• grand

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Following President Chriac's comments about bland, British food, I couldn't help but agree.

Fish and Chips, steak & kidney pie, roast beef and yorkshire pudding, pie and mash, haggis,...need I go on?

Personally I'd rather have something with a lot of taste and an explosion of flavours, like an Indian* or Thai.

What do you think? Is British food bland or grand? (No sitting on the fence!)

* Indian food, like Chicken Tika Mousala is not a British food, it's an adopted food from the Indians.

Sam

Giga Poster
Better than American food. :p

Agreed we don't have too much variety in our so called traditional foods- they are all pretty basic. But then many of the people in the UK turn their noses up at so called 'fine' foods. I guess our children are brought up eating junk that is cheap and easy to prepare and so consider all food like that and don't see why they should change their eating habbits later in life.

So in a word, yes, our food is bland.

But then again, folk in India or China (places where we consider their cuisine as exotic and grand) they might be thinking we eat exciting food thats fantastically different and better than their national food.

JonSev

Roller Poster
Oooh, I love fish and chips, even though (in American terms) its pretty much fish sticks and french fries...or at least the ones Ive tasted. :roll:
And there is not that much "American" food, because most American food is taken from other countries.
Im not voting because I havent eaten that much British food.

A

Anonymous

We cant make food well and they cant fight a war no better than my arse - a trade of that I'm willing to accept.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'd like to stick up for British food, but I just can't. When I make food, it's always something foreign (usually Chinese or Mexican).

I don't enjoy cooking British food, and I'm not fussed about eating a lot of it...

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
you can't beat a good ol' english brekie! or a roast dinner. Whereas the french eat snails and frog legs! I mean why???? American food, sorry to say is junk! Mexican, nice and spicy, love it! Just gotta love us brits! Go us!

A

Anonymous

If there wasnt ketchup I wouldn't eat british food. I love foreign dishes, even if its only as far as germany....I agree with what he said about bland food, but somebody inform me of some tasty french food? carribean,oriental and indian food rock!

A

Anonymous

Oh yeah, there plenty of tasty french food: Frogs, Horse burgers and snails - and I though Mcdonalds served crap in a bun - but cheval???

Sam

Giga Poster
I guess its all down to personal choice but i'd rather eat french food than greasy chicken strips or whatever the hell they're called- probably containing about as much chicken as the Mc Veggie burger.

A

Anonymous

Both. I see english food as being tasty and no nonsense, sure a roast beef isn't as spicy as a mexican or a curry. But then we don't need to disguise the bad meat by using these spices. Currying meat with a strong spice is just ruining meat. As for french food, it's all garlic, onions and smelly runny cheese, give me some well matured cheddar any day.

The germans only eat sausages and cabbage, but then it's not known as a culinary haven. Unlike Italy, which has some very good cuisine, but an over reliance on pasta and pizza, think of your local italian restaurant, the menu is divided into three sections, pasta, pizza and "other" which is an international menu with italian cheese grated on top.

The US. They might be good at driving inefficient cars and fighting even more inefficient wars, but there is nothing inefficient about corporate food production, which means everything is full of salt, fat and chemicals, hmmmm E-numbers.

Notice how Britain has led the way with organic food, go to you local farmers market, you'd be surprised just how good food can taste when it hasn't been decontstructed, reshaped, decomposed, reprocessed, dehydrated, rehydrated, deheated (it's a word!) and reheated. There is nothing wrong with English food when it's well cooked, we just have a shameful lack of good chefs.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
UK food isn't exactly interesting, but it's still worth eating sometimes. Can't beat a full-cooked breakfast sometimes, beautifully greasy!

Although I do like my indian, chinese, mexican and Italian food, so i'm interracial when it comes to food.

A

Anonymous

I do hope you are aware that the curry was indeed not an "invention" of the Indians, it was first noted to have been used when the British Empire had armed forces in the country over a hundred years ago - they had to get rubbish meat to thre troops - and what better way than hiding the crappiness with spices?

The locals had the same problem and picked up on the idea of using them on bad meat, and it spread, thats the first documented use of the currying technique with food :)

kir

Hyper Poster
I find British food crap. Sunday roast has to be the most boring meal on the face of this planet. I guess a mix of my parentage means that I rarely have British food, and when I do, I moan at my Mum for making it. I mostly eat Caribbean/South American style foods around my Dad's side of the family, which is totally delicious.

Ben

CF Legend
There is not one part of a Sunday Dinner I like ughh... worst meal on the face of the planet. Haggis can be summed up in one word..... YUCK!

Yeah, I hate most British food, except Fish and Chips. I'm a sucker for the American foods, burgers and hot dogs... *drools*. Also Mexican food rocks... mmmm.... Tacos, Fajitas and Nachos.

mrclam

Giga Poster
What are you lot complaining about? British food is great!

Last night i ate a lovely duck with noodles and the other week i had a delicious curry, and lets not forget pizza!

All of which were bought just down my road.. in britain.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You guys invented Fish N' Chips, so definately Grand!!!

mrclam

Giga Poster
samX said:
Yes, we invented fish.

Chips are originally french aren't they?

Nope... not really

Very brief history of fish and chips.. im sure you can find better info on a website somewhere..

Pre war - Southeners/londoners used to eat lots of battered fish

Northeners used to eat lots of chips.

(might be the other way around).

During war they needed chip meal to feed people with and they joined the two meals together.