What's new

Asian Odyssey - Part 2 - Dragon Park Vietnam

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I've recently been going through some old photo and realised i never posted a TR. So 4 years late here is my Pre Covid trip around Asia.

Park 1: Happy Valley Beijing

The main reason to fly out to Asia was to go and visit some friends. My old uni housemate was at the time serving in the British Embassy in Beijing so my first stop was a week with him and another friend in the capital. While most of the trip was spent doing the touristy stuff (Climbing the wall, cooking courses and the like) I did convince them to take a trip out to Happy Valley Beijing.

Now HV Beijing is a park I have visited before but since I was last there the park has added 2 new B&M Coasters and now has a really solid lineup.

IMG_20190916_131030.jpg
Entrance area - The park now has its own Metro stop on Line 7 which it did not have last time i visited. Making things a hell of a lot easier.

The park now of course has 3 B&M coasters, the oldest being this Superman Clone but it's a superman with somewhat better themeing than its US Cousins
IMG_20190916_140710_1.jpg
Unfortunatly the ride had yet to open as had Extreme Rusher so we wandered past to the rear of the park and my first new cred of the trip

IMG_20190916_140909.jpg
The worlds 2nd B&M Junior coaster and a direct rip off of the Vekoma model found around the world. The layout is almost identical but with a slightly modified figure of 8 section that feels a bit more dynamic. Having ridden its sister ride in Shanghai as well I can say It is as expected pretty much identical to the Vekoma in ride experience but perhaps a little smoother.

Next up was the main draw for me and the beautiful new at the time B&M mini hyper coaster. The fantastically named "Flight of the Himalayan Eagle Music Roller Coaster" or "FotHEMR" for short.

IMG_20190916_141353.jpgIMG_20190916_143909.jpgIMG_20190916_152949.jpgIMG_20190916_153043.jpg
The ride is great. It's not world beating and was never goint to be the equal of rides like Fury 325 but it's a really solid ride with decent airtime and some fun interaction with the surroundings, The onboard sound system is a nice addition too and the water splash is beautifully placed over the lake. Overall i'd give it an 8/10 and a great addition for the park.

We wandered round the corner and took a ride on the Frisbee
IMG_20190916_153320.jpg
A ride that has lost a lot of its themeing since my last visit. Always a good flat ride experience especially when theyre this big but I can help but prefer the Intamin model in Shanghai which just feels more out of control.

We noticed that Extreme Rusher had now opened and headed round the parks central lake.
IMG_20190916_153500.jpgIMG_20190916_153543.jpgIMG_20190916_153547.jpgIMG_20190916_154434.jpg

The queue for Extreme Rusher was already 45 mins long and easily the longest queue in the park. This isn't helped by standard Happy Valley levels of operations and could easily have been a 20min queue at any efficient park but this is China. I've been here before and knew what to expect

IMG_20190916_162844.jpgIMG_20190916_162940.jpgIMG_20190916_165352.jpg

I've sung the virtues of these rides before and really wish someone in the west would pick one up. Extreme Rusher was the first of the 5 currenly in China and is the weakest of the 3 I've ridden but it is still a top tier ride. The Air Launch has such a good punch and I just love S&S's 4 across lap bar cars.

The ride was perhaps a little rougher than when I last rode it but nothing too bad and it's probably still the best ride in the park, just edging the B&M aross the water.

Of course there was one B&M we hadnt ridden yet. The previously mentioned Superman clone known as Crystal Wing.

IMG_20190916_162916.jpgIMG_20190916_163320.jpgIMG_20190916_163329.jpg

The ride has been painted since I was last here. It used to be Yellow but now sports a lovely orange facelift. I can only assume they didnt want 2 Yellow B&Ms right next to each other.

As for the ride experience its as you would expect of a Superman clone. A decent ride but nothing special. certianly lifted by the themeing with some lovely close fly bys but not a patch on some of the bigger flyers like the brilliant Sky Ripper down in Wuxi.
For me the pretzel loop is still the highlight of any flyer and it shines here but the 2nd half of the ride swooping through the ruins doesn't quite live up to the bombastic begining.

Having completed all the bigger rides we did a quick loop of the park picking up the SLC.
IMG_20190916_143429.jpg
Beautifully themed and sporting a gorgeous new Blue Tornadoesque paint job but it really hasnt aged well. Its one of the earliest Shenlin layout SLC's and I fully expect it to go the way of its Shenzhen sibling in the next few years.

We skipped the mine train as it somehow had an hour long queue (it was 10mins earlier in the day) and I'd already ridden the ride years before.
Considering the prevelance of the layout in China I knew I'd be riding it again before the trip was over.

We took a quick spin on another new ride the heavily themed rapids ride.

IMG_20190916_143632.jpg
IMG_20190916_143637.jpg

A decent ride actually and really well intergrated into the new B&M Himalayan area.

It was unfortunatly getting late and I'd ridden all the other rides in the park before and my GP friends werent too bothered. Plus we had a date with some beers at a brewery in central Beijing so we took a couple more spins on Music Coaster to end the day and then caught the metro back into town.

