What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Pantheon | Intamin LSM Coaster | 2022

bernatc22

Mega Poster
Damn, it looks even bugger than I anticipated from ground height. This is gonna be a monster.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Press preview was yesterday- few interesting facts:

- track work will be finished within next few days
-aiming to have trains cycling though the ride within the next month
- 3300ft track length
- 15(!!!!) Airtime hills ?

Oh dear, first guy said a capacity of 1800rph second guy said a despatch interval of 80 seconds with 20 riders per train... That’s a max theoretical capacity of 900rph... Does BGW get busy?

Edit: nevermind, he said 800 ???

bernatc22

Mega Poster
Oh dear, first guy said a capacity of 1800rph second guy said a despatch interval of 80 seconds with 20 riders per train... That’s a max theoretical capacity of 900rph... Does BGW get busy?

Edit: nevermind, he said 800
I got worried about this info, too. Two twenty rider trains, minute and a half dispatch... Yikes. This thing better work flawlessly 100% of the time without breaking down or it might be a capacity nightmare

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
It helps that the swing launch is on an airtime hill so that's probably counted for 3 of those hills

Even counting that hill 3 times, counting the tophat twice, and counting the backwards spike as an “airtime hill”, I count 11, maybe 12 if they count the turn out of the outward banked hill as an airtime hill..

Doublethink

Roller Poster
Even counting that hill 3 times, counting the tophat twice, and counting the backwards spike as an “airtime hill”, I count 11, maybe 12 if they count the turn out of the outward banked hill as an airtime hill..

Can't tell the full lot yet but there are quite a few small bumps that went in the original plans they are probably counting as airtime hills. But certainly they are counting the 3 on the launch, the overbank, the top hat and probably the stall as well towards that number

bob_3_

Giga Poster
They also said in typical american style marketing talk that this is a "unique experience like nothing in the world". And I know it's a great combination of elements, but everything here has been tried and tested on various coasters. The 15 air-time moments is just them bigging it up with white lies.

Matt N

CF Legend
My estimations of this thing go up every time I see a construction update! I know everyone's hyped for Iron Gwazi, but I could genuinely see this being the consensus favourite ride of 2020! It just offers so much within its layout, and I genuinely think it could be right up there with Helix, Taron and Maverick as one of the world's finest multi-launch coasters!

Doublethink

Roller Poster
My estimations of this thing go up every time I see a construction update! I know everyone's hyped for Iron Gwazi, but I could genuinely see this being the consensus favourite ride of 2020! It just offers so much within its layout, and I genuinely think it could be right up there with Helix, Taron and Maverick as one of the world's finest multi-launch coasters!
Honestly I think this has the makings to be a world no 1. For me Matt. The more I hear about this ride the better it gets. So say 5 seconds of floater airtime on the spike rollback and imagining you will get similar on the rollback from the top hat too.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Here are some videos from the construction tour, including talks from several crew and a general construction update by ACE Mid-Atlantic:-

Just the track at the base of the top hat on the launch side left to complete the circuit!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Not really sure about a ride that deliberately ups the ‘thrills’ by potentially killing you if there is a malfunction....

You could say that about any coaster of course but this one effectively teases you with a potential crash? Hmm.

I’m sure it’s safe, I’m just saying that it doesn’t really have much appeal.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
There are are certainly redundant safety mechanisms, fail-safes, and huge safety factors on a system like this. Remember, this isn't a Lego set - engineers have to consider a wealth of different safety constraints in general, but they must be extra diligent when humans are involved.

Doublethink

Roller Poster
Not really sure about a ride that deliberately ups the ‘thrills’ by potentially killing you if there is a malfunction....

You could say that about any coaster of course but this one effectively teases you with a potential crash? Hmm.

I’m sure it’s safe, I’m just saying that it doesn’t really have much appeal.
This is a bit melodramatic! Both the LSMs on the launch track and the redundant break fins should individually be able to arrest the momentum of the train in the event the switch track fails. As I have said before these safey systems have been on use on Intamin Accelerators like Dragster for years

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
This is a bit melodramatic! Both the LSMs on the launch track and the redundant break fins should individually be able to arrest the momentum of the train in the event the switch track fails. As I have said before these safey systems have been on use on Intamin Accelerators like Dragster for years
Yes, but Top Thrill Dragster is using those when the mechanism fails to get the cars over the hill. They are intended to go over the hill. Here, the equivalent of ‘not going over the hill’ is the ‘switch track failing’. I suppose you can say the same is true with all break runs but I’m not turned on by the whole ‘switch track whilst the ride is in motion’.

I’m not put off, but I’m not attracted to it.

Clearly there is supposed to be a thrill from the switch trick but I’d rather the coaster just went round the track than bother with that.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, but Top Thrill Dragster is using those when the mechanism fails to get the cars over the hill. They are intended to go over the hill. Here, the equivalent of ‘not going over the hill’ is the ‘switch track failing’. I suppose you can say the same is true with all break runs but I’m not turned on by the whole ‘switch track whilst the ride is in motion’.
The system is set up so it "fails to safe". That is, in a fail state, the train will be stopped automatically. Essentially, the brakes on the launch track are always active, and they have to be continuously suppressed during normal operation. If you cut the power, the brake fins spring up and slow the train to a near-stop as it passes over them. The train physically can't reach the track switch if the switch isn't in the right position, because in that situation there wouldn't be enough power to prevent the brakes from engaging.

You could say the same thing about Expedition Everest, which also has a track switch engaging behind the train. There, too, it's not possible to set the train in motion without the switch being in the correct position. The difference here is that the train is not at rest when the system activates, but if anything goes wrong with the switch, there's an ample amount of brakes engaged to stop the train long before it could possibly get close to derailing.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
The system is set up so it "fails to safe". That is, in a fail state, the train will be stopped automatically. Essentially, the brakes on the launch track are always active, and they have to be continuously suppressed during normal operation. If you cut the power, the brake fins spring up and slow the train to a near-stop as it passes over them. The train physically can't reach the track switch if the switch isn't in the right position, because in that situation there wouldn't be enough power to prevent the brakes from engaging.

You could say the same thing about Expedition Everest, which also has a track switch engaging behind the train. There, too, it's not possible to set the train in motion without the switch being in the correct position. The difference here is that the train is not at rest when the system activates, but if anything goes wrong with the switch, there's an ample amount of brakes engaged to stop the train long before it could possibly get close to derailing.
You’re not wrong ?

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
"ride safety mechanisim that could kill you"
Wait, WHAT?
Perhaps I am mistaken but I assume you’re attributing that mis-quote to me - if so, that’s not what I said.

I don’t think anyone has made any comment to infer that the safety mechanisms themselves are dangerous.