What's new

Ben10/Cartoon Network Street DMP review

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Drayton Manor in Staffordshire, UK, is a park full of "firsts" and "onlys". In 1994, they opened Shockwave, Europe's only stand-up coaster. In 2000, the world's first stand-up drop tower, Apocalypse, was unleashed. The popular and immersive Thomas Land opened in 2008 and was the first of its kind in Europe. New for 2011 is Cartoon Network Street, featuring the first ever Junior Boomerang coaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission.

Drayton Manor has successfully dipped its toe in the kids tv themed area water before with Thomas Land, so this should be a walk in a (theme) park for them. Will Cartoon Network Street be as well received as Thomas Land? Is there room in the park for two kids tv themed lands in one park? Most importantly (for us anyway), is the coaster any good? Ian, Nic, furie and Rach went to find out.
ben10media%20%2899%29.jpg

Cartoon Network Street is built where the old Sombrero ride once stood.

The area isn't as enclosed as one might expect a new land to be, but it's certainly easy to reconginse where the street beings and ends. It expands from the Haunting ride to the pathway that leads to the zoo.

The main feature of Cartoon Network Street is the rollercoaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission.
ben10media%20%2895%29.jpg

The coaster is the first of its kind in the world and was developed by Dutch manufacturers Vekoma. It is known as a Junior Boomerang coaster. Traditional boomerang coasters can be found throughout the world. They involve reversing up a lift hill before plummeting forwards through the station, through a cobra roll inversion and a vertical loop and up an angled spike. The train then travels backwards along the same track.

A Junior Boomerang differs slightly. Instead of inversions, the coaster has a helix (the spiral bit). Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission is the only boomerang coaster in the world that features a helix. It also has a 1m height limit so it's perfect for families.
ben10media%20%2886%29.jpg

Today at Drayton Manor, the new coaster was officially opened by Britain's Got Talent runners-up, Twist 'n Pulse. They cut the ribbon with Managing Director, Colin Bryan.
ben10media%20%2854%29.jpg

The cutting of the ribbon was followed by a ticker tape explosion, fireworks and streamers. Twist 'n Pulse had a quick ride before treating up to one of their dance routines.
ben10media%20%2859%29.jpg

ben10media%20%2864%29.jpg

Enough geek talk, what does it ride like?

Above the entrance, there is a stage with live actors, smoke and fire effects to welcome the riders as they enter the queue. Hopefully this will run all year round and not just in busy periods.
ben10media%20%2856%29.jpg

It sets a good atmosphere for the ride. Some rides themed to popular brands tend to use the logo and that's it. Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission goes beyond that and tries to immerse the rider in a story to make them feel that they are staring in the cartoon.

If you're not familiar with the cartoon, here's the jist of it in a nutshell. A scientist called Azmuth created a powerful device called the Omnitrix which can transform the holder into several varying alien lifeforms. The bad guy, Vilgax, wants the Omnitrix so he can rule the universe. Ben uses the Omnitrix to foil Vilgax's evil plans, having many exciting alien related adventures on the way.

SPOILER ALERT - If you don't want to read what happens inside the pre-ride queue, scroll down to the END SPOLIER tag, otherwise read on...

The queue leads to Azmuth’s Lab on the Galvan Prime planet, where riders get their first taste of the theme.
ben10media%20%2866%29.jpg

ben10media%20%2867%29.jpg

Riders then move on to the Alien Chamber, passing the almost hidden "Infinity Mirror" on the way. Models of the different Ben10 aliens surround the waiting riders as dramatic music plays and lights flash.
ben10media%20%2825%29.jpg

ben10media%20%2879%29.jpg

ben10media%20%2877%29.jpg

The models were created by a British company called Meticulous. They look awesome!

In order to stop Vilgax, riders need to activate the laser cannon to destroy Vilgax's spaceship.
ben10media%20%2860%29.jpg

This is where the coaster comes in. The coaster train acts as the shuttle to blast cannon. Riding the coaster is the only way to defeat Vilgax. Suits us!
ben10media%20%2842%29.jpg

END SPOILER

The ride starts with a backwards climb up a 65ft lift hill.
ben10media%20%2888%29.jpg

It then hurtles back through the station at 34mph...
ben10media%20%2896%29.jpg

...and through the upwards 3g helix...
ben10media%20%2891%29.jpg

...and decelerates up a angled spike. The spike has a bendy part at the end, but is only noticeable in the first three rows.
ben10media%20%2890%29.jpg

The train then travels along the track in reverse back to the station.
In all the track is 590ft long, which is quite short for a coaster, but as riders get two goes (once forwards, once backwards), it is effectively two rides rolled up in one.

Stop looking at photos, see the ride in action in our POV video!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxYrTtlT0v4[/youtube]

After the ride, the exit is through the on-ride photo booth. The photo is taken at the start of the helix.
ben10media%20%2898%29.jpg

Drayton Manor approached Cartoon Network with the concept of building a themed dedicated street after noticing kids wearing Ben10 t-shirts around the park. Where Thomas Land is aimed at the under 6's, Cartoon Network Street is to appeal to children aged between 5-10. By having the two lands and the big rides, all of the family is catered for. A shrewd move by Drayton!

