my criteria for a powered coaster is that it is a full circuit, and the disco is absolutely not a full circuit.

Though looking at that picture, it looks like my prediction on those pointless kiddie rides being removed was correct. I'm glad they moved the frog hopper since it's one of the better types of kiddie rides there are, and it looks like those bumper boats next to it are getting relocated to the giant theme park in the sky. It looks like that basketball shootout thing stays but the two other game buildings next to it go, and a path loops around it.

One thing I noticed is that it focuses on just the the eastern part of the midway. Could we see a possible phase 2 of this expansion on the western side of it? Preferably filling in that giant grassy area near Gemini's entrance? Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I do think a very tall drop tower would work well there. Build a Falcon's Fury-style tower and paint the structure beige with red and white accents and it would work very well in the area. Curious to see if this is it for the Gemini midway or if they continue to renovate it.

And then there's Junior Gemini. Not only am I happy that I rode it in its final season under that name (Though honestly, it's awful. The train jerks to the side a bit when the chain lift engages and those airtime valleys are painful, in addition to the the feeling that the whole thing's about to just collapse under your weight, not to mention I was able to just reach out and pick a handful of leaves on that last turn had I wanted.) and while it's better than any of the kiddie coasters I grew up on, I don't see them theming it to Wilderness Run easily. It looks like it's getting repainted brown in the sketch but the station still looks the same. While I suppose it could be forest-themed with the wood and river rock, I see it as looking like the poster child of 80s architecture. They probably won't mess with it since kids won't see it that way, but they could maybe put log cabin-looking siding on that roof slab that's currently colorful siding with the Jr. Gemini name on it. It doesn't look like the trains get a repaint, but they'll have to do something about the Jr. Gemini name on the front car. Maybe it's just a decal they can rip off so it just says Cedar Point.

But this looks great! Can't wait to see this if/when I make the trip up there next year!

jolash

Mega Poster

Wait wait wait wait. Did you just say a "very large drop tower"?

Power Tower. That is all.

Jarrett

jolash said:

Power Tower's sick and all and the shot side rocks, but I feel like "the best amusement park in the world" should have a better drop tower. Most would agree that drop towers are the scariest type of amusement ride and Power Tower, while it is fun, doesn't really fill that gap anymore. It's great and all but at the end of the day, it's the size of Mach Tower. I hate drop towers and I'll get on it. I feel like they should build one that's 300+ feet. That park has a lot of tall structures, namely Dragster and Millennium. Most of the time drop towers are the tallest structures in the park (KI, KD, BGT, BGW, ect.) so you can see all of the park below you. My issue with PT is that Dragster is right next to it and you can still see that you're not at the tallest point in the park. I doubt they'll be able to build a 43-story drop tower on that little island but a 300 foot one to put you at eye level with Millennium would be nice. Maybe take Kings Island's record for tallest gyro drop and reuse the Space Spiral name.

Basically, Power Tower fills a gap that needs filled, this is very true. However, I don't feel like it's on par for a park of that quality and they need to try to do better. Keep PT, but build another one that focuses on just a huge, scary freefall to earth.

jolash

Mega Poster
Cedar Point | Gemini Midway Update | Disco & Flying Scooters

So let me get this straight. You're saying that we should remove Power Tower, a ride that is 240 feet tall with a 60 foot dome (300 feet total), and for a 300 foot tower.

incredulous.gif

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^^ Name a single amusement park that has two large drop towers. It is difficult to argue for a redundant ride when it could be possible to spend on more needed investments, such as this midway update.

2012Jarrett said:
One thing I noticed is that it focuses on just the the eastern part of the midway. Could we see a possible phase 2 of this expansion on the western side of it? Preferably filling in that giant grassy area near Gemini's entrance?
This is not a large investment, and does not require a two phase construction. (Such as the Hotel Breaker's large scale two year project)

It's important to bear in mind that there is such a thing as over crowding. Trying to cram rides into spaces that barely fit will usually come off bad - just take a look at the overhead.

http://binged.it/15unYqs

Jarrett

Hyde244 said:
^^ Name a single amusement park that has two large drop towers. It is difficult to argue for a redundant ride when it could be possible to spend on more needed investments, such as this midway update.

2012Jarrett said:
One thing I noticed is that it focuses on just the the eastern part of the midway. Could we see a possible phase 2 of this expansion on the western side of it? Preferably filling in that giant grassy area near Gemini's entrance?
This is not a large investment, and does not require a two phase construction. (Such as the Hotel Breaker's large scale two year project)

It's important to bear in mind that there is such a thing as over crowding. Trying to cram rides into spaces that barely fit will usually come off bad - just take a look at the overhead.

http://binged.it/15unYqs

I thought Kennywood had two, Pitt Fall and something else that was smaller, though I know Pitt Fall is gone now. What I was thinking is maybe CP turns all four Power Tower towers to shot instead of drop, and build Space Spiral 2.0 or something. I agree that it isn't as necessary and they could be spending more on other things, such as tearing down the two car rides right next to each other and building a new coaster/expansion in the land off of Blue Streak or getting Shoot the Rapids back up and running or replaced (I really think/hope it can be fixed but if not then they could easily fit something else nice in there). All I'm saying is that Cedar Point is a great park but some of its attractions that fill crucial gaps to seem to be of the same quality of the other rides, namely the gaps for a good woodie and a drop tower. So while it's not a desperate need, it's always something they could do if they get around to it. I also wouldn't mind a replacement for Paddlewheel Excursions, maybe some medium-sized speedboat cruises that guests can take that zip around Millennium Island at a relatively brisk speed, if wind wouldn't be too much of a factor than I've always thought parks could use those little fan-driven swamp boats for things like this and Rhine River Cruise.

