What's new

(Arabian) Derby?

coastermac

Roller Poster
As I often like to do when I'm visiting Flamingo Land, I decided to play Arabian Derby. I don't know if this is because it's actually a good game, or the theme tune or even if it's the idea of Arabs in a derby :) But I do just love it. Although on visiting today I noticed some sly changes had been made:

Notice anything different?

What I found even more hilarious, was this:
(P.s. Listen carefully)

Like the moron I am, I couldn't figure out of to embed the video, so if anyones actually interested, heres a link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C2NWnE_GuU

Mike

Giga Poster
It's one of those ****ty racing side-games where you have to roll the balls into the holes.

Big woop.

Oh so it's a horse racing game, I know those, except I've played the water squirting ones.

But I don't see why it warrants a topic :p .

Smithy

Strata Poster
It's because when you enter the park, all you can hear is the annoyingly catchy song, and then it sticks in your head for the entire day.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Okay, I see your problem. You're using the code that Youtube gives you to embed a video (the <param> rubbish).

In future, copy the link in the address bar (if it says uk.youtube, change it to www.youtube) and then put it in [youtube] [/youtube] tags.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm wrong, the code for that is different. But it looks like you're trying to embed something.

coastermac

Roller Poster
Yeah, I was trying to embed a You Tube video, thanks for the tip.
This topic was kind of aimed at people who has seen this attraction before. Sorry, I didn't make that very clear.

My point was they must have had some kind of complaint about it's racial influences or something. Doesn't really deserve a topic, but chill out guys.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I don't see why it warrants a topic

It sort of does really because it implies something much bigger.

It used the be the Arabian Derby, with arabs riding camels (an offensive term for arab is actually "camel jockey"), which could be seen as racist. It's now been changed to Kentucky Derby since it's a proven fact that everyone in Kentucky rides horses, and the song has been changed to reflect that, too.

It's just PC bull **** really, but probably a smart move on Flamingoland's part. They probably would've had complaints about it.

Emmett

Giga Poster
:shock: , racist. I can't really see many of the smaller funfairs which features these machines changing the theme on theirs. Maybe they should change the theme to white europeans making a tit of themselves while riding the camel. That sounds like better fun.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Hahaha we discussed this when we went a couple of weeks ago, had to lol at them keeping the same tune, not as catchy though because I'm so used to the Arabian derby.

Homer

Hyper Poster
I'm from Kentucky and I'm offended that Kentuckians are portrayed in this way. Where's our fried chicken with 11 secret herbs and spices as well as families that marry their cousins? :x

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Great. Now they'll have KFC suing them instead.

There is a horse breed called Arab, but Kentucky only has... chicken. Hey, wait, that would actually be a pretty cool ride. Chicken derby!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Thinking about it, that thing has been around for at least 10 years, so it was probably way passed due for a touch up anyway. It brings in a fair wedge of cash (at least it used to) so they wouldn't want to get rid of it completely, so a rehash of the same thing makes sense. If they keep a few pc whiners happy at the same time, that's a bonus.

coastermac

Roller Poster
Yeah, I thought it was quite good of them too keep it, instead of just buying some kind of 'hight-tech' modern one. I much prefer the classics, much more of an 80's fair ground feel :)

Jake

Strata Poster
Arabian Derby games are gangsta!

Theres one at Drayton too, by the entrance to the zoo.

It's like, the best tune ever. It's stuck in my head now just thinking about it :D.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Here you go!

Come racing on the Arabian Derby
It's here so play it now
Roll the ball to get the score
Ride the winner the prize is yours
Come racing on the Arabian Derby
It's here so play it now.

It's been years, but it's still stuck in my head. ****, I hate that thing....