What's new

Arcades and such

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So, do you like to go to Arcades? Do you have any personal favorites? Favorite and least favorite games? Tell us everything!

Personally, I love going to arcades. It's a great way to unwind and or get your anxiety pumping. Some of my favorite games are the Big Bass Fishing wheels, the Balloon Pop game, Slam-a-Winner, the Virtual Jump Rope game, any of those coin-based 'spinning disc' games, claw machines, and of course, Pin Ball machines.

Pics for those people who live under a rock:

3Qg7Bsq.jpg

Slam-a-Winner and the Balloon Pop

NmwYas9.jpg

Virtual Jump Rope

So, CF, what about you?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I used to love them. Spent too many lost hours in them.

I used to do an annual pilgrimage to Blackpool half for the Pleasure Beach and half the arcades to see the new games on release.

From Donkey Kong to Spy Hunter to paper boy to an R360 I saw the new year's releases there each year.

Back then, the only way to play top tech games was in the arcade. Once home games were as good as arcades, there simply wasn't any reason to dump £1 coins into a cabinet.

Coincidentally, an old uni friend of mine has converted his extension and garage into a "retro" arcade with about 20 machines (including Bubble Bobble) to play on, plus a Mame cab.

He's invited me there tomorrow night and I'm going with the two minors. Should be a good night.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Sandman

Giga Poster
Now and again I'll pop into the nearby arcades and throw a pound into the Crazy Fruit slot machine. Used to go on it all the time as a teenager and it can be fun in moderation. I do enjoy the classic House of the Dead shooters too, though. So much nostalgia!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I love 2p machines! If I'm by the seaside, I make an effort to have go on some.

Other than those I don't really bother to play anything else.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Ah yes, I forgot about Air Hockey. I do also turn quite competitive when I go against one of my brothers.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Personally, I think arcades are a huge waste of money. Never have been a fan of them. Unless you can get a wristband or card or something that gets you unlimited games, I don't bother. The games are fun though! I just don't think it's worth the money. I strongly prefer console gaming on my Xbox One or PS4.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I don't generally go to arcades any more. That is with one exception...

PINBALL!

RCT8.jpg

I was obsessed with pinball as a kid, and it still brings me joy and a hint of nostalgia, so I just disappear for an hour whenever I discover somewhere that has one.

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
Who doesn't love an arcade? I grew up in the golden era. Playing the original Dragon's Lair at Showbiz and Hill's shopping center. 50cent per play. Also, games like StarCastle, Pac-Man, Elevator Action, Food Fight, Time Pilot, Crystal Castles, Super Off Road, Mortal Kombat etc. These games ruled. I loved the old pinball-type baseball games like they used to have(still do?) at Disney World's old-tyme arcade.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I think that some other CFers have already been but I can highly recommend Southwold's Under the Pier arcade. It's basically an art installation where some guy has built his own weird and wacky arcade machines such as 'take a dog for a walk' or 'see through the eyes of a fly'. Here's the site, it's well worth a look.

http://www.underthepier.com

He adds new games all the time. This is his latest addition:

2a8f0e8a4ae26815d6ddafe6015f8f40.jpg

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
My personal faves are probably the proper pinball machines as shown in above, i love the attention to detail that goes into them.

Other honorable mentions go to crazy taxi, time crisis, house of the dead, guitar hero and the good old 2p machines!