What's new

Camera Regulations?

gci2011

Roller Poster
Hi CoasterForce,

I'm interested in trying to film some coaster POV at parks I'm planning to go to later this summer. I was wondering if you know anything about camera policies at certain parks, and what would be a good way to safely mount a camera to a coaster train. I'm looking at parks like Quassy, Lake Compounce, SFNE, SFGAdv, Dorney Park, Knoebels, and Kennywood.

If anybody has experience with this, please let me know what is allowed and what would be a good way to try to do this.

Thanks so much!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
If you want to mount a camera to the train, you need to approach park management and request permission. You may find smaller parks are happy to help, but the larger chains won't let you. It's really a case of write to them and see what comes back. I really wouldn't hold any hopes though as it will require a change in operations for the park on that coaster and delays. So you would need a very sound reason for it. You can get good clamps for some cameras that mean they're safely attached, it's really down to what is available for your camera - however make sure it's well tested and you know what you're doing before riding.

As for taking a hand held camera on, most parks have a loose article rule. In some states it's actually illegal to take on camera recording equipment, so you can actually fall foul of the law. Most parks don't allow it, some will if you ask permission on the day and can show it to be safe. Again, it's really a case of asking and seeing on the day - but don't expect miracles.

It's different in Europe, with most parks being quite happy to let you use cameras (with the exception of Merlin parks where a camera will be taken off you on the lift hill). So yeah, ask permission and go from there really.