What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

scw55

Hyper Poster
As someone who enjoys atmosphere and visual appearance, I am excited.
If the ride appeals to enthusiasts and members of the public, that would be nice.

Jared

Hyper Poster
See, I’m not so bothered about all the marketing hype, how it looks, whether it’s fast or slow etc. I’m just glad that when I’m next at Towers it’ll be a different ride experience on offer. Sure, the theming looks fab, the layout looks okay I guess and the story sounds cool, but I’m more excited by the fact that it’s different.

Dar

Hyper Poster
It's no real surprise, especially if you managed to watch the drone video before. Such a missed opportunity :(

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^I'm just gonna sit back and assume the "people that have ridden it" haven't been on another GCI.
I'd hazard a guess I say that anyone whose ridden it this early on are probably fairly important people in this project and so would most likely have ridden other GCIs or similar rides (like Amanda with Liseberg). As has been said before by people, park managers ride all sorts of different rides anyway when choosing a new project, making it more likely that they'd have been on a GCI at some point previously. Could be completely talking out of my arse about this though.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
^ You're saying that like 'park managers' at Merlin have a large say in what gets built, when in reality, the Marketing departments has the largest say.
The marketing department didn't get a say in whether the ride was a GCI or a Gravity Group, which it very nearly was :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'd hazard a guess I say that anyone whose ridden it this early on are probably fairly important people in this project and so would most likely have ridden other GCIs or similar rides (like Amanda with Liseberg). As has been said before by people, park managers ride all sorts of different rides anyway when choosing a new project, making it more likely that they'd have been on a GCI at some point previously. Could be completely talking out of my arse about this though.
Probably right,but like @Lofty said, your typical park manager won't have made a decision like this. Just bear in mind that most of these "fairly important people" won't be honest if it's a massive pile of garbage will they?
It's the opinions of respected people in their field who's comments should be paid attention to, like John, who's very much criticised it.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Probably right,but like @Lofty said, your typical park manager won't have made a decision like this. Just bear in mind that most of these "fairly important people" won't be honest if it's a massive pile of garbage will they?
If the people who ordered and paid for it (and are therefore expecting it to be decent) have come off it saying it was "surprisingly" good it doesn't bode well for the rest of us. It's like eating food from the garbage and declaring it "surprisingly" tasty.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
It's the opinions of respected people in their field who's comments should be paid attention to, like John, who's very much criticised it.
Yeah that's true. I mean I originally just meant that they'd have ridden GCIs before, but after all, that doesn't really matter, they're still gonna say whatever makes it sound good.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
If the people who have ridden it are involved in the project they're hardly going to say it is pants are they.......

And I expect (well, know) a lot of those people won't be up to date on the latest good wooden coasters.

Dave

CF Legend
The last few posts have reminded me of that amazing video of Amanda Thompson riding Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Looks pretty ****e too. £80... yeahhhh because all those 13 years old Towers fanboys have a casual 80 lying about for some cheaply produced tat. Most are still paying off annual passes. Poor wallets.