What's new

Alton Towers Trip Report 19th and 20th February 2010

wabbit42

Mega Poster
This is my first TR

Alton Towers trip report: 19th and 20th February 2010

After a day and night of constant snow, we were skeptical as to whether the park would be open, but turned up at 930 anyway, glad to see an empty car park with the park definitely not closed. The monorail wasn't working so we had a bus to take us to the entrance. We immediately headed for Nemesis and air, but when we arrived were told that because of the snow the rides would remain closed until the snow melted, which he said would be up to an hour. We walked over to air and noticed  the first train ascending the lift hill, and as it passed the fly to lie the snow was thrown off, covering everyone below. We joined a makeshift queue outside the actual queue and after about an hour were on the ride. The back seat was forceful and gives a good ride, and we queued again and got a second back seat ride. We then did Nemesis front seat, which didn't offer a good a ride as row 4 later in the day. We went to duel which I found enjoyable for my first time and I got 34300 which I didn't think was so bad. We took a ride on runaway mine train which didn't offer what I expected, and visited spinball. The new colours look good IMO but the queue was 70 mins which isn't worth it. Oblivion was experiencing problems which was yet more ride downtime so we returned to Nemmy and did row 4. Back row blade had modest air time and by then it was 420, 10 mins before the rides closed. We went to air, no queue whatsoever and settled into the seat. 5 mins passed just sitting there before they lifted us, but it was no to be. After hanging in the station for 5 minutes they let us off and ran one empty. Then we got our go and there was a unanimous cheer when we set off. Left hanging for another five on the brake run... . We then got another bus to the car park.

After another night of snow we knew there would be ride closures but when we got to the park were treated to the nice surprise of complimentary express parking so we didn't have to get another bus to the entrance. We heard air was already open so queued 45 mins for front seat air which was worth the wait and is far superior to any other seat on the ride. We saw Nemesis testing so were first in the single rider queue and twenty minutes later were on the first train of the day ;-). We did 3 more rides on Nemmy  and then went on to Duel where I got 49700 and did Rinaway Mine Train which was having difficulties in the wet. We went to Spinball, which was even better than I remember and went on it twice. It offered a good manic ride and was enjoyable, one of the few decent rides I can go on without worrying about losing my glasses :--D. Squirrel Nutty Ride was faster than I remember :lol: . Queued for air again, but broke down at exactly the same time as the previous day and they sent out two empty trains before we finally got our second from row ride of the day. With seventeen minutes before ride close, we hopped on Nemmy single rider and then blade three times in a row. And that was that.

Overall, I found the visit enjoyable, but was severely let down by late openings of rides and constant breakdowns.
I typed this on my iTouch Keyboard ( you know what they're like ) so there may be the odd spelling mistake, sorry.

wabbit42