What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Pantheon | Intamin LSM Coaster | 2022

Intricks

Strata Poster
Busch Gardens have submitted plans for the construction of an attraction at 315ft tall. If approved, they have 36 months to begin construction if the attraction or the permit is revoked.

Some stipulations for this is the paint job over 60ft must be muted in color, no lights after 60ft, and any light pointing upwards must be directed at a veritcal wall (so not the ride itself?).

Source is http://www.vagazette.com/news/vanew...building-a-new-attraction-20170802-story.html

Since the permit/waiver would be allowed to be held for 3 years, could this potentially be a coaster? The only other style attraction I can see this being would be either an Observation Tower styled attraction, or a wind-seeker styled attraction for the park - both of which the park lacks, but somwhat has thanks to Mach Tower.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I don't want to say it out loud for the fear of anticipointment, but we could seriously be looking at a Giga coaster here. The park has filed permits to test soils (to be performed by the same company that did soil tests for Tempesto and InvadR, I should add) on both sides of the river, suggesting whatever this is could cross the river. I will CRY if there ends up being 3 giga coasters within 5 hours of each other.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Is there any part of the park lower than the rest? Cause its mentioned in the article that the testing balloon was about as visible as Mach Tower, Apollo and Griffon outside the park.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^^ Already have Mach Tower, no need for a 2nd drop tower.

^ It could or could not be. All thats been stated, from the article, is that it will be 315ft tall and once approved they have 3yrs to begin construction.

Wont lie, I do hope it is a coaster rather than a flat, but it more than likely will end up being a wind-seeker style ride.

peep

CF Legend
There was mention on the reddit thread that there have also been soil samples from both sides of the river? That seems to suggest they're going to build something that crosses it (only visited once but I assume that would be similar to Apollo's chariot?).

I'm going to wait for more solid info to come out before getting excited about that park adding something ridiculously big.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Whelp....based off of a news report this morning from one of their local news station - its a coaster that will be voted upon next week. Granted this is the first instance of any news outlet from the area claiming it to be one (the rest have all just stated attraction).

Ive also realized this is going near the Italy/Spain area, and how close it would potentially be to Apollos Chariot.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
They mean the local governance (Locals as well?) will vote on allowing the permits for the attraction at all rather than something like the name.
Really looking forwards to this if it does go ahead.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
My guess is that it's going to be a starflyer. They're all the rage now and it would be taller than KD's, plus if Blackstone's financial situation is as bad as it sounds they simply couldn't afford one.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^ Thats everyones consensus, but lets face it - there has been some out-in-left-field announcements in the past that stay in the back of everyones mind. The fact that soil testing has been stated to have happened on both sides of the river points to something spanning said river; however, it IS Busch Gardens Williamsburg and I dont suspect much in regards to a coaster being built (regardless of what I would prefer/hope to see).

That being said, they have been focussing on more of those type of attractions recently, and regardless of their financial situation, they could still build a costly investment that would have a major return towards the park financially. The GP are easily swayed, and even the miniscule 10ft height difference between whatever this is and I305 (or comparitive height difference between similar attractions at both parks) would still be an amazing marketing point to help push season pass sales, as well as tickets, the season it opens.

Plus Ive been reading around and everybody seems to be stating the same thing: Low hopes for coaster with high expectations of a Starfyler. Although many have pointed out that lack of a lighting package would make it kind of odd.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
If they didn't already have MACH TOWER I'd agree... but since they already have a drop tower...

Tell that to Gröna Lund. Having a bajillion tower rides already doesn't deter them from building a dozen or two more each season.

Intricks

Strata Poster
While it doesnt, it does help the argument of "This park already have one, but built more of the same type of ride". Tbf, and these examples are off the top of my head:

- Cedar Point built Power Tower while still running Demon Drop
- Dorney took Demon Drop after they already had a triple tower set-up
- Hershey literally just opened up 3 drop towers of different height this season.

Its still uncommon for a park to do the same type of flat, but it isnt outright unheard of so long as each ride can be marketed as either being for a different demographic (Hershey) or offer a different ride experience (Grona Lund, Dorney, CP).

Swoosh

Mega Poster
While it doesnt, it does help the argument of "This park already have one, but built more of the same type of ride". Tbf, and these examples are off the top of my head:

- Cedar Point built Power Tower while still running Demon Drop
- Dorney took Demon Drop after they already had a triple tower set-up
- Hershey literally just opened up 3 drop towers of different height this season.

