What's new

Best UK internet/tv/phone package

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I need to get internet sorted at home.

I also need some kind of cable/satellite telly. I have Freeview (council tv) and whenever a large lorry rolls past the Bell Tower, the aerial wobbles briefly distorting the image. It's annoying.

I'm edging towards Virgin as they seem to be cheaper than Sky and I'm not bothered about sport or film channels.

However, I often read on my Twitter timeline people bitching off about Virgin's service which makes me think twice.

I'm not expecting anybody to research prices and **** for me but I am interested in hearing what people think of their service.

I may be dumb, but I'm assuming that it's not possible to get an internet/tv package without a phone line? I don't need a home phone and if I could avoid paying £13 a month line rental, that would be a bonus.

kimahri

CF Legend
I think we're on Virgin Phone and internets, seem fine for me except on the day of the SOPA protests where msn went funny briefly but that was probably microsoft's part since their main site, MSN Site and hotmail were all down.

We're also on Sky tv, have been for years, I like it :3. The god channels are so good! I really reccomend it for them.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Unless they've changed drastically, the Virgin phone line is compulsory.

We've been on Virgin since they first offered Broadband and I don't have a major issue with them. I have in the past, but generally, day in-day out the service works fine.

It's one of those that when it's working it's fine. When it isn't, it really doesn't work and can be a pain to get it fixed.

You'll find this with pretty much any broadband provider.

We have Claranet/BT provide three ADSL (broadband) lines for us at work. They're higher grade lines than consumer ones and we've had two sites that took almost six months to get working properly. Days and days of downtime and a nightmare of liaising between the people who provide the actual service and BT.

The problem is that the line from your property to the exchange is owned by BT. The equipment that connects in your house and in the exchange belongs to whoever you pay. If you're with Sky say and have an issue you call Sky. They will check the equipment, but will often pass the issue onto BT as a line issue. Then BT will test it and say "nothing wrong, we can send an engineer out for £100 to make sure though". So you go back to Sky who try rebooting modems and stuff and maybe send you out a new router or something. The problem is that you can get caught between the two. Often broadband providers use BT as a convenient scapegoat (which is what we've had).

However, on our other site the service has been spot on for five years and just the odd "reboot the router" issue. We also had BT provided broadband at a satellite office in Burnham and that was fine for two years, with Wifi without a single blip. Brilliant service.

My folks have Talk Talk and have had a nightmare with them. The call centres and support are dreadful and I eventually fixed their issue by dismantling the BT installed phone points and sorting out a bad connection. In that case it wasn't really anyone's fault, but you learn about piss-poor service.

the-inlaws-of_furie had Sky broadband and TV and have recently moved to Virgin. They get more for less and the broadband works. Before, the broadband provided by Sky was abysmal, but I know that a lot of Stafford struggles because BT provided broadband is poor. They're putting in BT Infinity now which will help though.

So, that tells you what? That sometimes they're good and sometimes they're bad. No help at all :lol:

I think you'll find you see more people complaining about Virgin simply because by default, Virgin are a bigger collective. If 100 people on here have broadband, probably 50% have Virgin and 50% have ADSL of some form (broadband over a BT owned line). The difference is that of the ADSL people, 5 may use BT, 10 Sky, 5 Talk Talk, 10 Zen, 10 those Hull communication pillocks and 10 Orange. So if Sky Broadband goes down, you hear about it less. It's simple economies of scale.

There are sites available that show you what the average broadband speed is in your area and through which providers. Sometimes they have ratings too for uptime, quality, etc. It's worth finding two or three of these sites and getting a feel for what your area is like and then making a decision based on that.

For TV, there's very little difference. The Virgin Tivo box is excellent and I think better than the Sky+ HD box, but Sky tend to offer slightly better services over their network and they employ local agents to do installs; so you tend to get a much more professional service and support than with Virgin. With Sky, it always used to be that after a year you owned the box though, so if it blew up you had to pay to replace it. With Virgin it's a permanent rental.

Does that cover it? :lol:

marc

CF Legend
Am with virgin and not had many problems.

You don't need their phone line you can have bt but you get a better deal if you take the phone Internet and tv.

Gangster4Life

Mega Poster
I have both Sky and Virgin at my house. I've got Virgin Media which I subscribe to in my room, cool) & Sky Digital which my mum & sister-in-law watch, but don't subscribe to.

With Virgin the broadband is rubbish, half the time I can't get the speed I pay for. (10mbs) Sometimes it feels like dial up. For this month I've not been able to go on line, and I've had to get my brother to ring 'em.

With Virgin all I pay for is internet & tv. Don't need phone. cool)

Ben

CF Legend
Talk Talk is AWFUL, don't do it.

