What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

spicy

Giga Poster
To be expected really, doesn't have the best throughput?

Anyone that has managed to actually get on it - how does it compare to Fun Spot's White Lightning?

Lofty

CF Legend
I know right. Why haven't Towers got a back up Wickerman Ride for when the queues get this long on the first time they have soft opened the ride to the general public. I am sure if they knew you weren't hanging around they would have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I wasn't saying in as though I deserve less queues - just that I absolutely wouldn't queue 2 hours for it*.

*If I already had the cred.

WhollyRudeTech

Roller Poster
I wasn't saying in as though I deserve less queues - just that I absolutely wouldn't queue 2 hours for it*.

My tongue was firmly in my check :) my back wouldn't hold up for a two hour queue but I guess with my blue badge I could join a shorter line right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
To be expected really, doesn't have the best throughput?

Anyone that has managed to actually get on it - how does it compare to Fun Spot's White Lightning?

I rode it on the Friday event (haven’t had a chance to properly brag yet mind) and I’ve not ridden White lighting only Heidi but what I will say is that whilst the airtime isn’t as direct or as prominent the twisty sections and interactions with the Wickerman are much more forceful / aggressive than any on White lightening / Heidi. There is airtime on Wicker Man however the actual airtime hills weren’t as forceful as those on Heidi but the better airtime comes in the corners and twisty track around the tunnels through the Wicker Man statue.

I got loads of rides all over the train and definitely preferred the back row for the better airtime. The middle row was also nowhere near as bland as I expected it to be. It’s genuinely pretty good all around and is quite easily my second favourite coaster at Alton! I would have liked a day ride to fully compare as I imagine riding in the dark is a heightened experience but nonetheless I think Alton are onto a winner.

Lastly the pre show and station are both excellent. The story surrounding the ride is easily up with Hex’s.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

Tbf mark I don’t think many people already have the cred considering it’s the first public opening ;)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Genuinely doubt it's got a 2 hour queue at the moment either. They'll no doubt be inflating it to factor in teething problems, staff getting used to the ride, etc. It'll still be a long wueue, but a 2 hour queue on a Tuesday afternoon? Nah.

Peet

Giga Poster
I'm pleased to hear the GP have turned up in force to ride, the more crowds it draws the more likely we are to get a woodie at Thorpe Park or any of the other Merlin parks, so I'm highly encouraged by a 2 hour queue on a term-time Tuesday.
I wonder how much Wicker Man fast tracks are selling for!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Now you got me thinking... surely most people would think like that. "I've ridden it before, I won't queue two hours for it". But if the wait was significantly shorter, people might give it a go anyway. So if the park was full of people who had already ridden a specific coaster, what is the longest the line would ever get? When does equilibrium happen?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Lastly the pre show and station are both excellent. The story surrounding the ride is easily up with Hex’s.

Really? Wow, that is the most exciting thing I've heard about this project to date. Hex is one of the best preshows in the world for me so that is praise indeed. Actually excited to ride the thing now.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
RCDB now classes this ride as operating, even though it has only soft opened.

I've just realized, when Wicker Man officially opens, Alton Towers will have more operating roller coasters than any other theme park in the UK.

Libby_Liz

Roller Poster
We were there today and loitered around for a good few hours after lunch watching the tracks being checked and what not. They eventually started sending trains around 2ish I think and opened up just before 3 and we were on about the 4th or 5th train maybe - the queue was reasonably long but not horrendous, a couple of hundred max. There was a lot of faff with the preshow (wrong buttons being pressed, doors opening when they shouldn't etc) so it's no surprise the wait was long (not sure of it actually was 2 hours though), better to get it ironed out ahead of Saturday.

The park in general was dead, most things were walk ons or a 5 min wait. We counted less than 10 rows of cars in the main car park and we left half an hour before it shut.

Wicker Man was fab, the theming definitely makes it and there are some really nice touches. The ride itself is good, probably exactly what is expected and a nice addition to AT. I really like GCIs so it's nice to have one on the doorstep, even if it is a tad short.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Just to add, the ride does feel somewhat short and there is a corner of nothingness aptly dubbed ‘the boring corner’ which almost feels like a MCBR. Not because you stop or slow down but it just acts a momentary pause before you head down over the last few elements. You can see the corner in the below POV which has been very poorly sped up!

This is something that could be greatly improved IMO.