• Superman SFGAdv

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superman SFGam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nadroJ

CF Legend
I've never made a secret about how much I really do not enjoy flyers. I hate hangtime, I find the restraints uncomfortable, my hair always ends up in my face so I can't see anything and I find something very undignified about the riding position. So I was pretty blown away by Crystal Wing at Happy Valley Beijing when I came off wanting to go straight around again. Maybe it had something to do with the fabulous theming, but it was completely unlike any other B&M flyer I'd ridden previously (in that it was actually fun!)

So, tell me, what's your favourite B&M flyer - and while you're at it what are your thoughts on them as a coaster type in general?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Tatsu, all the way. Awesome ride.
To be fair I've only ridden 3 - Air and Superman (GAdv) being the other 2 - so my experience is limited. But yeah, I like 'em. I get what you're saying about the riding position and the hangtime thing, it's not the perfect riding experience that's for sure, but in a large park that already has a good selection of more conventional coasters, I think a flyer can be a great addition to the line up.
Got another Superman clone coming up this season, which is ok, but I'm really looking forward to getting some of the more exciting layouts under my belt someday.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Disclaimer: Air/Galactica is the only B&M flyer I've had the opportunity to ride so far.

That said, Starry Sky Ripper looks amazing. I really liked the layout of the Vekoma Flying Dutchman at Six Flags America, and remember coming away thinking that the B&M train design and smoothness, combined with a layout along the lines of the Flying Dutchman would be amazing. Several years later, B&M finally seemed to take a leaf out of the Vekoma playbook and made it happen.

Several of the other flyers look decent, mainly the ones with unique layouts, but Starry Sky Ripper almost looks like somebody had me in mind when they designed the layout.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Tatsu spited me, so Manta is my favorite. However, I'd say that Starry Sky Ripper and Flying Dinosaur look the best. I'd give it to Starry Sky Ripper because it looks far and away the most unique and interesting.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Tatsu. I adore the intensity of a pretzel loop, there's noting else like it, and the one on Tatsu is obscene. I really like Crystal Wing too because of all the theming and near misses. Haven't don't Ripper or Dinosaur.

Pear

Strata Poster
I've only been on Tatsu and 2 Superman clones and Tatsu is great but I have to say Flying Dinosaur looks like the best flyer as it combines all the best elements from flyers over the world into one layout.

I found Tatsu a little overrated though as besides the pretzel loop it really doesn't do much for me.

Last edited:

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I've got the 3 Superman, Galactica (Air), Manta, and Tatsu.
I'd put Tatsu first and Manta just slightly behind it... And then Air.....and a giant gap.... The Superman's.

I feel like I would love flying dinosaur and probably Ripper. As far as flying coasters go, I like ones with actual layouts, the Superman coasters come off as one tricks to me since it's all about the pretzel and then nothing else.... At least with Manta there is some content after it. I think I like Tatus the best since the whole ride builds up to the pretzel and it's not the focal point of the ride.

((And also, I like all 3 Vekoma Flying Dutchman coasters better than the Superman's))

Last edited:
I hate ALL OF THEM. Well, the ones I've been on anyway (Superman, Acrobat, Air, and Flying Dino). If I had to pick, I definitely prefer Air/Galactica because it does the best job simulating a flying feeling without trying to murder you with unpleasant forces.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
  1. Tatsu - it's honestly one of the most perfect roller coaster experiences. I actually felt like a dragon flying over the park. And that pretzel loop <3
  2. Manta - Such a fun, reridable coaster. The pretzel loop is nearly as good as Tatsu's but the rest of the ride provide a gentle, fun experience.
  3. Superman SFOG - I recall this one being the most intense out of the three and the terrain interaction sets it apart from the rest.
  4. Superman SFGAdv - A bit more intense than the Chicago one.
  5. Superman SFGAm - Meh.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I've only done SFGAm Superman. Serious meh-fest outside of the pretzel loop. The highlight was being able to run the thing last year.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Here's what I've done:

1. Manta - Based on what I've ridden, there's no competition. It has a solid layout after the pretzel loop, and has some pretty good theming and near misses. Fantastic ride.
2. Superman: Ultimate Flight (SFGAd) - It has a pretzel loop...
3. Air - It doesn't have a pretzel loop...

