What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Human Vs Cyclon closes for good?

Lofty

CF Legend
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Human Vs Cyclon closes for good

_koppen said:
Remember that this ride was in planning years before it opened in 2010. B&M back then had a very strict non launch policy.

Yeah, it's not like The Incredible Hulk opened in 1999 and has a lift launch (albeit tire driven) just like these two.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ The tire launch was designed and built by a separate company, not B&M. So technically, B&M had nothing to do with it really!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

What a shame. Doubly so since I spent over a week in Singapore a couple of weeks ago, and was taunted by its closure every day. It didn't look like there was anything else worthwhile in the park, so we decided to skip it altogether and visit the aquarium instead. Oh well, saved a lot of money, at least.

Lofty

CF Legend

Ethan said:
^ The tire launch was designed and built by a separate company, not B&M. So technically, B&M had nothing to do with it really!
Fair enough but my point still stands that they could have done the same; sent another company the contract for the launch mechanism. It's simple really.

bmac

Giga Poster

The only reason why Hulk has the launched lift is because Universal insisted on having it. B&M was reluctant to allow another company to touch their ride, but Universal pestered them enough to get it done. If B&M didn't back down Hulk probably wouldn't of have happened.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Lofty said:
Fair enough but my point still stands that they could have done the same; sent another company the contract for the launch mechanism. It's simple really.

That is true, but it is an expensive solution. Unlike the US parks, the park in Singapore is not built by Universal, it's only licensed. I doubt that the investors for the park wanted to pay extra for something like that, like Universal did with Hulk.

Also why pursue B&M to build a ride they are doubtful of, when other companies will be glad to do it? Sure in hindsight the Vekoma ride turned ugly, but it's always easy to be after smart.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Apparently it's not closed for good. While the Cylon/blue side looks the same...

WP_20140529_15_51_37_Pro__highres.jpg

...work on the Human/red side has begun.

WP_20140529_15_50_40_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20140529_15_48_58_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20140529_15_51_07_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20140529_15_52_13_Pro__highres.jpg

Source: http://lukeandthetempleoffun.blogspot.sg/2014/05/this-week-in-uss-3-what-is-going-on.html

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Looks like this coaster will reopen and it could happen before the year's end.
It is billed as the tallest duelling roller coaster in the world - but since last July, it has also probably been the quietest. But screaming crowds might return by the year end to Universal Studios Singapore's (USS) 42.5m-high Battlestar Galactica roller coaster if plans to resurrect the ride proceed without a hitch.
The Sunday Times has learnt that Resorts World Sentosa (RWS), the ride's owner, has submitted technical and support documents for the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) to review.
A spokesman for the authority confirmed that the review is being finalised. Once this is done, a Modification Permit would be issued so alterations can be made to the present ride. "BCA will allow the operation of the ride only after modifications are completed, safety checks are done and the Commissioner of Amusement Rides Safety is satisfied... with the safety measures in place," the spokesman added.
Sources within USS also said they have been told the ride would re-open before the end of this year.
Genting Group, which owns RWS and USS, revealed in its quarterly report in August that it was getting ready for the sci-fi-themed ride's relaunch. When contacted, an RWS spokesman confirmed this and said details would be announced at a later date.
The Battlestar Galactica, USS' star attraction, was closed on July 21 last year for what RWS called an "attraction review". It has not given further details on why it has been unavailable for more than a year.
The 90-second ride, which has sharp turns, vertical loops and can go as fast as 90kmh, got off to an inauspicious start when a seat fell off because of a technical glitch during a routine test in March 2010, just a week after USS opened. No one was hurt, but the ride's licence was suspended immediately.
When The Sunday Times visited last Wednesday, the doors to the two alternate tracks of the roller coaster were shut, but the tracks had received a fresh coat of paint. Park-goers have spotted other changes too.
"From September onwards, I started to see ride engineers on the track," said blogger Nicholas Yau, who has an annual pass to USS and visits the park every two to three weeks.
Malaysian student Ismail Ibrahim, 19, has fond memories of his first time on the roller coaster in June last year. When he visited the park again this week, he was disappointed to find the ride closed. "I can still remember the people screaming," he said.
Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...may-reopen-year-20141012?sthash.YLbjHtbF.mjjo

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Looks like this coaster will reopen and it could happen before the year's end.
It is billed as the tallest duelling roller coaster in the world - but since last July, it has also probably been the quietest. But screaming crowds might return by the year end to Universal Studios Singapore's (USS) 42.5m-high Battlestar Galactica roller coaster if plans to resurrect the ride proceed without a hitch.
The Sunday Times has learnt that Resorts World Sentosa (RWS), the ride's owner, has submitted technical and support documents for the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) to review.
A spokesman for the authority confirmed that the review is being finalised. Once this is done, a Modification Permit would be issued so alterations can be made to the present ride. "BCA will allow the operation of the ride only after modifications are completed, safety checks are done and the Commissioner of Amusement Rides Safety is satisfied... with the safety measures in place," the spokesman added.
Sources within USS also said they have been told the ride would re-open before the end of this year.
Genting Group, which owns RWS and USS, revealed in its quarterly report in August that it was getting ready for the sci-fi-themed ride's relaunch. When contacted, an RWS spokesman confirmed this and said details would be announced at a later date.
The Battlestar Galactica, USS' star attraction, was closed on July 21 last year for what RWS called an "attraction review". It has not given further details on why it has been unavailable for more than a year.
The 90-second ride, which has sharp turns, vertical loops and can go as fast as 90kmh, got off to an inauspicious start when a seat fell off because of a technical glitch during a routine test in March 2010, just a week after USS opened. No one was hurt, but the ride's licence was suspended immediately.
When The Sunday Times visited last Wednesday, the doors to the two alternate tracks of the roller coaster were shut, but the tracks had received a fresh coat of paint. Park-goers have spotted other changes too.
"From September onwards, I started to see ride engineers on the track," said blogger Nicholas Yau, who has an annual pass to USS and visits the park every two to three weeks.
Malaysian student Ismail Ibrahim, 19, has fond memories of his first time on the roller coaster in June last year. When he visited the park again this week, he was disappointed to find the ride closed. "I can still remember the people screaming," he said.
Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...may-reopen-year-20141012?sthash.YLbjHtbF.mjjo

Ben

CF Legend

^Yeah, before the 23rd please <//3

Ben

CF Legend

Double post but meh.

http://dejiki.com/2014/10/uss-update-2014oct/

I'm not holding my breath but things are moving. I don't think six weeks is long enough to do the safety checks, especially because I imagine Singapore is very strict, but at least progress is being made.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

They're testing!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBP_LJ6zxkM[/youtube]

Dar

Hyper Poster

That looks awfully naff :/

Ben

CF Legend

They have two weeks to open this thing.

COME ON!

Lofty

CF Legend

It seems to be holding speed a lot better than it used to do.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Looking forward to this opening 2 days after Ben visits <3

#needthecredz

Universal Singapore is fab anyway.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

It seems like the modified train may enable them to run it a bit faster than before.

i-KBVkGGh-L.jpg