But yeah, I do agree that while it would be nice, there are a thousand other things that could be done.

bentcookie

Mega Poster

2012Jarrett said:
jolash said:

Power Tower's sick and all and the shot side rocks, but I feel like "the best amusement park in the world" should have a better drop tower. Most would agree that drop towers are the scariest type of amusement ride and Power Tower, while it is fun, doesn't really fill that gap anymore. It's great and all but at the end of the day, it's the size of Mach Tower. I hate drop towers and I'll get on it. I feel like they should build one that's 300+ feet. That park has a lot of tall structures, namely Dragster and Millennium. Most of the time drop towers are the tallest structures in the park (KI, KD, BGT, BGW, ect.) so you can see all of the park below you. My issue with PT is that Dragster is right next to it and you can still see that you're not at the tallest point in the park. I doubt they'll be able to build a 43-story drop tower on that little island but a 300 foot one to put you at eye level with Millennium would be nice. Maybe take Kings Island's record for tallest gyro drop and reuse the Space Spiral name.

Basically, Power Tower fills a gap that needs filled, this is very true. However, I don't feel like it's on par for a park of that quality and they need to try to do better. Keep PT, but build another one that focuses on just a huge, scary freefall to earth.

First off, Cedar Point's Island is far from little lol. The park alone is 370 acres. That's not including the parking lot, Camper Village, Soak City, the Soak City parking lot, Challenge Park, etc. etc.
Secondly, a 43-story drop tower wouldn't take up a lot of space in the park. Heck, it would barely take up any space. Plus CP will most likely never build one anyways.

Jarrett

First off, Cedar Point's Island is far from little lol. The park alone is 370 acres. That's not including the parking lot, Camper Village, Soak City, the Soak City parking lot, Challenge Park, etc. etc.
Secondly, a 43-story drop tower wouldn't take up a lot of space in the park. Heck, it would barely take up any space. Plus CP will most likely never build one anyways.
I know the park is big, but that's not what I was referring to. I remember that BGT had issues getting groundwork ready for Falcon's Fury because of the high water table. Cedar Point could be different, but I bet they could have similar issues supporting something that big with just one big footer. I know TTD is that tall, but it's done on three footers instead of the giant one normally used for drop towers. I'm not saying it's impossible, it just might be hard.

Another idea I've had is the possibility of drop towers having large antennae at the top that could attach to guy wires, similar to radio towers. Could this make a drop tower taller? And in the case of an Intamin drop tower (not a gyro drop, just a traditional one with individual carriages) could they just secure the guy wires in between cars?

And I never said remove PT, I said turn all four sides to shot. And PT's drop is only 240 feet, I meant that the park seems like they could use a 300+ drop. I know it's not an immediate need, but I don't think a 240-foot drop tower is on par with some of the other rides that fill major gaps at the park.

jolash

Mega Poster

Let me stop you right there. Any structure that is so tall that it requires guy wires because it can't support itself, shouldn't be dropping people off the side of it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

2012Jarrett said:
And I never said remove PT, I said turn all four sides to shot. And PT's drop is only 240 feet, I meant that the park seems like they could use a 300+ drop. I know it's not an immediate need, but I don't think a 240-foot drop tower is on par with some of the other rides that fill major gaps at the park.
What you're suggesting would require millions of dollars to reverse engineer two sides of a drop tower to do the same thing the other two sides already do.

Let's take a step back and realistically look at new park additions. New park experiences are what is most sought after.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Eww, those flying scooters have vile capacity and offer very little thrill.

Disk-O - Meh. Unless it's going to be as well themed as the one at Plopsaland, it's nothing to write home about.

I quite like the new name for Jr Gemini.

A solid medicore announcement, although I expected they'd put some **** in for kids after GateKeeper this year.

steel

Mega Poster

Hyde244 said:
^^ Name a single amusement park that has two large drop towers.
Cedar Point 1998-2009 and Dorney Park 2010-present. Demon Drop definitely qualifies.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Demon Drop is a 130 ft. first generation Intamin drop tower. No, it is not a large drop tower.

When dealing with drop towers in the magnitude of 300+ ft., I would envision a drop tower as having more than a 60 ft. drop.

jolash

Mega Poster

Plus Demon Drop is a whole hell of a lot more unique in the way it operates as opposed to today's drop towers.

bmac

Giga Poster

Ian said:
Eww, those flying scooters have vile capacity and offer very little thrill.

If you can get the tubs to snap the ride gets really fun for the rest of the cycle :--D

Taxi

Mega Poster

rtotheizzo17 said:
Even with this new "cred" the Point stays 1 behind Magic Mountain. :)
Go and join Dick Kinzel. You and Him seem to be the only ones who seem to care about such petty issues.

Quality over Quantity. :angel:

jolash

Mega Poster

Taxi said:
rtotheizzo17 said:
Even with this new "cred" the Point stays 1 behind Magic Mountain. :)
Go and join Dick Kinzel. You and Him seem to be the only ones who seem to care about such petty issues.

Quality over Quantity. :angel:

And so far I'd say we're enjoying him being retired just as much as he is.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

Hyde244 said:
^^ Name a single amusement park that has two large drop towers.
Liseberg has two S&S towers plus the one that used to be an observation tower.