Happy Valley Beijing is an excellent park and has a great coaster lineup. It's easilly the best park in the Beijing area and while It perhaps lacks a wooden coaster that some of the newer Happy Valley parks have. With the likely demise of the SLC in the next few years and HV being pretty good at installing new rides in old parks (looking at you Fantawild) we could well see one soon.

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Beijing is easily the best of the Happy Valley parks and the operations seem a lot better as well. Not great, but better. They even had more than one train on the tracks last time I was there. Sure, it sat on the brake run for ages, but still.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Beijing is easily the best of the Happy Valley parks and the operations seem a lot better as well. Not great, but better. They even had more than one train on the tracks last time I was there. Sure, it sat on the brake run for ages, but still.
Agreed its easily the best run park of the lot. Its a close run thing with Shanghai for coaster collection though. Fireball, Mega Lite, Dive Coaster and The Mine Train are all great rides which arguably beats Music Coaster, Extreme Rusher and Crystal Wing but its a close run thing.

Park 2: Dragon Park - Vietnam

Theres a bit of a time jump here. After Beijing me and my friends headed to Bali to meet up with a friend living in Taiwan and one from Australia for a weeks debauchery. However following that and a long hangover Myself and one other friend headed to Ha Long Bay for the classic boat tour around the stunning Islands.

That was incredible but Ha Long had another attraction i couldnt wait to visit.

Dragon Park is one of Sun Worlds fist big parks in Vietnam and became famous for its installation of the old Led Zepplin coaster from Hard Rock Park in the USA.

The coaster was clearly visible from my hotel and runs right down the side of a main road behind some small shops and restaurants.

IMG_20190929_123222.jpgIMG_20190929_123231.jpg

I headed to the park the morning after my arrival at the hotel and was greeted by a rather lovely entrance area.

IMG_20190929_160337.jpgIMG_20190929_150931.jpgIMG_20190929_151007.jpg

Obviously my first port of call was going to be Dragons Run, The previously mentioned B&M sitdown coaster from the doomed Hard Rock Park in the USA.

IMG_20190929_153916.jpg

Situated between the edge of the park and the parks lake the ride looks fairly splendid with its long line of inversions mirrored nicely in the waters. The entrance area is very nicely done although quite why the station is still a giant airship is never really explained.

Here's a quick dump of photos from various points around the park.

IMG_20190929_151448.jpgIMG_20190929_151459.jpg
IMG_20190929_151454.jpg
IMG_20190929_151602.jpgIMG_20190929_151624.jpgIMG_20190929_151625.jpgIMG_20190929_151730.jpgIMG_20190929_151802.jpg

Now how do I rate this ride you ask? Well its Good but its not that good. The layout while beautiful is rather uninspired but all inversions are decent. It has a light rattle especially near the rear but nothing that takes away from the experience.

Its essentially a very solid ride but just doesnt do anything particuarlly special and feels a bit uninspired. However it is probably one of the best rides in the country and is easily better than any sitdown looper in the UK. But that really isn't anything to shout home about and just says more about the state of the UK market than anything else.

After Dragon Run it was time for a wonder around the park.

IMG_20190929_153943.jpg

The park has one of these too. But surprise to surprise it was closed,

IMG_20190929_154209.jpg

I took a quick spin on the parks first Junior coaster weirdly called Mine Train Coaster. A standard Vekoma 335m model roller skater with some fairly decent themeing. We must have all ridden one of these by now, nothing amazing but as always a fairly solid family ride.

IMG_20190929_154413.jpg
The park has some fairly lovely areas but its so weird seeing roller coasters right next to some towering residential complex's. It reminds me slightly of Thunder Dolphin in Tokyo.

IMG_20190929_154549.jpg

I took a quick spin on the parks main water ride. A fairly standard twin drop spillwater type ride which got you fairly wet, Something that was quite nice in the rather extreme heat of the day.

My final port of call was the parks last coaster. Little Dragons Flight is a Vekoma SFC which follows the same general layout as the B&M model I rode at Happy Valley Beijing

IMG_20190929_154612.jpgIMG_20190929_154642.jpgIMG_20190929_154816.jpgIMG_20190929_154821.jpgIMG_20190929_155517.jpgIMG_20190929_155535.jpg

Apart from being a mirror image of the Beijing ride they are basically the same ride and the ride experience is mostly indistinguishable. The colour scheme here is a little weird but thats not that unusual in Asia and the ride has some passable themeing in the station but very little out on the ride. Again a decent family coaster but thats about it.

All in all Dragon Park is a decent park to spend a few hours in. As shown in the photos the park was almost empty and every ride was a walk on. I only spent maybe 2 and a half hours in the park and that included 4 rides on Dragon Run and 2 on each of the junior coasters.

Its a pretty park in a bit of a dump of a city but well worth your time if you happen to be in the area, if only for being able ride a fairly uninspired B&M coaster repeatedly without a queue.

Its not a great park but in an area with precisely zero great parks.... it will do.