I've recently got Sky broadband cause they did the cheapest install and it's line-rental only for the first six months at the minute.

It's been really quite good. So, yeah, I'd say they're a good option at least.

peep

CF Legend
We're with Virgin for the full, broadband, TV, phone package. It's actually a very good service. However like Furie has mentioned, when it messes up it feels very frustrating. Their customer helpline is usually a bit retarded but generally if your complaint is noted it usually gets sorted quickly.

For a couple of months last year we had major cut outs with our internet after midnight until like 5/6am. It's usually when we're asleep so it wasn't a massive deal but someone at work told me last night they had the same issue and we reckon it's just due to their massive upgrade to the network (everyone's speed is getting doubled for free this year).

Virgin clearly have the quickest internet around, I don't care what BT say, they're lying. Then again it also depends on your area and when it was last upgraded.

We find our TV service is pretty good, love being able to record everything and also watch iPlayer and that without having to sit and watch it on my laptop.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Sky have been spot on with us, TV package is brilliat, connection speed is solid and they're usually quick to resolve any issues.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Only Virgin Media can come close to their claimed broadband speeds due to the cabled service. If you'll notice on all others (Sky/BT/TalkTalk e.t.c) they claim speeds of UPTO Xmb.

For the faster speeds these claim you need to make sure you're in a LLU activated area, go to the following link and search your exchange to see what companys have LLU activated on your nearest exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

It is rare in this day to be not in an LLU area however for non-LLU, if you go to the following link http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_mapping single click on your road and enter your house number and postcode it will give you an estimate of what you can expect from ADSL (mine is ~7.5mbps). You can click on the speed estimate to show you the providers.

Anyway from my experience, Virgin Medias tv service is awful... but their broadband is impeccable. Sky TV service is the best and they are pioneers in everything however you pay for the service. Skys basic package is £20p/m with sky+ recording facilities, or £25p/m for everything but sports, movies and HD.

Lain

Giga Poster
Thanks for that Pierre! That site tells me my ADSL speed is ~2mbps, so does that mean I'm never going to get better speeds than that unless I'm on Virgin?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm, I'm torn. Now the next problem is seeing if the landlord is happy for Virgin/Sky to drill through the wall. Looks like there's a satellite bracket on the outside so shouldn't be a problem.

Tempted to go for Sky for the 6 months free line rental. Ben, how long is the conract for? 18 months?

Cheers for all that LLU crap, Pierre <3

Pierre

Strata Poster
Lain said:
Thanks for that Pierre! That site tells me my ADSL speed is ~2mbps, so does that mean I'm never going to get better speeds than that unless I'm on Virgin?

Only if you're NOT in an LLU area. There used to be somewhere on there that could measure your speed for LLU activated areas too but I can't seem to find it.

I forgot to add I worked for TalkTalk for three months and they are a horrendous cowboy company.

Ben

CF Legend
Ian said:
Tempted to go for Sky for the 6 months free line rental. Ben, how long is the conract for? 18 months?

12 months the offer states!

(that's not at all the first time I checked that. I read everything I sign...)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've decided to go with Sky.

Ok, so it's £4 a month more than Virgin but...
a) it's only a year long contract.
b) having used a Virgin remote and EPG interface on Sunday, I found it disgusting (Sky wins hands down there).
c) The landlord said the old tenants had Sky so it was his preference to reduce the number of holes in the wall.
d) There is very little difference between Virgin and Sky broadband speeds in my area.
e) £75 M&S recommend a friend voucher? Yes please! That's £6odd a month, so effectively it's costing less than Virgin.

I thought you'd all be thrilled to know about my decision and I thank you for your assistance.

Can't wait to get internet at home, just in time for the park season to open up <3

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
We're with Virgin internet, BT phone and we don't have fancy pointless TV crap.

We seem to have far fewer internet problems than others. It isn't perfect, though.

We can't get non cable internet in my house. Lols. No one seems to know why but they all blame BT for it. Every other provider we tried were like of course it'll work! ..Then when it doesn't goes, oh, erm... yeah it's, the erm... Thingy.

Sky were the worst. Terrible customer service, internet never worked for more than a few mins, phone line was atrocious. So yeah have fun with that. But again, they seem to think it's something to do with the cables into my house.

Sky actually told us that their internet package was only designed for one machine. Yeah, like, what? whats the point of having wireless, if it's only usable on one machine at a time?

**** Sky.

Ben

CF Legend
Ian said:
e) £75 M&S recommend a friend voucher? Yes please! That's £6odd a month, so effectively it's costing less than Virgin.

Totes think I recommended you.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ben said:
Ian said:

Totes think I recommended you.
Hahah, I had three offers. I ended up taking the one from a mate at work who offered to buy me a pub lunch yesterday. If you could have beaten that, Ben....