What's new

California October 2015

peep

CF Legend
Wednesday 14th

We got up at a fairly decent time, checked out of our lovely Hollywood hotel and then drove back down to Anaheim for Knotts Berry Farm. I was quite looking forward to this park and I'm glad it was a quiet day, I think it was busy our day may have gone quite differently. It should also be noted that no matter how we looked at it when originally planning this trip we weren't able to do the Scary Farm event. Anywho, I'm getting distracted here. Despite having an online thingy the queue for the 3 ticket booths where we had to exchange them were crazy slow and had long queues despite having about 5 people in each line *rolls eyes*. A slightly frustrating start then, but we were soon on our way in and running around inside the park.

Ghostrider was obviously spiting, was surprised to see new bits of wood going down for the track already...

We decided to head to the back of the park where Iron Reef was. This meant going through the old West area which is incredible. For a start there was an old guy who was playing a banjo...

We grabbed a quick snack for breakfast. We admired this awesome fountain...

It was then time to walk straight on Voyage to the Iron Reef. If you haven't heard what this is yet, it is a Triotech shooty dark ride which has a cool underwater/steampunk theme. I'm going to start with a negative - the cars. Just, what were they thinking??? Basically you sit down and then the whole of the front section of the car has to be manually pushed towards you to lock you in, meaning that everyone thinks they have loads of leg room/bag space and then all of a sudden, like a galactic waste disposal room the front is coming towards you and you begin to run out of space! Very poor design all round.

However the ride itself totally blew my expectations out of the water. I should admit that they were quite low because Cedar Fair making a modern dark ride is a new thing. Unless you spend ages hearing the spiel in the queueline the story basically makes no sense but everything looks quite nice. I also didn't quite understand why vehicles had to go around in pairs (not like capacity was great anyway due to that whole manual car closure thing) - sometimes this meant you felt a bit too late into the action (if you are in the second car), I dunno, it's weird. There's also plenty of dead sections between screens which was annoying.

Good things then? It's very good fun, and more importantly, it's re-ridable. There was a fantastic moment too where you're looking at one screen then this creature thing swims rapidly towards you and then "past" you on to another screen which is behind you, it was simple but worked wonders. We all genuinely enjoyed it and looked forward to getting on again - but there were creds to get!

We headed along to the rest of the coast themed area. It looked like it had recently gone through a re-theme, was this due to Iron Reef? Either way, it looked quite nice with it's bright colours and caught the look of seaside attractions really well. Feel like that is somewhat a backhanded compliment though as most of those attractions are quite ugly and grubby.

Still, there were creds everywhere. We chose to get coast rider out of the way first. It was meh, it also seemed to grind along the track which was weird. +1

It was then on to the suitably named Boomerang, Boomerang. It was ok but the restraints managed to dig into my shoulders making for a fairly unpleasant ride.

It was then on to Xcelerator which was quite brilliant. Then again I think Stealth is quite good (strong launch, plenty of airtime on that little hill) and this was just an extended version, good times.

We then queued up for the log flume which was apparently where all the people were hiding. The ride was fun but all that effort on the internal scenes seemed pointless as you just go past them so quickly. Just like Splash Mountain we got drenched on the internal drop. After that we found the main drop to be quite pathetic, a shame.

We then went on the little mine train ride. This also had quite a queue. It was an unusual attraction, rather interesting though considering its age.

We then went to watch Mystery Lodge which I'd seen Gavin reference like 20 times due to all the similar shows opening in China lately. It was a cool show, the final effect is pulled off extremely well.

Never did go insider this haunt museum

We then walked on to Pony Express which has a good launch and then pretty much turns around and then back into the station. Lame.

As it was next to it we then went on the rapids which were pretty good. Just nowhere near the high standard set by the one at California Adventure a week beforehand.

We then went for some food. With no prior knowledge about what is meant to be good etc we ended up in this amazing little restaurant called Ghost Town Grill. All the waitresses were old ladies and they were fab, it reminded me of Silver Dollar City and Dollywood and all their fab staff. The food was pretty epic too and was reasonable.

