What's new

Camelot Theme Park Goes Into Receivership

Waffleman

Mega Poster
I hope they can at least drag the gates open for one day this year, just so people like us can give them that tiny bit more cash just to get one last (and, for many, first) look at the park.

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
It would be sad to see it get transformed into a scrap heap like all the other abandoned UK parks in the north that went the same way. I am just saying maybe if a good buyer got on board they would give it a good cleanup and get it running again. People in the north will get bored of going to Pleasure Beach eventually but there is no where else to go anymore. The once good Pleasureland, Frontierland, Camelot have gone. Now all we have is Pleasure Beach and a bog standard Gullivers park.

Adrian

Roller Poster
A recorded message on their main switchboard + marketing line says the park will be opening on May 23rd 09.

This is a different recorded message as that what has been there ever since they went under in Feb and the website has been updated saying that they are 'hopeful that we may be able to reopen in 2009'.

luke8

Mega Poster
I contacted the recievers group which have been appointed at Camelot and after much persistance and 2 hours of being on 'hold', I was told that they have sold a couple of rides from camelot already and will continue to do so throughout the year, however the park will remain operating from may 23rd onwards.

So, we'll clearly be seeing rides start disappearing as the year goes on - I wonder how much will be left by September then?

A

Anonymous

Yes one of the people I go out with on manchester gay scene works at Camelot, he has been re-employed from may onwards.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
I wonder if the rides will leave the park immediately, as it is possible to agree the sale of a ride in the future.

Ollie

CF Legend
So it's opening again this year, but the rides will be going from the park throughout the year as well?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Moving rides takes a while. It's not like a park will say "hey, I've got a Knightmare sized spot here - best get it shipped in right away!"

They need months, or years, to make room and plan to install a new coaster.

If it's removed from Camelot tomorrow, then they need to store the ride for the next months or years which costs. Why not just take the ride at the end of the season when they're ready? If the money from the sale enables the park to remain open a while longer - the receivers will have done the deal :)

luke8

Mega Poster
I think they probably mean smaller rides Furie, and things on travelling bases e.g the kiddie rides, tea cups etc.

Excalibur's on a temporary frame, as are loads of other small major rides too at the park.

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
They will probably shift the rides after the park closes (presumably in September) and in the time it is open find homes for them to go to. A lot of the rides are there on lease so they will just return to other parts of the country. I bet a lot of the rides will end up in storage if I am honest.

Knightmare was installed at the park but it belongs to a showman down south. I think I heard somewhere (as a rumour) that Lightwater Valley has been keeping a close watch on Camelot. Maybe they will be interested in taking over Knightmare. Its quite cheap and would suit the park lineup (given planning permission.) Then again as someone said its quite an old coaster and that alone might put potential buyers off. Its highly possible that it will just end up in being stored away like previous Schwarzkopf coasters.

As for Whirlwind, I really can't see that making it to a park. Its likely to end up back on the German/British fair scene if it survives the chop at all.
The only other ride worth saving is the Dragon Flyer which itself is a unique powered coaster. It would be sad to see that go I suppose. But who would buy a rusty powered coaster when Gerslauer are flogging brand new Eurofighters on the cheap?

I'm glad Camelot has decided to open its gates one last time. They could easily have not bothered but they are trying to stay true. I will probably go down and hand over twenty quid for one last look inside. Its been quite a good park despite a few flaws. Its nothing in comparison to some of the bigger parks but its no where near as bad as some people are making out. Standing as an individual park serving thousands of people whilst competing with Pleasure Beach and Pleasureland for all those years, I'd say Camelot has done quite well. It has been quite busy when I've been even in the rain. It was a hot spot for families with younger children and whilst it never promised the treats of, say Alton Towers or Thorpe it certainly delivered a very good day out in the North West and when it closes its gates for the last time I will feel sorrowful.

And another thing, at least Camelot is warning people that it is soon ready for closure. Amanda Thompson just closed Pleasureland without warning which was awful not only for the enthusiasts and resort but for the staff too.

luke8

Mega Poster
Dragon Flyer won't be saved, especially since its such a spread out ride.

Log Flume can and will die.
Excalibur will end up on the fair circuit
The Rack will hopefully die, and probably will
Whirlwind wil end up on the fair circuit
Knightmare, unless bought by LWV, will unfortunately probably die. (Shame, one of my top ten coasters )
Balloons will probably find a park or fair
Childrens rides will go to a park somewhere in the world or fair or scrap
Capers will have no trouble finding a park or fair either

Actually, when you think of rides at camelot there isn't many at all, you know.