What's new

Boaty McBoatface

Sandman

Giga Poster
So, as many of you have probably heard, the NERC has trusted the internet to come up with a name for its new £200 million ship. Leading the poll so far is 'Boaty McBoatface' by quite some stretch. Yet again, the internet proves itself an invaluable asset to those burgeoning questions :p

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...search-vessel-after-public-vote-a6942551.html

If you want to participate in the vote the URL is below (although it has been so busy that it hasn't worked the past few hours).

http://nameourship.nerc.ac.uk/

TilenB

Strata Poster
From the article:
“We would like the name to be inspirational and about environmental and polar science, to help us tell everyone about the amazing work the ship does.”

I think the name is perfect in that regard. ;)

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
**** killjoys, I know its silly but it does have a funny side and why bother asking people to name it if your just going to overrule it! There's always going to be more boats that can have a 'proper' name.

Dave

CF Legend
cjbrandy said:
**** killjoys, I know its silly but it does have a funny side and why bother asking people to name it if your just going to overrule it! There's always going to be more boats that can have a 'proper' name.

Because it's a unforseen part of the process, and you cannot name a ship like that a name like Boaty McBoatface. I'm not being a killjoy I had a great laugh at it all, but knew it wasn't going to win.

Best thing to do is name one of the launch boats Boaty McBoatface as that's a boat, not a ship.

At least the Royal Navy don't do this! But there are some brilliant ones in the past like HMS Cockburn

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Dave said:
Best thing to do is name one of the launch boats Boaty McBoatface as that's a boat, not a ship.

A compromise has been reached. I here by name the Ship RSS Shippy McShipface.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's so daft it makes me smile.

But yeah, it'll probably be named after some scientist nobody has heard of, and nobody will give a toss. How many people would read about RSS Boaty McBoatface's discoveries and adventures compared to RSS Dr Audrey Dullname. Then they'll wonder why nobody is interested.

mouse

Giga Poster
The name that came second in the poll was Poppy-Mai, which is the name of a 16 month old girl with incurable cancer. I would definitely respect the NERC's decision if they were to go with that instead of Boaty McBoatface, it has a nice sentiment and good intent. In 4th place was the name 'It's bloody cold out here', and David Attenborough made 5th.

It would be funny if they stuck to their word and did go for Boaty McBoatface, its their own fault for trusting the internet to come up with a respectable name. However I would also be happy to see the boat named Poppy-Mai. The NERC have got themselves into a bit of a pickle, if they ignore the poll there will be a backlash, and there may also be a backlash if they choose McBoatface over the name of a young girl with cancer.

Dar

Hyper Poster
mouse said:
The name that came second in the poll was Poppy-Mai, which is the name of a 16 month old girl with incurable cancer. I would definitely respect the NERC's decision if they were to go with that instead of Boaty McBoatface, it has a nice sentiment and good intent. In 4th place was the name 'It's bloody cold out here', and David Attenborough made 5th.

It would be funny if they stuck to their word and did go for Boaty McBoatface, its their own fault for trusting the internet to come up with a respectable name. However I would also be happy to see the boat named Poppy-Mai. The NERC have got themselves into a bit of a pickle, if they ignore the poll there will be a backlash, and there may also be a backlash if they choose McBoatface over the name of a young girl with cancer.

I don't get that, at all. Lots of people have cancer, why is this particular person special?

Either go with McBoatface or don't, but don't pick and choose based on some sob story

mouse

Giga Poster
Oh I would definitely prefer Boaty McBoatface, I just mean I wouldn't mind the other name because it has a nice enough sentiment and meaning.

Also, just because lots of kids have cancer doesn't mean one of them can't be rewarded every now and then...

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Mouse has a point, I want Boaty McBoatface too but Poppy Mai would be a lovely tribute and still refreshingly different from an explorer/scientist name that could be used on the next boat after or something.

They can overrule democracy and choose an explorer if they want- but they better not have the **** cheek to complain that "no one is interested in science" if they do!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Wow, I didn't think they could **** up the names any more than choosing the cancer girl or Boatface. Wow, genuinely surprised.