What's new

Rank the B&M Hyper coasters

Matt N

CF Legend
Not quite? They do know how to make a mean airtime machine with high G's when it comes to airtime as evidenced by Fury. They tried but failed with Raging Bull is what I'm saying due to the trims killing all momentum. They just succeeded with Fury, which I think would have been just as good if it was a Hyper instead of Giga.
Ah OK, I get you. Thanks for the clarification!

Snoo

The Legend
We always complain it's trimmed, but why is it actually trimmed ? Park's requirement ?

Possibly both B&M and park. The riders may have complained it was too intense and B&M may have borked the design a bit. Not sure on the specifics however as that was a hot minute ago.

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a thread like this or if this is in the wrong forum, but a look through the best B&M hypers thread inspired me to make a thread ranking all of the hyper coasters! If we're sticking with the traditional definition of a hyper coaster, then my ranking would go something like this:
  1. Mako (SeaWorld Orlando) - A simply phenomenal coaster. Brilliant first drop, mind blowingly amazing airtime, smooth as glass, great sense of speed, good forces; Mako has everything I love in a coaster and more! Still my number 1 coaster out of 56 ridden!
  2. Big One (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) - While I liked the first drop, I wasn't a huge fan of the rest of the ride, if I'm being honest. There's virtually no airtime and the ride is extremely rough, in my opinion! Although I do feel bad criticising the Big One, in a way, as the ride is one of the older hypers and wasn't really designed for airtime.
However, if we're doing anything between 200 and 300 feet, my ranking would look something like this:
  1. Mako (SeaWorld Orlando) - A simply phenomenal coaster. Brilliant first drop, mind blowingly amazing airtime, smooth as glass, great sense of speed, good forces; Mako has everything I love in a coaster and more! Still my number 1 coaster out of 56 ridden!
  2. SheiKra (Busch Gardens Tampa) - What an amazing coaster! Lovely and smooth with some good forces, a brilliant first drop, and it's lovely and smooth too! The whole ride blends together so nicely to make something wonderful, in my opinion!
  3. Stealth (Thorpe Park) - Although this ride is short, it packs a punch! That 80mph launch is amazing and unlike anything else I've ever experienced!
  4. Big One (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) - While I liked the first drop, I wasn't a huge fan of the rest of the ride, if I'm being honest. There's virtually no airtime and the ride is extremely rough, in my opinion! Although I do feel bad criticising the Big One, in a way, as the ride is one of the older hypers and wasn't really designed for airtime.
So, what are you guys' favourite hypers? If we're going by anything between 200 and 300 feet, then I can sense that a certain RMC in Ohio will top quite a few lists...

Snoo

The Legend
Fury 325 would be my favorite B&M Hyper, followed by Goliath at SFoG, Behemoth at CW, and Leviathan at CW.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Anything between 200ft & 300ft eh? Here comes a motley crew then:

1. Flying Aces
2. DC Rivals Hypercoaster
3. Eejanaika
4. Flash
5. Schwur des Kärnan
6. Coaster Through the Clouds
7. Dinoconda
8. Silver Star
9. Fujiyama
10. Shambhala
11. Thunder Dolphin
12. Draken
13. Diving Coaster
14. Stealth & Zaturn
15. Big One
16. Turbo Track

Edward M

Strata Poster
  1. Steel Vengeance
  2. Skyrush
  3. Superman SFNE
  4. Shambhala
  5. Goliath, SFOG
  6. Mako
  7. Nitro
  8. Xcelerator
  9. Magnum-XL 200
  10. Titan
  11. Diamondback
  12. Goliath SFMM
  13. Thunder Dolphin
  14. SheiKra
  15. Stealth
  16. Mamba
  17. Intimidator
  18. Valravn

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
1. Steel Vengeance - but only because Fury doesn't count - #2
2. Mako - Amazing ride with some beautiful Flojector - #7
3. Apollo's Chariot - Amazing ride the 2nd half is the best of any b&m hyper intense ejector, albeit a tiny rattle but still perfect -#8
4. Skyrush - Intensity all the way through, probably the 2nd strongest airtime on this list but the restraints kill it a bit. - #11
5. Diamondback - The seating arrangement is really nice if you get the single seats and while this ride is only floater it gives a really nice night ride. - #19
6. Goliath - This one is very unique and good! It has some nice ejector pops, gives a strong finale, but it has a bit of a rattle so it ranks a bit lower for me. - #21
7. Nitro - Really nice ride but some of the hills are a bit weaker, and its got a bit of a rattle, but still an awesome ride, that helix is intense. - #24
8. Intimidator - This is only good in the front, and for that it is one of the weakest b&m hypers, the trims suck, and it's short as *DEMONETIZED* - #34
9. Superman the Ride - really good ride could probably be number 4 or 5 but the restraints kill it so hard! - #37
10. Griffon - Fun ride - best dive coaster out there - # 43
11. Sheikra - Fun ride - 2nd half is boring - #53
12. Valravn - Restraints ruin another ride - #58
-------------------------------------x---------------------------------------x------------------------------
Drop in quality
13. Raging Bull
14 Steel Force

Matt N

CF Legend
What is that if its not anything between 200 and 300 feet?
What I meant by "traditional definition" was a ride focused primarily on airtime hills and a ride that has that very distinctive hypercoaster style, if you get what I mean. Sorry about that; I should have made myself more clear.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Steel Vengeance has inversions so it doesn't satisfy the traditional hypercoaster definition.