Fact map was fab

A burger the size of Patrick's face

There was an actual blacksmith doing his thing. Yet another thing that reminded me of SDC/DW.

The Ghost town area was just so awesome. The fact map claimed a lot of the buildings are originals that the original owner transported to the site.

It was then time to continue to the cred hunt. First up was Jaguar, the stupidly long Tivoli. It does gain some decent speed at times but overall it's not that exciting. Station theming was fab though.

It was then time for Montezooma's Revenge, a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop coaster. I've ridden a few of these now and they never fail to amaze me. The forces through the loop is just insane and the kick from the launch is just brilliant.

It was then back round to Sierra Sidewinder (not sure why we walked past it before Jaguar). We got some amazing spinning action and it's quite a fun layout.

It was then time for Silver Bullet. This was brilliant, the zero g was fantastic, it was intense and that final helix was insane. Yeah, we needed to do that again and luckily no one was in the queue so we just stayed on <3 Twice was enough in a row though, it's just too intense to keep re-riding.

We kept seeing Boysenberry mentioned on all the food menus, this sign really cleared things up. However they were under Silver Bullet which seemed like an unusual location to grow berries. Oh and fun fact, they also sold ice slush drinks with Boysenberry flavour, they're obsessed with the stuff.

We then decided to take it down a notch so we grabbed some water and waited for the stagecoach to arrive for a random little tour of half the park. We were sat on the top at the back, it was slightly terrifying. It also offered some unique views of some parts of the park.

How many creds can you see?

Wasn't sure what this construction site was for, think it's for an expansion of the Ghost town?

We then decided to have another go on Voyage to the Iron Reef. Still enjoyed it despite it's flaws. Oh and one section the calibration on the guns completely went mental, that was annoying. We then decided to have a go on the dodgems.

We then did the Surfside gliders which was fun.

We then grabbed an ice drink to help cool down and sat down for the Wild West stunt show. The humour/script was aimed at the little ones which made it quite hard to watch (it was just a bit too silly). There were some nice moments in there but overall I didn't enjoy it.

We then ran around and got another ride in on Silver Bullet which was still excellent. I attempted to get on the little kiddy cred but I was just a bit too tall to get on. Drat.

Love day of the dead theming

Patrick and I then had two goes on Montezooma's Revenge. We had the whole train to ourselves which was fab. It's just soooo good.

The park was now closing and just before we leave Patrick realised he's left his camera somewhere. We try to trace back our steps to try and work out where he'd left it. While Patrick waited patiently in guest services we went to check out the drink stand we had visited just before the wild west show. Turns out it was there but they sent it to guest services. Yay. We then spent what felt like bloody eternity waiting for some senior member of staff to come along to open the safe with a special key to hand back his camera. However the lady that came to help was miserable and just the worst. She came in like it was some horrible chore, faffed around with another issue someone was having and then finally opened the safe and instead of finishing off by handing it back to Patrick she just left it on the side and left without even telling one of the other lovely staff members. The lady we initially dealt with finally realised and gave the manager lady a dirty look like a proper "wtf are you doing?". Couldn't believe how rude that lady was, acting all important and you know what she went back to doing? Standing outside not doing anything. Urgh. #endrant

We then did a bit of tat shopping but there was barely anything ride related which was sad. There was a cool old map on one of the walls though...

We then got back into the car and made our way to our next (and also our last) hotel. The Castle Inn & Suites near Disneyland. This was mainly due to cost of hotels more than anything, we weirdly found anything outside Anaheim to be crazy money in comparison. Oh well, it meant that we could take a wander into Downtown Disney and check out Trader Sams at the Disneyland hotel.

Trader Sams is an epic Tiki-bar with epic theming everywhere you look. We decided to grab some cocktails and some food. It didn't take long before someone ordered one of the special cocktails which starts off some sort of event. For example one sets off a Volcanic eruption (projection stuff through a fake window), one sets off a storm which is lighting effects and staff spraying water into the air. It's generally great fun and the staff are amazing. The food was also pretty darn good. Have some poor photos...

