Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Theme Parks

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Brookes, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Brookes

Brookes Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    Coaster Count:
    Next year I'm going to California and we are going for 2 weeks and I just want to make sure I'm not going to miss out on anything by where I'm choosing to go. I'm only allowed to go so many and this is pretty much the maximum as family want to see sights etc. The plan at the moment is to go to San Francisco for 4 days and LA for 10. So I have chosen:

From San Francisco:

California's Great America
    Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

From LA:

Disneyland Park
    Disneyland's California Adventure
    Knott's Berry Farm
    Six Flags Magic Mountain (2 days)

I don't want to go any small parks as family need to enjoy aswell. But is there any other parks that people think would be really worth considering?

2. Nemesis Inferno

Nemesis Inferno Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis
    Best Park:
    Efteling
    Coaster Count:
    You won't be missing much if you do Great America...

Knott's is an alright park, the atmosphere in Ghost Town is good but everywhere else is dodgy, but it has Xcelerator and Silver Bullet, which I think are rather under-rated rides...

Disney is Disney, but considering the mess California Adventure is going to be, may not be the best time to go...

Magic Mountain is a park of two halves for me, although that was in 2007 before X got redone, so it's not apparently good, but it was meh last time...
    Also MM has Goliath and the Helix of Death, which is awesome...

3. UC

UC Well-Known Member

Disneyland is a classic, and someplace everyone interested in theme parks should go. You can make a strong case that Disneyland revolutionized the way parks are looked at by the public, and set a new standard.

While you're there, it would seem a bit ridiculous to miss out on Cali Adventure, but be aware it's not one of their better parks overall.

Knott's isn't bad, but it does lack in atmosphere and while some prefer their coaster selection, I personally was not overly impressed.

SFMM is an enigma - it really depends on what kind of rides you like. I personally was not overly impressed, again. X (as it was when I rode) was kind of funky, but beyond that, I didn't find the park too impressive. Goliath's helix is fun, but not the best of its kind (Titan at SFOT), and the park has a significant lack of airtime. However, with the sheer volume of rides, you're sure to find a few that you like, and my tastes tend to be pickier than most when it comes to determining my favorites.

I've not been to the others, so I'll withhold from commenting further.

4. Snoo

Snoo Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    They moved Titan?

5. UC

UC Well-Known Member

Damn the proximity of those keys :p.

Thanks though, edited.

6. CreditCrazy

CreditCrazy Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    BGW
    Coaster Count:
    You have the main parks there. If you wanted to go to another park, I would suggest Sea World or Universal, but imo they aren't "must visit" parks.

I've been to all of the parks listed multiple times and can give any other advice, just ask!

7. divvie_dave

divvie_dave Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    El Toro
    Best Park:
    USF
    ^ I disagree, Universal is a must!

I think the back lot tour alone, for a tourist, its worth it. And water world...

8. Snoo

Snoo Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    <3

My opinion on the matter.. if you hit SFMM on a light day on that one day.. roll to L.A. to enjoy the site seeing tour. Not always in L.A. ;)

As far as everything else.. I agree. If you're just looking for coasters, do work.

9. Brookes

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    Coaster Count:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Credit Crazy thanks, that's what I needed to know that I am doing the main parks.

I'm not that bothered about Sea World and Universal. Done both in Florida and Sea World in California doesn't seem to have anything which is really drawing me there. I know people say the Mummy is better that Florida's but it seems a bit of a way to go for that one ride.

Snoo we will have like another 4/5 days in LA aswell as the theme parks to do sight seeing, and there's no point in just going to get credits when on a holiday with family, as I'm not that bothered to be honest. Just want to do main parks.

Thanks everyone!

10. marc

marc Well-Known Member

Coaster Count:
    Try and get to Universal as well.

Yes there are no big coasters there but its a good park that the family will enjoy, I thought it was much better than the one in Orlando.

But next year a lot of the mess at California Adventure should be cleared up so you might be ok. I personally enjoyed half the park, the Paradise Pier part but hated the studio part. The main park is the best as far as I am concerned so many rides that are in no other park.

I hated Knotts, the rides lack and the park is just run down and has no atmosphere at all. We got round the park in 3 hours.

I liked Magic Mountain, you will need a whole day there maybe 2 to fully enjoy it.

11. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Try using the 'Park Finder' from www.coastercounter.com for information on how far the parks are from each other and how many coasters they have. It is VERY useful when planning a trip :--D.

12. Nemesis Inferno

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis
    Best Park:
    Efteling
    Coaster Count:
    Who says that? Hollywood's Mummy is rubbish in comparison to Florida...

Universal is worth going for the staircase challenge alone :lol: God that was bloody tiring I tell you...

13. marc

marc Well-Known Member

Coaster Count:
    Hollywoods Mummy is not as good as Orlando's it just leaves you wanting more. I think its better themed but to short.

Jarrasic Park is better though.

14. Brookes

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    Coaster Count:
    Ok I might consider Universal but it doesn't really appeal too much to me. And yes Ali thanks I do use that, but I wanted to get people personal experiences on parks and not necessarily just the coasters.

15. Nemesis Inferno

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis
    Best Park:
    Efteling
    Coaster Count:
    Universal is only a half day park, there's not much to keep you in, but of course it is right in Hollywood, which is the epitome of tourist trap :lol:

marc, I didn't see much difference from the Jurrasic's bar the car (which didn't work), and whilst Mummy has a better backwards section (i.e. longer) it doesn't have fire and the fake station... Also the launch is miles better in Florida, both endings could be incredibly better... As well as the dark ride portion of Hollywood's, as it was effectively 2 seconds :lol:

16. marc

marc Well-Known Member

Coaster Count:
    Yes I agree about the Mummy, the fire room etc which I was expecting etc which is what I meant by left wanting more.

We spent all day at Universal the studio tour was really good back then, this was before it burnt down. We done all the shows etc, and we had the fast pass thing. Mind you we did the backstage Terminator show which meant we had to wait around for it.

Jurrasic Park the car part and all the extra bits like more animals I thought made it better, plus we actually got wet on it.

17. Ben

Ben Best SM Team Member 2016 CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Get.

A.

Gold.

Q-Bot.

At.

Six.

Flags.

That way, you only need one day, freeing a day for Universal :p Plus, I think, one day at SFMM with a Q-Bot would be better than two!

18. Nemesis Inferno

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis
    Best Park:
    Efteling
    Coaster Count:
    We also did the fass-pass dealie, but we were never told about the special backstage extras... Ah well...

Jurassic Park was indeed wet, but I don't mind getting wet in such countries where you spend only 30-60 minutes drying out, so I didn't mind that much...

I still think Universal is a half day park, especially if you get the fast-passes, and with good timing for all the shows (only show we didn't do was Terminator) but we were still finished by just after midday or sommat, can't remember fully...

19. marc

marc Well-Known Member

Coaster Count:
    Here is an update on Disney for you so you can see what will and will not be open.

I would personally delay the trip for a year or 2 for Cars Land, but I know if it is a family holiday it is not always possible.

http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/dateli ... -more.html

20. Brookes

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    Coaster Count:
    ^Thanks for that marc. I don't think any of the major attractions will be closed when I go so I should be ok, and I'm not that really bothered about Cars land, and no-one in my family will be either. Plus, I don't think we can put it off as mum and dad are set on going next year, as they most want to see sights etc.

Thanks for the link!