What's new

Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Bride Coasters

Edward M

Strata Poster
Sorry for the confusing title, but I like it :p.

The topic here is about coasters that are always top 5 or so in people's (or your) lists, but they never seem to be number one. This doesn't mean that they have never been anyone's number one. These coasters are just common among top fives or tens, but they aren't often the number one.

Wildfire may be a good example. For this coaster, most enthusiasts who were able to make the trek there were already well travelled enough to where it wasn't necessarily a top 5 coaster.

As for stateside, I think El Toro these days seems to rarely be number one. However, it is consistently in top fives and tens. I think X2 may also be applicable here. Not to say it isn't number one for a good amount of people, but I tend to see it around the higher fives more often.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I think most, if not all RMCs are to be counted since there's just too many good coasters to have a definitive list throughout the enthusiast community. Some say Twisted Colossus is the best, others say Wicked Cyclone. Some say Lightning Rod, others say Wildfire. There's just no way for people to have ridden multiple RMCs to rank them the same way.

I would also like to nominate Voyage. Yes, a lot of enthusiasts have it as #1, myself included, but a lot more have it as a spot in their top 10/20. Maybe it isn't aging well, maybe it's just too much, or maybe it was too underwhelming. A lot of people have one of those 3 as their answer for not having it at 1.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Dania Beach Hurricane! Florida's former forgotten about wooden gem. https://rcdb.com/622.htm
DB Hurricane was an extremely fun coaster, but never really good enough to be someone's #1. Yet all of my friends who were into coasters that had ridden it....had it in their top 10. It was just almost always at the bottom end. I don't recall ever even meeting an enthusiasts who didn't enjoy the ride, it was just inconvenient to get to and the only ride within a probable 3 hour radius.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Dania Beach Hurricane! Florida's former forgotten about wooden gem. https://rcdb.com/622.htm
DB Hurricane was an extremely fun coaster, but never really good enough to be someone's #1. Yet all of my friends who were into coasters that had ridden it....had it in their top 10. It was just almost always at the bottom end. I don't recall ever even meeting an enthusiasts who didn't enjoy the ride, it was just inconvenient to get to and the only ride within a probable 3 hour radius.
I think I was in the area (Miami Beach at least) some 2 months before it closed for good. Still gutted I didn't know of its existence back then. :/

BigBad

Mega Poster
I have to go with my favorite coaster before I rode Fury 325: Diamondback!

Everyone knows that Diamondback is a fun ride, but I've never seen anyone but me rank it #1. And that #1 ranking wasn't because I hadn't ridden anything else good. By the time I got on Fury and finally jumped Diamondback, I had ridden Millennium Force, Indimidator 305, Nitro, El Toro, Phantom's Revenge, Phoenix, and Skyrush, plus many others that don't focus on air and/or speed like those seven do.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I like the title of the thread!

In terms of European Counts i often see Balder in top 10's usually mingling at around 5th but never any higher.

In terms of US counts and ignoring RMC's I'd say Maverick. 10 years ago it was the new kid on the block and topped a fair few counts but now 10 years on its still hanging on in most peoples counts but is gradually being pipped by the RMC's and typically other woodies.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
In terms of US counts and ignoring RMC's I'd say Maverick. 10 years ago it was the new kid on the block and topped a fair few counts but now 10 years on its still hanging on in most peoples counts but is gradually being pipped by the RMC's and typically other woodies.
Hell yeah, it was my number 2 in 2013. Only dropped out of the top 10 last year and I'm yet to ride it with the new restraints, so could go back in.
Any of my top 5 could easily be a number 1 for most people, Wildfire is probably the least likely, but only due to Taron and Helix being close by.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^I was gonna chip in with a Nemesis comment here, but I see Rachel beat me to it. As sad as this is to admit, I think Nemesis' days as a bride are over. More like the bride's mother nowadays... :(
I had it as my number 1 for 22 years but I probably held it there for longer than most people to be honest.
Still, you can't say the old girl didn't have a good run at the top. Bless her.