Yay, I got a shrunken head souvenir cup. It contained ALL of the rum

Really glad we went in here. Patrick and I were a little concerned before going in because it's tiny and if we didn't get a table it would have just been awkward. So we were very happy when a table became free shortly after we arrived. Highly recommend checking out, even if it's for a few minutes to check out the effects. I'd love to see something like this come to Paris.

We then went back to the hotel and got a proper good nights rest before another long day.

I really liked Knotts, it's not perfect but it has a great selection of attractions with some really stand out ones (looking at you Silver Bullet). I think some areas look rather sad compared to others but it'll be interesting to see how the park changes over the next 5 or so years. I think we all just enjoyed ourselves though and that's the main thing. Had it been busy I'd have totally been telling a different tale me thinks.

Thanks for reading! Only 2 more days to go!

peep

CF Legend
Thursday 15th

We decided to take it fairly easy in the morning and have a bit of a rest, we also did some more additional shopping in Downtown Disney. Finally making our way back over to Universal Studios for an early lunch at Hard Rock Cafe (we got discount with our Horror Night passes - yay). We got to park in Jurassic Parking which made us happy in the face.

After a decent meal we headed into the park. Gates were already being set up for the evening event, I was getting pretty excited - my first American Horror Nights event.

We started our time in the park with a ride on the Mummy. This time we pretty much walked on but the ending wasn't as great (less smoke), still enjoyed it though.

We then decided to queue for Jurassic Park. It was either 25 minutes or, like we did, single rider in about 5. We all ended up on the same boat too which amused us. We ended up waiting at the top of the drop for a few minutes which was weird. Somehow we didn't get as wet as we did on the Tuesday but we still loved it.

We then walked straight on Transformers. Love it, even the staff were proper getting into character too and were acting like army drill sergeants which really added to the loading procedure. They were drumming on the bins and yelling at people to load as quickly as possible, it was efficient and really added an atmosphere to the station area.

We then headed back to the top to watch Waterworld because it's fab. The cast weren't as good on this day but we still loved it. On our way over to the show we got some drinks at Moe's. I got a flaming Moe which was all of the stupid money, it bubbling up in my face was an odd experience.

JUST HOW DO THEY DO IT!!!!!

We then popped out of the park to meet Lord Morton (a.k.a. Dave) who just happened to book up Horror Nights the same night as us! Excellent stuff. We headed in and transferred our e-tickets for the special front of line passes (that cost ALL of the monies). We headed straight down to the lower lot where we had some time to kill before the mazes started to open up. We did Mummy and then Transformers.

It was then time to queue up for our first maze of the day, The Walking Dead: Wolves not far. I'm not a fan of TWD (think it's dull) so I wasn't sure what to expect from this, especially as it was still light out, would it really be dark enough inside? It was pretty good, had some fantastic jump scares and some of the sets were brilliant. A fair amount of this one was more creepy rather than scary though? I also assume that fans would have more of a connection with what's actually happening. Still, I enjoyed it so it was a good way to start the event.

We then queued up a whole 20 minutes for the Insidious maze. None of us had seen a single film from this franchise which amused us. However I think it all surprised us because it was actually good, full of great scares. One of my notes is "room of many peeps" and I can't remember what I meant by that - lol.

We then queued up for the This is the End 3D maze. This was surprisingly cool, the 3D glasses effect was trippy as hell but also meant that a lot of the time actors could blend into the scenery and so when they moved you weren't sure if someone was actually there or not. Geez, that place was a wonderful headache. There's some awesome monsters in there and some cool effects. Oh and the woman playing Emma Watson looked so much like her, she also got scary close to us with a knife.

Michael Cera impaled animatronic <3

We then jumped on one of the trams to the actual back lot where two of the mazes are placed. What we didn't know was that there was a Purge section as soon as you got off the tram. It was amazing, using their real street sets and covering the place in smoke made it all quite an intimidating experience. People were just leaping out of all the places.