The area is due to expand over the coming years. The street will eventually incorporate the £80k refurbished ferris wheel, The Haunting (with a possible Scooby Doo theme), the refurbished Hollywood Diner, the 4D cinema and a new ride. Stay tuned to CF for updates as we get them!

Cartoon Network Street isn’t as grand and overpowering as Thomas Land, but it does offer a pleasant experience for Ben 10 fans and those who like rides with a story and theme. The area is a suitable addition to Drayton Manor. The new area is primarily aimed at the family market, but there is appeal for thrill seekers in the form of a unique, well themed coaster, which is more than a "+1" coaster count credit. Some family coasters do not hold appeal for rerides but Ben 10 – Ultimate Mission does.

After Thomas Land, other areas of the park started to feel tired and neglected. Aside from the shiny addition of Cartoon Network Street and the hotel (opening in August), several rides have been treated to a spruce-up. It’s almost as new life is being breathed in the park. Well done, Drayton!

We can't wait until their next sixth new coaster in 2013...

A

Anonymous

Cool report though, and a really fitting ride for Drayton, they have really shaped up since my visit there 6 years ago. I just hope that they can keep this up and evolve so that they can provide a great day our for the whole family!!
They got the kid part sorted pretty well now, just need to fix the in-between now, in my view...

Rach

Giga Poster
I'll add my bit in!

Firstly, I had a lovely day. Drayton holds a little place in my heart and it's always good to go back again!

I'll be honest, I've not followed any construction at all over the closed season and this includes Ben 10, so I didn't really know what to expect, but needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

221619_1926074748235_1133143676_2260145_777086_n.jpg

The area that it is in clearly needed some TLC and I'm pleased it's got it! The area itself is very clean and new which is always a good thing.

Twist 'n' Pulse who opened the ride I'd never really heard much about, but that's more to the fact I don't really like BGT. However, they done the job and they done the job well.

222039_1926071388151_1133143676_2260128_1975099_n.jpg

To the ride itself now. The queue is fantastic, but being indoors is something that Drayton could do without, but it was cool in there thankfully. The queue is also very well themed, something you can see Drayton are taking pride in which is nice to see. It fits in very well with the ride.

So the ride, I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot, but I was taken aback! When lifted up the hill the break is a little vicious, but once you've got over that it runs smoothly and packs a nice punch - something I wasn't expecting at all.

216251_1926073548205_1133143676_2260139_6882616_n.jpg

Fantastic addition to the park and I reckon the Cartoon Network Street will be a success!

Thanks Drayton!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I do hope they plan to add some more facades onto the buildings... Cos they do look rather poor in the pictures...

Still, looks like a good ride that fits Drayton perfectly... Looking forward to May for this...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'll do a full review with piccies tomorrow :)

For now, I've tidied up the initial report above to correct inaccuracies that were in our reporting :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, go on then... Have a quick review tonight :) I'll do a photo type one in the morning :)

It is what it is... It's just like somebody took a Vekoma Boomerang, and made it suitable for little kids... You could say they made a Junior version of the Boomerang... ;)

I love Boomerangs to be honest. There's a fantastic thrill on the lift looking down and a mildly pleasant shock as you drop through the station. On a normal Boomerang, it all goes hideously wrong after this point with all the head banging and back breaking and everything.

This captures a child's amount of the thrill. It's there, just in a smaller, neater package. The helices are pretty lacking, but they have a soft "punch", it's a really odd coaster. It's just... perfect for kids. For me, it was a bit like going to a park and playing on the swings and see-saw. I've been on much bigger and more thrilling versions of the play park equipment, but there's still a childish joy to be had from something small and simple.

Theming is spot on for Ben 10 fans. Lots of recognisable characters well presented. They were still working on the station to a degree, but again, it's just a simply designed building that keeps the kids happy. I did feel that the last thing Drayton needed was another silly claustrophobic, sticky, hot indoor queue line. However, the building was cool enough inside and very wide and open - so it worked.

As with all these things, it's all about target market. The target market for this is spot on. It's a fantastic stepping stone coaster, with exactly the right I.P. presented just right. It's not rivalling Disney, but it doesn't need to. It's just another "quirky and interesting" addition to Drayton well presented and bang on for the audience they are aiming at.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think it actually looks quite good. I normally don't get very excited for kiddie coasters, but this seems to have struck the balance between intense and tame well. It'll be interesting to see how many parks get rides like this in the next few years.

Maybe a trip back to Drayton will be worth it in 2011! :p

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm wondering which U.S. park will be the first to pick up on this & get one. Snoo, UC & I all like the fab Crossbow kiddie coaster (a Zierer ESC) at Bowcraft Playland, yet the only other park to build one so far is Schwaben Park near my hometown in Germany.

TjChapperz

Mega Poster
Video of Twist & Pulse's First Performance at the park:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yikcnhHH3CQ[/youtube]

Lofty

CF Legend
It looks really good for a family coaster. I'm definitely going to have to go back to the park soon!

Brookes

Giga Poster
Great reports there, this really does look like a cracking little ride. I really hope I can get to Drayton this year to try it out. It looks very well themed, and the perfect in-between coaster.