Its still uncommon for a park to do the same type of flat, but it isnt outright unheard of so long as each ride can be marketed as either being for a different demographic (Hershey) or offer a different ride experience (Grona Lund, Dorney, CP).

The issue with your argument (and examples) is that there was a "twist" - they offered spaceshots which are not drop rides. Also Dorney only has 2 S&S tower rides. The third leg is empty. HP basically opened a 3 legged S&S tower ride but chose to put them in a row instead of a cluster.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
It's approved! http://wydaily.com/2017/08/08/busch...county-approves-315-foot-tall-attraction-biz/

James City County’s Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Tuesday to approve a height limit waiver and allow Busch Gardens to construct a new 315-foot-tall attraction. Other than its name, “Madrid,” few details about the attraction have been publicly released.

“This [new attraction] they’re putting in place could potentially have people coming from all over the world,” said County Administrator Bryan Hill. “I’m a happy guy. Busch Gardens continues to invest and people continue to come. That’s what tourism development is all about.”

The recipe of drawing in crowds by investing in new rides is one Busch Gardens — and its parent company SeaWorld Entertainment Inc.– are wagering on.

Busch Garden’s most recent request to James City County for a height waiver permit for the 315 foot tall attraction comes as the company looks to improve its existing business to bring visitors back to the park.

In a recent corporate earnings call, Busch Gardens’ parent company said it’s doubling down on building more attractions for less money.

“We have to grow attendance and grow revenue,” Joel Manby, CEO of SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. said in the call. “But minimizing a loss is just as important in cash flow as maximizing a gain.”

Documents given to investors on Tuesday show SeaWorld is looking to spend more than $100 million across all of its parks on new attractions, events and experiences.

Busch Gardens and Water Country USA will both be “going beyond standard theme and water parks with unique, never before seen experiences,” according to the documents.

“In 2016, we began implementing our plan to stabilize our business and drive sustainable growth,” Manby said. “As a reminder, our strategic plan encompasses five key points: one, reposition the SeaWorld brand from animal entertainment to Experiences that Matter.”

The pivot away from “animal entertainment” is telling. The company faced international criticism after after the 2013 documentary “Blackfish” detailed perceived stresses faced by orca whales at SeaWorld. After the release of “Blackfish,” the company saw fewer visitors and fewer revenues to many of its parks.

SeaWorld’s stock price has halved since its initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange, April 19, 2013.

On Tuesday, the stock price fell briefly to its lowest level ever at $11.10 per share, according to Zacks, an online investment researcher. According to a report from The Street, the corporation could face a credit downgrade.

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. spokeswoman Aimee Jeansonne Becka said the corporation would “rely on the comments made on the investor call.” Busch Gardens spokesman Ron Vample was unavailable to comment by time of publication.

In the wake of significant losses, the company has focused on investing in attractions to boost its bottom line and make shareholders happy, according to a Bloomberg report.

Busch Gardens’ new wooden roller coaster InvadR is just one of SeaWorld’s seven major investments across four of its parks, according to documents given to investors. The coaster opened April 7.

The park also has two other attractions in the works, including the 315-foot-tall “Madrid” attraction and a virtual reality ride set to come out in 2018.

“We’re very proud of the good work we do here in James City County,” Busch Gardens Park President David Cromwell said at Tuesday’s Board of Supervisors meeting. “We’re excited about the future and our demonstration of continued investment in our park.”

The fact that the article says this attraction could bring visitors from around the world is very interesting. I'd like to say this rules out the Star Flyer, due to its size compared to other versions out there. I don't want to jump on the giga coaster bandwagon just yet, but it's certainly looking more and more like it'll be one.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The fact that the article says this attraction could bring visitors from around the world is very interesting.
That just sounds like marketing speak to me. It's not like they're going to say "This ride should bring in a handful more visitors from the Williamsburg township", are they? ;)

I mean, that's not to say it won't be something world class, but I don't see that as any sort of confirmation.

It'll probably just turn out to be an observation tower! Whilst I'd love a new giga, I'm keeping low expectations for now.

Having said that, 315 is a little taller than 305, so they may be doing it to give the finger to King's Dominion and claim tallest coaster in Virginia!

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It'll probably just turn out to be an observation tower! Whilst I'd love a new giga, I'm keeping low expectations for now.

Having said that, 315 is a little taller than 305, so they may be doing it to give the finger to King's Dominion and claim tallest coaster in Virginia!

It won't be a giga. SeaWorld won't have the money to spend.