The first maze we did in this area was Crimson Peak. It's a shame the film was such a flop but seeing as the film wasn't out yet when we were at this event it was weird going in. The set design inside was absolutely amazing, potentially the best one on that front. I don't think the scares were as good though, mainly because it was brighter than most so I kept seeing the scares happening with the group in front. However there was an amazing character who blended into the wallpaper, simple effect that just worked really well.

We then queued up to enter a real sound stage for Aliens Vs Predator. That in itself was cool. The maze was massive, it had quite a few large open sections. It also starts off really slow with you entering a crashed spaceship, it looked amazing. Then the jump scares start to happen and there were so many amazing moments. Like the actors on the walls with the aliens jumping out of their stomachs and the corridors with Alien on one side and Predator on the other and having both of them just lunging at you at the same time while a strobe goes off (made me jump every single time even though I knew what was about to happen). Oh and seeing the giant mother alien was amazing.

We then got the tram back to the lower lot before heading up the escalators of forever for the upper lot. We grabbed a Krusty burger before going in to see the Jabbawockeez show. All I knew of this show was that they were on Americas Got Talent and were good enough to get a show in Vegas. The audience went absolutely mental for them but we were not entertained in the slightest. We were just not the target audience for this, but even so I could rip it a new one in terms of reviewing from a general stand point - it was just a tedious mess of rubbish. Don't get me wrong, some times dance acts can be good, but this just wasn't a good show. It also made no sense as to why it was on during Horror Nights. However, during that performance, we were very clearly in the minority so maybe Universal do know what they're doing?

We then skipped the hour plus queue for Halloween with our passes. This was absolutely incredible. The sets were yet again amazing, the jump scares were frequent and spot on and that finale was bloomin' terrifying.

We then headed over to the Terror Tram via one of the scare zones, which just looked awesome, despite not being scary.

So the Tram also had a crazy queue which we skipped with the passes. I love the set up of this, basically it's Purge night and a bunch of crazies have set up for you to go to a "party" which is actually just a large play area for them to chase you down and kill you. From the announcer woman before the tram telling everyone to have a lovely time and to enjoy the games set up to the terrifying alarm sound from the films it's just an excellent set up. Just as we arrive there's like a barrier of evil peeps just waiting for us to get off. We all slowly approach, there's a weird quiet moment and then they just went mental, running through the crowd etc and we all start going off past Whoville (amusingly), up through Bates Motel which was full of people flying from all angles and that and then up a massive hill to the Bates House. On the way up the hill there are sound effects of people screaming, running off etc and a sort of check point area with lots of cages and close encounters. Very nicely set up considering it's such a large open area. We were able to queue to get a picture of the Bates house with Norman which was awesome...

11232941_10156221917910223_1702282940820820547_o.jpg

Photo credit: Patrick

The next part of the Purge was through the plane crash site location which, yet again, had lots of things going on the whole time.

Shortly after it was back on to another tram and back to the park. It was excellent fun, not scary in the slightest but it was just fun and I take much amusement out of those that are easily scared and that happened a lot. We actually headed back down to the lower lot to do the rides and re-do the mazes we'd already been through. First up was Jurassic Park which was epic in the dark. We then got stuck at the top for ages which was kinda amazing as they were blasting out Guns and Roses' "Welcome to the Jungle" while strobes were going off. It looked like the dinos were having a good time, I called them the disco dinos.

We then planned to "just walk straight on" the Mummy. This failed miserably due to many breakdowns (we assume). No idea how long it took us in the end but we weren't happy about the situation. We then walked straight into the Insidious maze. This was fab, still really enjoyed this maze.

We also walked straight back into (now using the pass) the rest of the mazes. Each one still being great fun.

My favourite maze was AVP and Halloween, they were both too good that I can't choose. All of the others were great though and I can now see why these events are so highly recommended.

