What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Pantheon | Intamin LSM Coaster | 2022

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So can someone tell me why the airtime launch is covered in retractable brake fins rather than LSMs?
My hazardous guess is that it's because the fins alone wouldn't be strong enough to slow the train down should something fail at the switch. Yes LSMs provide braking 'for free', but they might not provide enough braking force for the emergency situation.

Open to alternative theories though!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
My hazardous guess is that it's because the fins alone wouldn't be strong enough to slow the train down should something fail at the switch. Yes LSMs provide braking 'for free', but they might not provide enough braking force for the emergency situation.

Open to alternative theories though!
I noticed Turbo Track at FW has a similar setup, even though that is a different type of ride. It's almost two seperate launch sections separated by some brake fins:-

Video by davidjellis.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'd prioritize stopping over going in all modes of transportation - if you need to stop, you better be able to ****ing stop.
Exactly right. Even Electric Vehicles, which conduct a vast majority of their braking via the electric motor (which too is an LSM), still require an old fashioned-friction braking pad to stop for the very final slowing of the vehicle or in an emergency when more braking force is needed. In the interest of safety, Intamin wants to use all braking force possible to bring the train to a stand still. (This notion also carries over to final brake runs that use a combination of magnetic and friction braking - magnetic braking is efficient, but friction braking via brake and tire is most failsafe way of holding a train in place when needed)

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Woah, is Taron still the fastest double launch coaster? :eek:
I mean. What does the record of a multi-launch coaster mean when there are faster coasters with a single launch (which makes it even more spectacular)
There would be a difference between magnetic and non-magnetic, but still then none of the above mentioned coasters hold any record.

Ethan

Strata Poster
An... Interesting choice for a paint job, not really sure I love it tbh. It reminds me a little of Dragon Khan's trains, but these will look a lot better I reckon.

Because people outside of enthusiast circles don't even know that there are even roller coasters in Asia, let alone Soaring with Dragon. Marketing can get away with it because they can.
Surely there must be something, legally, that states you can't use straight-up lies when advertising a product?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Also Soaring with Dragon only has one launch - it may be a Swing launch - but by Intamin's definition it is not a multi launch coaster. Hence why Taron holds the current Fastest Multi Launch Coaster record (117km/h) and Pantheon's 117,5km/h will beat it.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
The video doesn't give me permission to watch, but I googled the video link and found a YouTube video, which I believe is the same.

Looks amazing, to say the least. I'm glad there's a second little speed bump in the second launch section (besides the main airtime hill) and the speed bump into the turn before the stall is a nice touch.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It is an outdated video, however I'm pretty sure it is official. Looks exactly the same as the one in the promo videos.

Anyone else notice the music in the video is the same music from the official Parc Astérix 2021 animation?

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Would there be any way of getting to Pantheon for a disabled guest?
I would suggest this won't (can't?) be the only way in and out of the Pantheon area. You'd struggle to get one route of egress from a large occupied area like this through UK regulations, and from my fleeting experience the same sort of rules apply in the USA too.

I expect there to be a secondary way in or out, which may provide better a better accessible route.

I don't recall seeing an overall site plan with all of the path connections etc shown clearly - but I might have missed it. Is there one?