What's new

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The nostalgic side of me would love a GCI tribute to the old Cyclone ride that existed along the boardwalk. And the line-up logic would point to a Flyer or 4D making a great rounding out of offerings.

However

Let me propose to you that for Cedar Point's 150th anniversary, they truly go for the height and speed record, and build the first 500 ft. roller coaster. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it requires a lot of length and preparation. And yes, it requires a willing manufacturer. But if there is any one park with all three of these factors, it would be Cedar Point.

I know, bonkers, but hey, it's as good a time as any to make it happen.

Snoo

The Legend
The nostalgic side of me would love a GCI tribute to the old Cyclone ride that existed along the boardwalk. And the line-up logic would point to a Flyer or 4D making a great rounding out of offerings.

However

Let me propose to you that for Cedar Point's 150th anniversary, they truly go for the height and speed record, and build the first 500 ft. roller coaster. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it requires a lot of length and preparation. And yes, it requires a willing manufacturer. But if there is any one park with all three of these factors, it would be Cedar Point.

I know, bonkers, but hey, it's as good a time as any to make it happen.

Please give me what you're smoking. It MUST be good.

KJ7500

Roller Poster
Put me in the camp that would like to see a pier with a GCI on it. I don't think they would need to go all crazy with the height. Make something families would want to ride, and a smaller wooden coaster would have a more retro look to it to go with the pier. The only GCI's I've ridden are White Lightning and Renegade and they were both a blast.
The pier would be such a huge infrastructure investment it seems like it might be a multi year project? The pier itself one year, maybe relocate Giant Wheel on it, and the GCI the next? Come up with some kind of gimmick, shows, splash zones maybe to fill the empty space before thed GCI goes up. It would be classy and old school but wouldn't go with Tony's teaser of some huge ride.
I don't see them ready to pull the plug on Magnum so I say give it new B and M trains next year for its big 30th. And I don't see why the rush to do something with Gemini. I love it. It's my favorite Arrow. Blue Streak and Corkscrew I wouldn't mind seeing go bye bye though.

Snoo

The Legend
Put me in the camp that would like to see a pier with a GCI on it. I don't think they would need to go all crazy with the height. Make something families would want to ride, and a smaller wooden coaster would have a more retro look to it to go with the pier. The only GCI's I've ridden are White Lightning and Renegade and they were both a blast.
The pier would be such a huge infrastructure investment it seems like it might be a multi year project? The pier itself one year, maybe relocate Giant Wheel on it, and the GCI the next? Come up with some kind of gimmick, shows, splash zones maybe to fill the empty space before thed GCI goes up. It would be classy and old school but wouldn't go with Tony's teaser of some huge ride.
I don't see them ready to pull the plug on Magnum so I say give it new B and M trains next year for its big 30th. And I don't see why the rush to do something with Gemini. I love it. It's my favorite Arrow. Blue Streak and Corkscrew I wouldn't mind seeing go bye bye though.

They won't sacrifice the beach in any way as that has been their promotion and will continue to be tbh. They want it to be more than a 1 day appearance and using more of the beach just for a new coaster kind of defeats the purpose.

Magnum won't be changing until they tear it down. Those trains are not only iconic but perfectly find given the ride type. Plus B&M on Arrow? Let's not. :p

KJ7500

Roller Poster
They won't sacrifice the beach in any way as that has been their promotion and will continue to be tbh. They want it to be more than a 1 day appearance and using more of the beach just for a new coaster kind of defeats the purpose.

Magnum won't be changing until they tear it down. Those trains are not only iconic but perfectly find given the ride type. Plus B&M on Arrow? Let's not. :p
Yeah, even jutting out from the beach and not running along it, it would still be an interruption that would kind of split it into two beaches on either side and mess with the nice clean sightlines out into Lake Erie. It's too bad they couldn't put it on the end of the peninsula at the Sandcastle Suites site, but there were be no way to connect it to the rest of the park and I'm sure they have something else planned for there

Last edited:

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah, even jutting out from the beach and not running along it, it would still be an interruption that would kind of split it into two beaches on either side and mess with the nice clean sightlines out into Lake Erie. It's too bad they couldn't put it on the end of the peninsula at the Sandcastle Suites site, but there were be no way to connect it to the rest of the park and I'm sure they have something else planned for there

Agreed. It is a definite shame as that would be pretty awesome tbh but it wouldn't work with CP's current mindset. However, a coaster going along the beachline? Yeah. I could see it.

gad198

Roller Poster
What Cedar Point could really use right now is something that people can ride/experience when the weather is inclement; i.e., a dark ride. It's something that non-coaster rides can do, families can ride together, and would be able to run whether the weather is good or not.

If they're looking at a coaster then I agree that a GCI makes sense, although not on the beach. I don't think that a beachside location makes sense from a noise standpoint. Right now that beach is pretty quiet, and a lot of beachgoers go that part of the peninsula to relax. None of the coasters on that part of the peninsula - except maybe Wicked Twister - makes a lot of noise. I can't see them wanting to disrupt a perfectly peaceful part of the park to install a coaster that will make a ton of noise.

I agree with whoever said Cedar Point needs a dark ride. Their coaster lineup is already next to perfect, and although I know they will likely get a coaster for 2020, a dark ride would be a much needed and awesome addition.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
TBF, this is also an amusement park that had an indoor roller coaster that had to close in the rain. ;)

I too would be all for a pier addition to the beach; would be a super cool aesthetic addition on the north-side of the park. I only discount this as the park has already done a lot of work over the last two years to buff up the beach experience, crowning with the boardwalk connection to the front parking lot and addition of the summer stage underway on the old Aquatics Stadium - I think we're just about done with new capital projects on the beach.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
Maybe for a haunt?
The queues are only connected to Wicked Twister and lie directly to the right of the “old” queues. They were behind the fence where that new stage is next to Windseeker. Definetly points to something big coming to the ride as there is no need to add essentially a half hour more of queue space for a ride that has terrible ridership.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The queues are only connected to Wicked Twister and lie directly to the right of the “old” queues. They were behind the fence where that new stage is next to Windseeker. Definetly points to something big coming to the ride as there is no need to add essentially a half hour more of queue space for a ride that has terrible ridership.
I mean...small track...extra queue...perfect location...
2c286f24e6c38d778729ded1007f1958.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
A Raptor at Cedar Point would actually have insane wait times

That is if you're going under the assumption they have the same design as the current style. That won't happen. And with CP's ops.. you will see it flowing.