What's new

Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Snoo said:
This ride reminds me of Raging Bull.. or what it should be. If this can keep that pace and they dont trim it to death.. it could be quite fun to be tossed around at such high speed.
This. Not ridden Raging Bull (yet) but I do think it could be fun hitting those overbanks and turns if there's enough force involved. Half the fun of Leviathan was hitting some of those turns and while the other half was the insane airtime you got which Fury obviously lacks, this seems to hit the first turn a bit faster and the turnaround at the end looks wonderfully forceful and could have some good airtime off of it, so that could easily make up for the lack of airtime if it's as balls to the wall (or hopefully more) than Leviathan.

I'm curious to see how this rides at night. Leviathan was a good potential for a lovely night ride and while climbing to the top, getting blasted by the winds up there, seeing the Toronto skyline lit up sprawling along the horizon, and being dropped into that dark tunnel with those light up eyes was absolutely metal (I kid you not, it was so dark there you couldn't see the ground directly below you and it was absolutely TERRIFYING) but the rest of the ride wasn't that great. If they put a lighting package like they did on Banshee (ideally they would use the same effect used to project the branches on the loop in the valley but project green honeycomb onto the structure) I'd like to see that used very sparingly, maybe just kept to the turnaround, helix, and around the bridge. Getting slammed into those turns at night without being able to see which direction you're going could be great, especially with some cool green lights on the trains and nothing else on most of the layout. There should definitely be cool lights on and around the bridge and some on the less "throwy" elements but other than that, I'd like to ride this in as much darkness as possible. Personally, I feel like a few fancy lights and the lift lights are all this ride needs.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Looks like you'll actually get some pretty good airtime on that hill! Assuming that the trim was actually on.

And that roar <3

Intricks

Strata Poster
Omg...... <3

I do think B&M have designed some of their more recent creations to be a bit more intense than what they used to be.

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
2012Jarrett said:
Snoo said:
This ride reminds me of Raging Bull.. or what it should be. If this can keep that pace and they dont trim it to death.. it could be quite fun to be tossed around at such high speed.
This. Not ridden Raging Bull (yet) but I do think it could be fun hitting those overbanks and turns if there's enough force involved. Half the fun of Leviathan was hitting some of those turns and while the other half was the insane airtime you got which Fury obviously lacks, this seems to hit the first turn a bit faster and the turnaround at the end looks wonderfully forceful and could have some good airtime off of it, so that could easily make up for the lack of airtime if it's as balls to the wall (or hopefully more) than Leviathan.
I'm still trying to figure out why a bunch of you assume there is no airtime in this ride. None of you have ridden it, and are basing airtime off of a video or 2 at this point.

I looked at the POV released and if you want to base your assumptions off of a video, then the POV is a good indicator. It looks like the camera was attached to a water dummy, and anytime there was "Airtime" you could see the lead car of the train come into view. I could see the lead car on the following points of the ride:

First Drop
Stengel Dive
3 hills following the turn around.

So We could each either be wrong or right, or somewhere in between. I'm going to guess that there's a good mix of airtime and not because the park clearly didn't need an airtime machine when they already have Intimidator. However that doesn't mean that this ride is completely void of airtime. I'd bet that even in some of the transitions there's airtime to be had.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The Hedgehog said:
I looked at the POV released and if you want to base your assumptions off of a video, then the POV is a good indicator. It looks like the camera was attached to a water dummy, and anytime there was "Airtime" you could see the lead car of the train come into view. I could see the lead car on the following points of the ride:

First Drop
Stengel Dive
3 hills following the turn around

Plausible theory - though worth pointing out sight of the lead car would be specifically related to transitions in the track - tight transitions is what causes a bend in the train, bringing the zero car into view.

In general, that will occur during an airtime hill, when the track is bending downwards, or during a steep climb, where the track bends upwards. Either time usually will be full of positive or negative g-force.

But as you said, there is no point to defending nor proclaiming the presence/lack of airtime as folks simply do not know based on video. That's the fun in riding. :)

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
Hyde said:
The Hedgehog said:

First Drop
Stengel Dive
3 hills following the turn around

Plausible theory - though worth pointing out sight of the lead car would be specifically related to transitions in the track - tight transitions is what causes a bend in the train, bringing the zero car into view.

In general, that will occur during an airtime hill, when the track is bending downwards, or during a steep climb, where the track bends upwards. Either time usually will be full of positive or negative g-force.

But as you said, there is no point to defending nor proclaiming the presence/lack of airtime as folks simply do not know based on video. That's the fun in riding. :)

Good point. I'll be interested to see how this coaster rides. I'm just excited that I no longer have to go to Ohio for a Giga Coaster, and it's only 3 and a half hours away.

Snoo

The Legend
It's also just assuming for discussions sake on rides we've been on before. No one has ANY idea how it will actually ride but similar rides can prove to be reliable sources.

Of course no one knows. I thought the turn arounds on Goliath at SFGAm would just be turn arounds. Who knew you'd get airtime in those bad boys? :)

XLR8R

Roller Poster
_koppen said:
It looks a lot faster in this video!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn3Z4B0l12M[/youtube]

Wow, that looks really powerful for a B&M.

The train is going much faster through the course on its test run than Nitro or Diamondback, the two B&M hypers that I have been on.

bmac

Giga Poster
It's gonna slow down a bit if they change wheel compounds, shouldn't affect the ride too much however.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Put the date in your diary - opening to the public on March 28th!

bmac

Giga Poster
Been looking at the live feed streams of this thing cycling. It is an utter speed monster, and keeps getting faster as it cycles.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
bmac said:
Been looking at the live feed streams of this thing cycling. It is an utter speed monster, and keeps getting faster as it cycles.

Doesn't matter, not going to Euro park so it's vile American trash. Ughhhhhhhh <<<<<<<//////3

Ben

CF Legend
^Get over yourself, everyone's been praising it.

People are allowed whatever opinion they want, irregardless of geography.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Saying a 95 mph coaster looks slow and saying a probably 70 foot tall coaster at phantasialand looks massive is just misinformed and idiotic.

Have your opinions obviously, but some statements made in this topic are more ridiculous than saying Michael Bay hates explosions, Tarantino uses too little blood, and JJ Abrams despises solar flare effects.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ Do you have an example of a "ridiculous comment", because I see nothing but praise for it. Some people aren't too fond of the layout, is that so ridiculous? And where does anybody say it is slow?

Ben

CF Legend
Noone has said it looks slow and people keep saying it looks great.

You're really making something out of nothing here just to have a pop at people for... being European? It's uncalled for and really childish.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Carowinds released some additional test run footage. Yummy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN8dNlf_ggU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]