What's new

Anti-rollback click faster/louder at top?

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Why do the anti-rollback clicks get suddenly louder as the train starts to curve over the top of the lift (before gravity kicks in).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-EA0l9JUsc

If you watch from 12 seconds you can hear what i mean. A friend said it's because the notches are closer together nearer the top but i can't believe that's true? I assume it's something to do with the angle of the track curving?

I'm just taking a random stab at this, but I think you could be right with the angle/fact that the train is releasing off of the anti rollbacks.. That's all I can really think of, to be honest.

A

Anonymous

I think its more to do with the angle of the track as it arcs from the lift to the top. as the train is going over the tighter angle over the top it is hitting and releising faster and with more force.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Does this mean it's only particularly noticeable on coasters with short trains then? (Dive Machine, Eurofighter)

Ben

CF Legend
Ha, I always assumed that was the noise of it disengaging the chain. And now I've just realised that wouldn't actually make a noise...

A

Anonymous

PMBO is at times loud at the top but around that point the train is starting to fall down the drop so not sure on there. For Dive Machines and Euro Fighters the tight angles could be one thing with the faster and louder hits.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
jokerman said:
No. Colossus at Thorpe is near to deafening sometimes at th top. You can hear it all over the park.

That is one of the reasons I refuse to go on it. ^^ And back on topic yeah I noticed this on the Jungle Coaster too so it probably does have something to do with small cars.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I think its to do with the car pushing tighter to the anti-rollback mechanism on the curves of the lift. Simple as that.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
A-Kid said:
I think its to do with the car pushing tighter to the anti-rollback mechanism on the curves of the lift. Simple as that.

That exact reason didn't cross my mind, but that must be it, thanks!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
You're all half way there.

That sound you get as the trains passes the top is all the combined dogs (front, middle and rear) pushing up and bouncing over the ratchets at a faster rate... ok we've established that but -

You also have the chain catch on the train. Don't forget that it has the same action as the dogs for the anti-rollback. As the train rolls over, those chain catches spring up and down, which is the louder sound you hear as the train speeds up. Thats pretty much it.

Just a bit more -

The only reason why you get quiet anti-rollbacks is to do with the coating on the dogs. Quieter catches often have a rubber compound on them, louder ones usually have nothing.

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
^ Not quite - it's actually the anti-rollback, believe it or not.
I was going to post my pic, but I'm having trouble tracking it down - but fortunately, loefet posted an explanation of a similar device here:
http://www.coasterforce.com/forums//vie ... hp?t=26542
Basically, they haven't maintained it perfectly, and at the top of the lift, the wheel actually isn't aligned quite right with the piece of the lift mechanism that's supposed to turn it, resulting in the anti-rollback actually making contact.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
kitsune said:
PMBO is at times loud at the top but around that point the train is starting to fall down the drop so not sure on there.

What you hear on PMBO is the train being released from the ARB { them few fast clicks before it drops }.

That's probably what you hear on most rides. Oblivion's is much more obvious than some... again its a bigger ARB system.

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
^ I'd be really surprised if it's perfectly synchronized to the rollback and also somehow managing not to produce a distinct enough sound that you can tell two different objects are making the noise.