What's new

Are fun fair coasters considered creds?

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
I dont know if this has been answered before but are fun fair retractable coasters considered creds? I'm planning on going to my local fun fair to get 4 of them.

Ben

CF Legend
There is no answer to this I'm afraid.

It's all down to personal opinion, and no two people's counting systems are the same.

I would say the majority of people count fair coasters, usually as long as they know they're only counting them once. I count them if that makes a difference.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I would count fair coasters. I just never visit fairs because I hate them. At least the Dutch ones. Crappy coasters, crappy atmosphere, crappy everything.

Snoo

The Legend
Yes. Ben hit the nail on the head with it though. While I've never been on one, I would definitely count it.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
As Ben stated, it's up to each individual.
I count the major ones on the German fair circuit as they are easily distinguishable to avoid counting them twice at different locations, but I don't count the ones at American fairs because you can't tell if the yellow Pinafari or green wild mouse that you rode at the New York State Fair are the same ones at the street fair in Anaheim (for example) or not.
When I was younger I rode a lot of coasters at the Oktoberfest and the Augsburg Plärrer that I never would count because I didn't pay attention to the details and can't say which were different ones and which were the same. I also rode many during our summer vacations in Tarragona at the Salou fair (before PortAventura was built), but I don't know exactly which ones were different than the previous year, so I don't count any of them either.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Using sites like http://www.coaster-count.com makes it a lot easier to count portable rides. I never used to until I saw them there. It's not perfect, but with certain rides it's nice and like others have said, easily distinguishable as to not accidentally recount. My count is still off by 2 or 3 based off some Go-Gators and such I would have ridden +25 years ago, but its a start :p

Uh, like Avalanche- https://www.flickr.com/photos/canobiefan/2453856220 - that used to be at Holiday World (and Geauga Lake before that!)
Or Doppel Looping (RIP) - https://www.flickr.com/photos/canobiefan/2453856412 - the largest coaster to be moved in the states.
And Pole Position - https://www.flickr.com/photos/canobiefan/2274287795 - what was the only adult coaster moved in New England

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I totally count fair creds. There aren't really a lot of coasters around where I live that I haven't been on so I usually get a handful of them a year in between big trips. I've asked canobie fan about countless fair creds because he seems to be the only one who has been on the ones around me. Like he said also coastercount just makes it so easy.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I always lump in this kind of discussion with that of coaster clones and relocations. There are those who like to count them, and those who don't. It can really just boil down to personal preference.

I guess I lean towards counting them, especially those that are more major installations, such as Reverchon spinning mouse or Schwarzkopf loopers.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, like most ways of counting, it's really a personal choice. I count them, but I haven't ridden enough of them to worry about whether I may have ridden it somewhere else.

If I thought there was a chance I'd already ridden it, I wouldn't count it again because people who do that, along with people who count relocations, are dreadful human beings.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
gavin said:
, along with people who count relocations, are dreadful human beings.
That's one of the coolest parts of Coaster-Count. It will let you mark off that you've ridden the same coaster at park A, B, and C..... But it only adds "one" to your count.

IE: anyone who rode Déjà Vu at Magic Mountain and it as Goliath now at New England... You can show up on both ridden lists but it only counts as a credit once

S

SimonSays99

I count them once. Even if I rode them at a fair and at a park. For example Zierer indoor coaster Black Hole normally operates the German fair circuit but did a long stint at Bavarian theme park Geiselwind near Nuremberg in 2014.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I don't count them, purely down to the fact I cannot be arsed to try and remember/track them down.

Yeti

Roller Poster
Personally, although I have only been on one portable coaster, I wouldn't count them in general. I would however count one if it was as famous/large/exciting as a park coaster (rides such as Olympia Looping or Eurostar), but the problem there is which ones to count and which don't.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I count them all. Coaster is a coaster, why would it make any difference if it is a traveling one or a fixed one?

Also, that helps me up my coaster count without driving more than 2 hours to a nearest amusement park...