What's new

California's Great America | Patriot | Vortex Conversion

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
https://www.cagreatamerica.com/what-s-n ... nouncement

Today California’s Great America announced that for the 2017 season, it will introduce Patriot, the first floorless coaster in the park’s 41-year history. Patriot will emerge from the soon to be retired Vortex coaster, the oldest stand up roller coaster in the United States. Season Passes for the 2017 season also go on sale today at the lowest price of the season, offering unlimited admission for the rest of 2016 and all of 2017.

Patriot will take riders to a 91-foot height before plummeting them into a 360-degree loop at 45 miles per hour. Patriot’s position in the park makes it a dynamic visual from three different sections of Great America.

The inspiration for the coaster’s name was taken from the fact that the ride is nestled adjacent to All American Corners within a park whose name celebrates America.

The transition from a stand up to floorless ride will include state-of-the-art blue and white trains positioning guests with their feet dangling above the blue and white track.

“With the track visible beneath their fee, Patriot will create unique and exciting new perspectives throughout the ride,” said California’s Great America Vice President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg.

Guests can take their “Last Stand” on Vortex through September 5. Then work will begin to ready Patriot for the 2017 season

ga_patriot-render1_header.jpg

ga_patriot-render2_header.jpg

Hutch

Strata Poster
That's good. The layout doesn't look all that inspiring but tbh it'll still probably become one of the better rides at the park.

Snoo

The Legend
For those curious, POV of Vortex:

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa0x_Uu1OOs[/youtubevid]

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
They need to now to do it to the one at Carowinds, and Six Flags should take note and do it with Apocalypse.

That trio of turds are BY FAR the worst B&M coasters.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Nice move! Those blue trains look rather good and it's great to see another one of these happening.

Hopefully the conversion will involve actually giving it a proper station with a roof and everything!

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
First, I want to start this post of by saying that it's entirely possible that I may be reading to deep into this, but...

Has anyone else noticed the marketing similarities to Rougarou? The park's first floorless coaster? Almost implying that they plan on installing more than one?

Like how Cedar Point installed Valravn a year after Rougarou? And Valravn was a floorless dive coaster?

Okay, yeah. I'm reading way too deep into this. A dive would be the next logical step for the park though IMO. They're giant, imposing, and downright frightening- qualities none of the coasters at the park have. The park needs an apex predator, a boss, if you will. And in a park that's tight on space and looking to make a big splash in the NorCal market, a dive seems like the way to go.

That area where Whitewater Falls and Xtreme Skyflyer are seems to be begging for one too.

Edward M

Strata Poster
CarolinaRider said:
First, I want to start this post of by saying that it's entirely possible that I may be reading to deep into this, but...

Has anyone else noticed the marketing similarities to Rougarou? The park's first floorless coaster? Almost implying that they plan on installing more than one?

Like how Cedar Point installed Valravn a year after Rougarou? And Valravn was a floorless dive coaster?

Okay, yeah. I'm reading way too deep into this. A dive would be the next logical step for the park though IMO. They're giant, imposing, and downright frightening- qualities none of the coasters at the park have. The park needs an apex predator, a boss, if you will. And in a park that's tight on space and looking to make a big splash in the NorCal market, a dive seems like the way to go.

That area where Whitewater Falls and Xtreme Skyflyer are seems to be begging for one too.

It's an interesting thing to point out, but California's Great America will probably never get an investment as big as that, especially not after one that just happened. Cedar Fair has only given them one new coaster (a GCI) for their nearly 10 years of owning it. I don't think CA's GA brings in enough people to justify such a big investment. I think that this is their next coaster investment for the next 3 or so years. After that, idk what it could be, but I could see a Hyper or Giga before a Dive machine. Let's just hope Iron Grizzly is their next investment after this.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Could actually see a fun little coaster come out of this! Not ridden this one, however, I have ridden the one at Caro, which we don't talk about. But if CGA Vortex needs the Rougarou treatment as badly as Caro Vortex needs it, this is a good move.

Edward M

Strata Poster
CarolinaRider said:
*Ahem* http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/view ... &view=next

They are certainly looking to expand over the next ten years. :--D

I see! I'm happy to be wrong on that one. A Dive Machine would be a good choice and be the only one in the Western US. However, California's first Giga coaster would really help the park out and would sound great in commercials and on billboards. Perhaps that is a bit of a dream, but one might have thought that about Carowinds in 2013. I'll say it again though, Iron Grizzly... One can hope right :wink: .

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
this is fine.

I rode vortex last year and it was just fine too. No real head banging smooth. I've personally never had an issue with B&M stand up's restraints.

Still it's a cheap conversion and easily marketable as something new so good on them i guess.

Gazza

Giga Poster
The only reason they are saying ”its the first in the Park" is because they can't say its the first in Northern California

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I actually really like the B&M Standups.
But on the plus side, because this is now a floorless I now have the complete collection in my count :)