I actually like all three of them. I really enjoy the flying positions so even when Superman and Air have "boring" layouts I still have a fun time. I LOVE pretzel loops too.

As for what looks the best? Definitely Flying Dinosaur. It has the pretzel loop, Starry Sky Ripper's first inversion thing, and a pretty solid layout after all the intensity. 2nd would be Ripper, followed by Tatsu.

As for the flying dutchman's, Firehawk is okay. The layout is actually decent the the loop is very intense, but the seats are pretty uncomfortable and laying down on the lift hill isn't good. I'd ride it again when I return to Kings Island though.

Will

Strata Poster
B&M flying coasters, for whatever reason, never really caught on in Europe, so I've only been on one and that one doesn't make me want to rush out and ride another.

That said, with Air being the prototype, there does look to have been a fair amount of progression with the layout designs since, so that the rides actually do things now. Manta, for instance, looks quite fab.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I've only ever ridden Air. It's okay... I find that I have sore shins by the end of it though due to the unpleasant restraints and strange riding position.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I haven't been on many, a couple of Supermans, Air and Manta. Of the 4 Manta is my fave, but I love the look of both Flying Dino and Starry, went with Dino for the poll tho.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Contrary to some it seems, what makes a flyer good for me is the disorientating elements and the more extreme forces. I find the whole 'simulating flight' part a little boring.
Yes it's an uncomfortable natural resting position, so best to give us something else to think about.

1. Flying Dinosaur - Crazy, intense and crazy intense. My favourite overall B&M. Even the bits that look dull are still crushing your brain.
2. Starry Sky Scrapper Ripper - 540 and the loop is fantastic, rest is a bit dull.
3. Crystal Wings - Pretzel is great, rest is a bit dull.
4. Air/Galactica - Fly to lie sucks. Don't do one of those again.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
I've been on three so far: Air/Galactica, Manta and Flying Dinosaur.

Galactica is good, Manta is great and Flying Dinosaur is off the scale. The Flying Dinosaur is so intense, so well paced, so fast, so beautiful and so downright amazing I would go back to Japan for that thing alone.

If F.L.Y. is anywhere near as good as The Flying Dinosaur then it will be one of the best coasters in the world.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
only done air and superman gadv... Love the pretzel loop! find the rest bery meh - stil need to try the VR option on air/galactica

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Go on then.

1. Flying Dinosaur - ridiculous thing, stupidly intense, but fab. Great setting flying over Jurassic Park as well.
2. Skyscrapper/Sky Ripper - excellent, unique coaster, but very plonked and lacking atmosphere.
3. Tatsu - Great setting on the mountain, was easily my favourite until I rode the above two.
4. Manta - Decent layout and good theming elements.
5. Acrobat - Only just below Manta (same coaster) since the theming isn't as good despite having the splashdown etc.
6. Crystal Wings - Boring Superman clone elevated by excellent theming.
7. Air - Never got the hate for it; it's a decent enough ride and is at least totally different to all the others
8/9. Superman (SFGAd/SFGAm) - Yep, it's weird to have a coaster between these and Crystal Wings, but the theming really does make that much of a difference.

I'll be doing Superman in Georgia in the summer (ugh), so will just need spitefully-located Harpy for the full collecsh.

I've done all the Vekomas, including Stingray, as well. Not going to try and place them in there though.

I'm not a massive fan of the coaster type in general though. The lift hills make me feel really anxious - yes, I know they're safe, but being that high up with my full weight pressing into the restraints is horrible - and I often leave them with a headache.