Before leaving we also made sure we walked through each of the scare zones. The Corpz one is WWI zombie themed which is nicely decorated. The Dark Christmas one is Krampus themed (defo some similarities with some of the creatures in the new film - fingers crossed Orlando gets a Krampus maze next year!) and the Exterminatorz is like giant bug creature things trying to exterminate humans. They all looked cool but as previously mentioned, scare-wise they do nothing for me. Maybe when I'm occasionally trying to take a pic or admire the scenery I turn around and there's something next to me which makes me jump a bit, but nothing major.

So we left the park, said goodnight to Lord Morton and then headed back to the hotel. We managed to get through everything really quickly (despite that Mummy queue woe) which was nice and really added to our enjoyment throughout the event. I'm glad we looked up goon-based advice otherwise we would have totally ruined it for ourselves. I enjoy the Universal parks but this one is totally lacking in the attractions department, not sure Potter will help out to the extent that it needs to but it's also going to make the park proper busy, like, all of the time. That'll be unpleasant. Anyway, we had fun and it was great to see Morton again.

Final day up next....

peep

CF Legend
Friday 15th

This day was pencilled down as a second day to mop up any other creds at Magic Mountain which we didn't need to do in the end (though I was still making a case for some re-rides in the evening). This meant that we didn't have a lot of major things planned and it all ended up getting a bit silly. We started our day late and we headed straight over to a very overcast Santa Monica. We parked up and grabbed some breakfast before grabbing the cred on the pier. The whole place felt quite run down and a bit drab, but maybe it would have looked better if the sky was blue?

Before we got on the ride some weird guys who had just got off were pleading to the staff to let them go round again. They were proper chatting them up and everything. It was quite amusing but also just plain weird. We finally went round though and it was actually kinda enjoyable (my expectations were super low). There were some nice little pops of airtime in there. After our ride we walked to the end of the pier and checked out a few of the tat shops.

We finally got out of the place and ended up going to check out the Walt Disney Studios. You can't get in so it was simply a case of walking around the entire studio (which took forever) and getting a few rubbish pics of the water tower.

We then jumped back into the car and went in search of a Cheesecake factory. We found one in this quite nice shopping area place.

I always love the interiors of Cheesecake factories, they're ridiculous - just like the menu. It's huge, as are the portions.

After gorging ourselves on too much food we headed into Hollywood for a spot of shopping and a film. One of our trip aims was to see a film in one of the 'big' theatres but the film choices were rubbish so we ended up seeing the Black Cauldron at the El Capitan theatre. The interior was something else, very unique. I nearly had tears of joy when we went inside the auditorium and there was an actual organist playing famous film music. He was amazing, I could have sat and listening to the guy play for hours - unfortunately they had to play the film instead. Booo.

Decked out for Halloween

After the film (which, if you don't know/haven't seen my review in the film topic, is utter trash) we headed downstairs where they had some props out. They had miniatures from The Nightmare Before Christmas as well as costumes from Hocus Pocus which was super cool.

We then spent a fair amount of time in some shops before going back to the hotel and trying to figure out how to get all our stuff into our suitcases.

Saturday 16th

The original plan was to try and squeeze in two last creds over at Adventure City as it was on our way to the airport and would have taken us like 10 minutes to get both creds. However I was outvoted and we ended up just spending forever at the airport instead.

Our flight went by quite nicely, I mainly spent it watching the rest of iZombie (which is great). And that was the end of our very epic two week trip to California. Had an absolute blast, loved seeing the forest and San Francisco. Sad that Hollywood turned out to be as pants as people said it was. Really liked the parks though, hopefully I'll get to return to Magic Mountain some day.

Thank you for reading through my ramblings and here's to next year and more crazy trips all over the place!

davidm

Strata Poster
You eventually got around to the highlight of your holidays; a few hours of my company! ;-)

Didn't realise that you had spent so much time in USH (didn't twig that you'd been in the park on the Thursday-day as well) - seems that was at least 1.5 days too much there!

peep

CF Legend
Haha. Yeah, definitely. It was nice that we were able to re-ride things and see waterworld more than once but on reflection we should have just stuck with the Thursday.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

S

SimonSays99

Planing for a May 2017 California trip right now. This TR wets my appetite for it... :--D