B&M or Intamin

• B&M

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Intamin

Votes: 27 38.0%

• Total voters

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Sorry if it's been done, but it's something I've pondered and seems to have sparked some debate on YT (though what doesn't?)

So what do you say?
I'm a B&M man...though I have to give it to Intamin for hypers.

Both are great companies of course.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Read the account name! LOL :--D
Intamin has made more original rides overall, and have a lot more unique elements than B&M. They innovate with elements waaaaay more, and the prefab woodies are the best new type of coaster besides the wingrider (haven't been on one yet :cry: ). While at best B&M makes a lot of pretty good rides, Intamin makes a smaller (but still substantial) quantity of absolutely great rides.

Fav B&M: Nitro Worst B&M: Hydra
Fav Intamin: Maverick Worst Intamin: Intimidator 305

Blizzrock

Roller Poster
How can ANYONE hate i305? (Unless they rode it with the trims I guess).

Each company is great in their own right, but I feel like Intamin has the higher ceiling. Their rides also seem a little more unique. They're also the company more willing to try "out there" ideas, and as a result they also typically have the more intense, faster, and taller coasters between the two designers.

I've never once ridden a bad B&M coaster -- they're always quality rides. As for innovation, B&M just kind of comes in later to improve upon or perfect the forerunners' designs (this isn't necessarily a bad thing, however). Still, they're sprawling layouts typically have an almost artistic grace to them (see: Manta) and their smoothness is unparalleled.

All in all, however, I have to go with Intamin. They're responsible for my top 4 favorite coasters of all time.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Oh god not again -_-

Yes this topic has been done to death. I'll put my 2 cents in anyway and say that I prefer B&M because I absolutely love their inversions. Intamin is also amazing but I don't get as much of a kick from most of their rides as I do with B&Ms with the exception of Maverick.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Venom2053 said:
Oh god not again -_-

Yes this topic has been done to death. I'll put my 2 cents in anyway and say that I prefer B&M because I absolutely love their inversions. Intamin is also amazing but I don't get as much of a kick from most of their rides as I do with B&Ms with the exception of Maverick.

I figured as much and really did toil with making this thread....
buuuuut
Everything on the internet is a re-post of a re-post anyway so I did it.
Also I figured any talk here would be informed and well said...opposed to youtube :roll:

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Anywho...agreed with all above honestly.
Intamin seems more innovative and I have gotten a bit tired of seeing that standard 7 inversion B&M (loop, dive loop, zero g, cobra roll, mcbr, locked corkscrews) all over.

Like I said, I give it to Intamin for hypers..the lack of MCBR and trim breaks just give it so much speed. Those Intamin hypers haul major ass. I just get a better feel from B&M though, and they are always silky smooth.

I love both, but slight edge to B&M. Was just of general opinion!
Also I love Hydra! It's not the best ever, but that's a great ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ahh, it's been a while since we did one of these. :wink:

Intamin. B&M builds some damn good coasters, but nowhere near the quality and breadth of Intamin.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Intamin. B&M builds some damn good coasters, but nowhere near the quality and breadth of Intamin.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Hyde244 said:

Really, because last time I checked B&M are extremely reliable, while Intamin, not so much. B&M don't have to neuter their coasters after they are built, they just do it before it is built.

But I prefer B&M more, ridden a lot more and had a better overall experience.

michaellll

Mega Poster
Intamin.

B&M, while their rides are top notch, follow a predictable formula with their coasters and I generally get bored with them quickly. I do enjoy their hypers and flyers quite a bit though.

Intamin, like people have been mentioning, generally push the limits of their designs and usually that results in a very inspired layouts. In short, that's why I favor them.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The problem with Intamin is that there's no kind of "quality control". It's all very much pushing everything to the limits without a massive amount of thought for the product they're creating.

B&M are a much more even keel and just plod along nicely, doing what they do very well.

So you tend to end up with Intamin coasters ranging from:

Piss poor, painful and unreliable --> could be great but painful and unreliable --> alright I guess but unreliable --> **** me sideways with that airtime hill what a brilliant coaster.

And every ride is very different.

B&M its:

Okay I guess but reliable --> Pretty good and reliable --> Very good and reliable.

B&M never reach the superb ride excitement that the good coasters Intamin do, but you always know what you're getting and it'll be at the very least "enjoyable".

Personally I prefer B&M, but my top five has two Intamin coasters in it (Bizarro and El Toro). However, I don't think another Intamin hits my top 20, but it's riddled with B&M coasters. So while there are two stand out brilliant Intamin rides I've been on, most have been mediocre, lacklustre or just plain dreadful. I don't think any B&M I've been on ever falls into that category.

Kebab

Giga Poster
If it was the 90's, I wouldn't hesitate to say B&M top Intamin hands-down. But I think B&M have waddled through the 00's keeping it very safe, and started to incline again now we're in the new decade. So at the moment, I'd probably say Intamin, they've gave us some great surprises over the past few years, and aren't afraid to break the barriers and push the boundaries.

Although, I do think B&M have something up there sleeve for this decade... :wink:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Furie explained it pretty well - b and m are extremely safe and reliable, wheras intamins can have a fair amount of downtime, and their safety record is a little concerning, on b and m consistency only varies between "ok"(daemonen and silver star) and "excelent"(nemesis) wheras intamin go between "oweeeeeeeeeee" (baco and kanonen) and "intense orgasm" (colossos at heide)

so - tough choice, i dunno!

Snoo

The Legend
Intamin = A few awesome epic with tons of crap.
B&M = tons of pretty good with a few crap.

That's the thing. I'd take 2 Gems over 10 Above Average any day of the week.

michaellll

Mega Poster
Snoo said:
Intamin = A few awesome epic with tons of crap.
B&M = tons of pretty good with a few crap.

That's the thing. I'd take 2 Gems over 10 Above Average any day of the week.

This. All day er'y day.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
My top 10 is split dead even between B&M and Intamin, with 5 apiece. That said, my top 3 are Intamin, and Toro & I305 stand head and shoulders above the other 8 IMO, so I guess they get my vote.

andrus

Giga Poster
You could've asked me a couple of weeks ago and I probably would've said B&M. But after riding Skyrush and I305 my love for Intamin has drastically increased! Sure, they have some pretty crappy rides, but the pure ecstacy you get from riding Skyrush and I305 is unparalleled with anything I've ridden before! Intamin <3

Mack

Mega Poster
I always see B&M as being the roller coaster equivalent of an Apple computer, and Intamin is more like a PC.

Intamin is a lot more flexible, more open to crazy ideas, some of them turn out great, some turn out crap.
B&M, on the other hand, is much more conservative. The reliability of a B&M coaster is almost always going to be higher than that of an Intamin one. Much like Apple approaches new technologies with extreme caution, so does B&M. No cable lifts, no launches — they'd rather it be reliable and a great ride than gamble to make something potentially extraordinarily fantastic or an unreliable, closed-half-the-time, cable-snapping dud. Example, at SFMM, sure, Green Lantern is an impressive, punch-packing ride, but it malfunctions at least once an hour. Next to it is Riddler's Revenge, which you would be hard-pressed to find broken down, and is also an excellent ride, though perhaps not as jaw-dropping as Green Lantern.

They both have their pros and cons. I say a park should have both. :)

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
This is comparing apples to oranges. They both fall under the umbrella concept of "fruits" (coasters) in general terms, but they're equally unique in their own ways. There's no decision to be made here.