What's new

Can or Tin?

What do you call a beans/soup metal container?

• Can

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Tin

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I would say a can of coke, a tin of beans.

That said, now I think about it saying it the other way round doesn't really stand out as being wrong.

jayjay

Giga Poster
For me, it's always a tin if it's soup/beans (paper sleeved, tin opener job). But now Hixee's mentioned drinks cans. Those are definitely cans.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
I'm German, I go "dose". :p
I was taught that it's always tin, except when it's a drink like a coke.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Can for both. I really only use Tin when talking about Foil or the actual element.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It is a can - we stopped using tin to make them a long time ago. :p

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'm a can man.

Definitely use it with can of sweetcorn. Think I alternate between can and tin when it comes to beans.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
To me a can is anything with a ring pull....but I use them pretty much interchangeably.
But isn't the technical term a tin can? So surely both 'tin' and 'can' are just abbreviations of the same phrase? ;)

Ben

CF Legend
Yh I was going to say, they're tin cans.

I would say a can for drinks, tins for food stuff.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
To me a can is anything with a ring pull....but I use them pretty much interchangeably.
But isn't the technical term a tin can? So surely both 'tin' and 'can' are just abbreviations of the same phrase? ;)
Technically, no because the "tin" in "tin can" is an adjective, not a noun. Through common usage "tin" used by itself in that context has become a noun, but if you're saying "tin can", it's the "can" that's actually holding something.

Plus, they're not made of tin these days anyway.

Anyway, it's an American VS UK thing. We would ordinary use "can" for soft drinks, but food comes in "tins". Americans have cans of food. If a Brit says, for example "a can of beans", it's yet another Americanism that is sneaking in.

Last edited:

Gazza

Giga Poster
Tins for basically any context I reckon, except for worms.
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
if it's drink - it's a can.
if it's custard powder, biscuits or confectionary - it's a tin
if it's soup, veg, pasta, pet food, curry etc. - I'm not too bothered whcih one you use!

Mack

Mega Poster
I'm American. So. A can is what holds things. A tin is a can that is being discussed by an Aussie/Brit. Also, Mysterious Sue, if you were wondering, in the States, no, they are "canned goods." "Tinned goods" is a phrase I've never heard before.

Anywayyyy, so you should probably say tin. Because we seem to like people who don't talk so good.
*Izzit. Sorry, forgot to put that there so you could understand me.

Not that it matters. Eventually you'll be skeduling your lunch breaks during which you will heat up soup from a can. We're just that nefarious.

Last edited: