What's new

Cedar Fair ends deal with Apollo

Snoo

The Legend
The $635m takeover of Ohio theme park company Cedar Fair by US private equity firm Apollo Global Management has been terminated as a result of insufficient investor support. Cedar Fair is to pay the firm $6.5m for expenses incurred while the deal was under discussion.

http://www.altassets.com/private-equity ... 18301.html

Finally a case where the people win when they don't like something. Epic.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Cedar Fair now having to pay out over $6.5 million on top of the debts this was supposed to eliminate doesn't sound like much of a good thing to me. Add to that the costs of the three new rides & I wouldn't be surprised if I-305 & Timmy would be the only new coasters we see at a Cedar Fair park for quite some time. :(

Snoo

The Legend
Well, I'm sure the debts don't have to be in one lump sum, and CF will most likely go on doing what they were doing before.. building rides. Hell, they built $50 million in coasters before the Apollo deal.

The $6.5 mil will do something I'm sure though.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
$6.5mil isn't really that much though, is it? I admit it's not a good thing, but Ii'm pretty sure it's not that much of a burden. Besides, I think it's much better this way than Apollo buying them then selling all of the parks off individually.

justinmyersm

Mega Poster
Just praise the Lord above that it fell through. I told my whole family to vote against the Apollo. They would have ruined CF. The Sandusky Register reported that they wanted to merge Six Flags and Cedar Fair together... WTF?