Following that would be Superman: the Ride...or Bizarro...or Superman: Ride of Steel...what are they calling it now? Hell of a good ride. It packs a ton of ejector air and some good positive forces into an out and back first half followed by a twister section second half. I absolutely love how unrefined it is as well - it has some funky transitions and design quirks.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I'm just gonna go with traditional hypers. Most of the list would be traditional hypers anyway so it'd be a bit silly to have Stealth or a dive machine thrown in there.

1. Skyrush - Been a while (gonna be four years since I've ridden it), but it was an incredible experience. I've gushed about this in the past so there's no need to say much more.
2. Mako - It has the best airtime out of all the B&Ms but also some really fun banking transitions as well. Beautiful ride.
3. Nitro - Didn't try anything other than back row and it was excellent. Great airtime, great helix. Also been a while since I've done this, I'll have to see if it holds up to the recent stuff.
4. Goliath SFOG - First drop isn't as impressive but it has a fantastic layout (no MCBR!). Would easily be above Nitro if this didn't have a rattle.
5. Diamondback - Arguably better airtime than Nitro/Goliath but this also had a slight rattle and a couple trims. Still a lovely ride and the woods and splashdown make a great setting.
6. Superman: The Ride - It's slipped down a bit over the years but it's still really good. Some very strong airtime and positives. Restraints suck, but it's no deal breaker.
7. Intimidator - Smoother than others on here and has great airtime but the layout is weak. Give me more airtime hills in the second half and then we'll start talking.
8. Apollo's Chariot - My first B&M hyper, REALLY need to ride this again, been over 5 years. Hard to compare it to more recent stuff, I hope it can redeem itself.
9. Magnum XL-200 - Unless I'm forgetting anything I think this is last. It's the only one I don't like but I'd like to give it another shot. This thing kicked my ass multiple times.

TilenB

Strata Poster
After checking my spreadsheet, these 8 coasters are the only ones I've done and are between 200 and 300 feet in height;
1. Flying Aces, Ferrari World
2. Shambhala, PortAventura Park (tallest full circuit coaster I've done)
3. Silver Star, Europa Park
4. Goliath, SFMM
5. Stealth, Thorpe Park
6. Turbo Track, Ferrari World
7. SheiKra, Busch Gardens Tampa
8. Big One, Blackpool Pleasure Beach

It's a bit of a burden rating those that I've only done once or twice years ago (like Sheikra, Goliath or Big One), since I can't remember that much of them by now, so I just go by my old ranks from way back then.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here are all 20 roller coasters I have ridden that either stand 200-299 ft. tall or have a 200 ft. drop (Thanks Magnum for that qualifier :p). The numerical rankings you see here are how they fit within my overall ranking. A few top hits, but lots of consolidation between the 50-90 rankings, especially for "older" generation Hypers.

1 Steel Vengeance Cedar Point
5 X2 Six Flags Magic Mountain
7 Skyrush Hersheypark
20 Diamondback Kings Island
27 Magnum XL-200 Cedar Point
34 Griffon Busch Gardens Williamsburg
35 Valravn Cedar Point
37 Apollo's Chariot Busch Gardens Williamsburg
44 Intimidator Carowinds
50 Xcelerator Knott’s Berry Farm
55 Wicked Twister Cedar Point
62 Phantom’s Revenge Kennywood
70 Superman - Ride of Steel Six Flags America
71 Mamba Worlds of Fun
77 Titan Six Flags Over Texas
81 Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast Six Flags St. Louis
83 Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast Six Flags Over Texas
86 Goliath Six Flags Magic Mountain
97 Steel Force Dorney Park
168 Son of Beast Kings Island

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Here are all 20 roller coasters I have ridden that either stand 200-299 ft. tall or have a 200 ft. drop (Thanks Magnum for that qualifier :p). The numerical rankings you see here are how they fit within my overall ranking. A few top hits, but lots of consolidation between the 50-90 rankings, especially for "older" generation Hypers.

1 Steel Vengeance Cedar Point
5 X2 Six Flags Magic Mountain
7 Skyrush Hersheypark
20 Diamondback Kings Island
27 Magnum XL-200 Cedar Point
34 Griffon Busch Gardens Williamsburg
35 Valravn Cedar Point
37 Apollo's Chariot Busch Gardens Williamsburg
44 Intimidator Carowinds
50 Xcelerator Knott’s Berry Farm
55 Wicked Twister Cedar Point
62 Phantom’s Revenge Kennywood