What's new

"Anubis" - Gerstlauer Launch for Plopsaland

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
As no one has made a topic on this yet, and I'm sick and tired of Medieval poetry (Norwegian class), I'll do it.

As you are all aware of, Gerstlauer has gone into Launch coaster business. Loefet found a new concept of theirs some time ago, and it seemed like Plopsaland in Belgium were getting one. This was quickly confirmed, and the contraption now has a name: Anubis, named after a popular Dutch TV series.

Here's a video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-anTLL25Q[/youtube]

Here's their website, roughly translated from Dutch:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=nl&tl=en

Here's the RCDB page:
http://rcdb.com/m/id4181.htm

The stats, copied and pasted from RCDB, leaving the above link pretty useless:
Roller Coaster: Anubis
Amusement Park: Plopsaland (Adinkerke-De Panne, West-Vlaanderen B-8660 Belgium)
Classification: Roller Coaster
Type: Steel - Sit Down
Builder: Gerstlauer Amusement Rides GmbH
Designer: Ingenieur Büro Stengel GmbH
Lift / Launch System: LSM
Capacity: 700 riders per hour

Length: 600 m
Height: 34 m
Inversions: 3
Speed: 90 kph
Max Acceleration: 0 − 90 kph in 2 seconds
Elements:
- Dive Loop
- Immelmann
- Corkscrew

Trains: 4 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in 3 rows for a total of 6 riders per car.

Theme: Based on a Dutch TV series by the same name, in which a group of teenagers search for a treasure at their boarding school.

And last, and least, my two cents on the ride:
With that name, I was hoping for an Egypt theme, like on Montu, but this can't turn out that bad either. We're already awaiting SAW and Terminator in 2009, so another franchise coaster won't exactly stand out. The layout looks thrilling too, so I'll think this will be a great addition to a small park.

Thoughts?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think that the layout for this ride looks great.

The launch along the flat, into the vertical launch looks great, and the first drop looks really fun. I do think the ride looks a bit short towards the end, it would've benefited from a couple of helices and a few more hills at the end. The section after the MCBR seems just too short and it hits the brakes with quite a lot of speed.

It's a shame that the coaster won't have the Egyptian theme, as that would've been great. However, not knowing anything about Anubis (the show) means I don't really know if it's good thing or a bad thing.

Also, the video is NL (I'm 90% sure), and that car/train type looks lush.

jokerman

Giga Poster
It does seem quite short, and makes me think they'v gone for the height simply to make it gimmicky, and not because it needs it to get around the track. But I suppose most coasters do this a bit, so I'm not gonna worry, and will just wait to see if it's any good.

Mark

Strata Poster
Is it me or do the trains look remarkably like the Mahrur Sohne ones from G-Force...

Still, having visited the park, this coaster will make a very good addition and I look forward to getting a ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Trains!

(Pictures from RCDB, who got them from Plopsa-fansite)
p22510.jpg

p22511.jpg

Nice themeing.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Very well themed trains. If the theming for the coaster is that good then it might be quite a nice experience.

marc

CF Legend
Well if they build the station like the plans showed it should look good, but the actual layout looks like it takes place over grass.

Harvey

Hyper Poster
These smaller and more compact coasters seem to be all the rage these days, I can see these doing well in the future, with the rising costs of materials and land issues dragging the construction costs up, they will appeal to parks in a big way.

The ride looks great, too, obviously, it's only a video, but if that's an accurate representation of speed, it keeps a thrifty pace all the circuit, should be a cracking ride, I look forward to trying it next year.

Jake

Strata Poster
I don't see why people are annoyed that this isn't in the UK - the park is only half an hour from Calais. It's easier to get to from southern Britain than Alton and Blackpool are!

Thom25

Roller Poster
While the ride itself is under one minute - the video shows great pacing and non-stop action for that minute - looks like a GREAT ride!

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
^ Yeah, I think this could easily be one of the best coasters next year. I think Lynet looks fantastic, and this layout is miles better to me. Gerstlauer launched coasters are really exciting to me... they have some very interesting layouts. It'll be nice to see this thing go up to get a better sense of the scale of some of these elements.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
This looks like a really good coaster from that video, hopefully its theming matches it, when its built i hope theres that suspense when you go over that top hat

marc

CF Legend
Oh ok hope so, but the station from the planes looked like it would take some work.

I hope they get it open in time.